elimination diet

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

elimination diet

Postby Maer » Sun May 06, 2018 3:49 pm

Hi Jeff,

When you consider an extreme elimination diet for someone who seems to react to "everything", do you even have to be suspicious of cooked vegetables?

Maybe another way to word this question is, have you ever considered having someone just eat sweet potatoes and no other calorie source (no other food at all) for a period of time? I'm not thinking a calorie-reduced diet, just a variety-reduced diet!

Thanks,
Maer
Maer

Re: elimination diet

Postby JeffN » Sun May 06, 2018 4:05 pm

Maer wrote:Hi Jeff,

When you consider an extreme elimination diet for someone who seems to react to "everything", do you even have to be suspicious of cooked vegetables?

Maybe another way to word this question is, have you ever considered having someone just eat sweet potatoes and no other calorie source (no other food at all) for a period of time? I'm not thinking a calorie-reduced diet, just a variety-reduced diet!

Yes.

All the time

I think you will appreciate this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48950

In health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: elimination diet

Postby Maer » Sun May 06, 2018 6:13 pm

Thank you! That is very helpful.

Do you also have a list of less-common, more-common offenders in the nonstarchy vegetable realm? I've read that spinach and nightshades can be reactive (and you already have tomatoes listed), but I'm guessing after that, it's very individual.

Maer
Maer

Return to Jeff Novick, RD