Calorie restriction: questions about the math

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Calorie restriction: questions about the math

Postby spinner » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:46 pm

Hi Jeff. How does an individual determine the calorie level for a CR diet? Seems like one would need to factor in gender, age, height, and physical activity. Is there a formula, albeit crude, that would yield a daily calorie intake range for a given individual?

I'm asking this because it's really hard for me to quit eating when I'm comfortably full. I want to keep eating and then I end up overeating. I thought if I had a structured plan based on CR it might help me define boundaries to consumption. I'd like to reset my expectations of how much to eat.

Thanks!
spinner

Re: Calorie restriction: questions about the math

Postby JeffN » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:54 pm

spinner wrote:Hi Jeff. How does an individual determine the calorie level for a CR diet? Seems like one would need to factor in gender, age, height, and physical activity. Is there a formula, albeit crude, that would yield a daily calorie intake range for a given individual?

I'm asking this because it's really hard for me to quit eating when I'm comfortably full. I want to keep eating and then I end up overeating. I thought if I had a structured plan based on CR it might help me define boundaries to consumption. I'd like to reset my expectations of how much to eat.

Thanks!

Good question in regard to the math but it has no answer.

However, for math's sake, here is a recent link to a discussion on the formula.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=52375#p576994

In regard to boundaries to consumption, I will tell you that the majority of those who practice CR, especially l/t, are very (very) disciplined people so it is not used as a method to control eating.

IMH(P&P)O, I do not think it would work well for that.

I think the best approach is to follow the principles of the 5 Pillars and of Calorie Density and adjust the plate as necessary to find the sweet spot between satiety and caloric balance and to control your personal environment as much as possible. You have to set yourself up for success and remove as many barriers as possible.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby spinner » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:47 am

Thanks, Jeff.
Finding that sweet spot is what I need to work on. For me, it will be a balancing act of having enough starches to be full but not so much that I thwart weight loss efforts. The five pillars and principles of calorie density are key. Having an environment that supports them will be a bit of a challenge. My husband is a junk food vegetarian and shows no real interest in changing, so I am on my own. Thank you for all your guidance.
spinner

Postby JeffN » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:59 am

spinner wrote:Thanks, Jeff.
Finding that sweet spot is what I need to work on. For me, it will be a balancing act of having enough starches to be full but not so much that I thwart weight loss efforts. .

Finding The Sweet Spot: Balancing Calorie Density, Nutrient Density & Satiety
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=22432&p=217427

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby spinner » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:26 am

Excellent explanation in the link. Thank you!
spinner

Return to Jeff Novick, RD