Recommended ConsumerLab topics?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Recommended ConsumerLab topics?

Postby Doug_ » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:22 pm

Jeff,

In order to finally know the B12 brands I can trust, I signed up for a brief membership with Consumer Reports. What other reports would you recommend I take a look at, that many people might not think to consider? All I can think of right now is D supplements (mostly so that I can recommend certain brands to sun-averse people who ask me -- I take the sunshine route personally). Are there other things unrelated to supplements entirely that you find interesting and might recommend?
Last edited by Doug_ on Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug_

Re: Recommended ConsumerReports topics?

Postby Doug_ » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:28 pm

I should clarify that it's ConsumerLab.com
Doug_

Re: Recommended ConsumerLab topics?

Postby JeffN » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:38 am

I corrected the title

By far, the main benefit for the subscription is for the analysis of supplements.

I have been a member since the beginning and the main benefit to me is to be aware of how poor these supplements test out and their reviews of the literature. Usually fairly good and if anything a good place to start, It helps because so many clients believe these are all miracle products. And, if there is ever a need for a product, their analysis is invaluable in helping make the choice.

You also get free access to the Natural and Alternative Treatments™ Encyclopedia, which is fun to look through. While they also review supplements here, it is not quite as extensive as when they did a full review and product analysis.

Their Q&A section is also pretty good and I find their answer fairy on most of the time.

Enjoy

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Sun May 06, 2018 11:14 am

If you received their newsletter today, you will see what I enjoy what they do so much.

They just published their analysis of green tea (supplements, brewed, bottled, etc). Their best buy out of brewed green teas was good old Lipton Green Tea (lowest cost/ECGC and passed all quality & purity testing.

Imagine that? :)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Doug_ » Sun May 06, 2018 12:20 pm

Thanks Jeff. I appreciated the recommendations you shared in the previous comment as well.

It's definitely amusing when the least fancy products in fact end up being the best choice. Like regular old table salt in general having the lowest contamination.

Also, despite the approval of this particular brand from consumerLab, I'm assuming your previous recommendations and warnings on green tea stand?

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5973#p40895
Doug_

Postby JeffN » Sun May 06, 2018 12:35 pm

Doug_ wrote:Thanks Jeff. I appreciated the recommendations you shared in the previous comment as well.

It's definitely amusing when the least fancy products in fact end up being the best choice. Like regular old table salt in general having the lowest contamination.

Also, despite the approval of this particular brand from consumerLab, I'm assuming your previous recommendations and warnings on green tea stand?

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5973#p40895

Yes. They cover all those issues. The good news is that they ones that passed also passed on purity (lack of or low level of heavy metals)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD