Breakfast?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Breakfast?

Postby PJK » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:04 am

Jeff: Hi, after reading your current thread on "best yogurt," I'm wondering what you recommend for breakfast?

You seem to be down on both packaged cereals and nondairy milk. Combined, I'm guessing they're even worse, since the former generally needs more than a "splash" of the latter.

Bread seems to be out, too, due to its high calorie density. I'd guess that's also true for McDougall-compliant pancakes.

So that leaves oatmeal...and what else? I can eat oatmeal happily a couple times a week, but not every day. Suggestions, please?
PJK

Re: Breakfast?

Postby JeffN » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:42 pm

PJK wrote: I'm wondering what you recommend for breakfast?

Depends on you, your current situation and your health goals.

Since 80% of Americans are overweight or obese, about 80% don't meet the minimum exercise requirements and considering that the majority of our killers are still the lifestyle related disease, CVD, DB, HTN, etc, my preference is for most of us is to follow the MWL (which I have called in the forums many times, the maximum weight loss and health program). I think its guidelines are much clearer with much less gray too, so most of my recommendations come from that perspective. Then, once someone reaches their health goals, they can experiment with some combo of the MWL and regular plan or just stay with the MWL, adjusting the principles as needed.

PJK wrote: So that leaves oatmeal...and what else? I can eat oatmeal happily a couple times a week, but not every day. Suggestions, please?

If you are on the regular program, then you have much more choices and a wider variety. You can easily see them in all the breakfast recipes listed in the recipe section on this website.

If you are on MWL, then any MWL approved meal can be had for breakfast. It doesn't have to be the traditional oatmeal or cold cereal or toast breakfast choices.

And, if you don't like oatmeal, any intact whole grain cereal (rice, quinoa, millet), or any starchy vegetables (potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc) with fruit. Many people choose to have rice and veggies or rice, beans and veggies for breakfast (which was always on the breakfast menu on the Costa Rica trips), some choose hash brown potatoes (diced potatoes with onions, peppers, and other veggies), or a steamed stir-fry of veggies and an intact whole grain and.or starchy vegetable.

If you have a favorite MWL meal, just have it for breakfast too. :)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD