Rebounding for health?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Rebounding for health?

Postby figlover » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:09 pm

I enjoyed your 'using the stairs' post and all the data confirming the benefits, but I don't have easy access to a bunch of stairs and I would bet a good many don't. Sooo....

An alternative to stairs might be a rebounder. I use one kinda like a stair stepper except more vigorously. It's always accessible next to my work (seating) area and using it seems to counteract whatever stasis my body has dialed in:) Plus, the most important aspect is....FUN. It feels like play no matter how hard I attack it, and it reminds me of stair work I used to do during the 70's running boom. In my 60's now I don't like the road so much but this Bellicon rebounder is quite nice.

What do you think? Have you rebounded? Thanks for all your info over the years!!!!
I forum here cause I have no where else to go.
figlover

Re: Rebounding for health?

Postby JeffN » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:47 am

figlover wrote:I enjoyed your 'using the stairs' post and all the data confirming the benefits, but I don't have easy access to a bunch of stairs and I would bet a good many don't. Sooo....

An alternative to stairs might be a rebounder. I use one kinda like a stair stepper except more vigorously. It's always accessible next to my work (seating) area and using it seems to counteract whatever stasis my body has dialed in:) Plus, the most important aspect is....FUN. It feels like play no matter how hard I attack it, and it reminds me of stair work I used to do during the 70's running boom. In my 60's now I don't like the road so much but this Bellicon rebounder is quite nice.

What do you think? Have you rebounded? Thanks for all your info over the years!!!!

Any safe exercise/activity we get that we enjoy & keeps us active, and from being sedentary is good.

If you enjoy the rebounder and it helps you get in your activity/exercise, then you should keep doing it.

My posts on Intermittent Walking and Take the Stairs are to try and show simple easy fun ways that have been proven successful for people to get in the activity who may not currently be doing it. It is not to pursued anyone that these forms are better then any other or to get people to switch to them.

Having said that, if you want to delve a little more deeper, the stairs did prove to be better then just the walking or cycling. And, the Walking can be done by anyone anywhere without any equipment. I am curious as to whether there are stairs where you work.

Rebounding hay a heyday about 35 years ago because of a single study NASA did. Many websites promote miraculous benefits to rebounding, most of which are not true though still persist. The study was never replicated and more recent research didn't show the same benefits. I used to have one also used to love to use a trampoline. Gymnastics was a hobby of mine.

Rebounding is estimated to burn around the same amount of calories as leisurely cycling or walking 2.5-3.0 mph. Of course, this is based on the effort you put in. Whether it actually is weight-bearing or not, which it used to claim, is debated and it usually not recommended as such. It is very good for balance and good for basic aerobic benefit.

The one problem with rebounding is there is a higher rate of injury related to it.

So, if you understand all the above, then my position is, any safe exercise/activity we get that we enjoy & keeps us active, and from being sedentary is good.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby figlover » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:42 am

JeffN wrote:
The one problem with rebounding is there is a higher rate of injury related to it.

You mean the catapulting kind? But that's the fun part. :D

Really though, the stairs are much more intense, which I just discovered after doing 6 minutes of continuous ascending and descending.
I do have stairs here at home and I will incorporate this into the mix. I'm also lucky to have a steeply angled 125ft. hill less than a mile away here in and otherwise flat location. Controlling the downhill waking motion becomes apparent if you've taken the attitude that no effort is required to descend. Pain in the hip joints the following day. Ouch!

I guess I did fall for the hype about rebounders initially but I do enjoy the creativity of movement it allows and the way one can accentuate the lateral forces without much jolting.

Now, if I could just find a woman that would let me piggy back her down the street, to the market and back, I'd have it all covered.
I forum here cause I have no where else to go.
figlover

Postby JeffN » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:14 am

figlover wrote:
JeffN wrote:

You mean the catapulting kind? But that's the fun part. :D

Yeah, I know. Just don't get hurt. Then you can't do anything.

figlover wrote: Really though, the stairs are much more intense, which I just discovered after doing 6 minutes of continuous ascending and descending.

There is much more of an "anaerobic" component and may also be why they seemed to work a little better in regard to blood sugar.

figlover wrote:I do have stairs here at home and I will incorporate this into the mix. I'm also lucky to have a steeply angled 125ft. hill less than a mile away here in and otherwise flat location. Controlling the downhill waking motion becomes apparent if you've taken the attitude that no effort is required to descend. Pain in the hip joints the following day. Ouch!

Great. And yes, you have to be careful on the downhill, especially on hills. I hiked the Grand Canyon, top to bottom, three times and you quickly learn how hard controlling the downhill part of walking is.

figlover wrote:Now, if I could just find a woman that would let me piggy back her down the street, to the market and back, I'd have it all covered.

Good luck. :)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD