Americans and fiber through the decades

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Americans and fiber through the decades

Postby Branson » Sat May 19, 2018 10:38 am

Say from 1900 until now.

I want to know if Americans began to eat more and more fiber since say the 70s, or really the fiber has pretty much stayed the same throughout?

It seems the plant based are the only ones getting the fiber.

Ive tried searching and cant come up with anything. It is always macronutrient carb fat protein. Got anythiing?

Thanks
Branson

Re: Americans and fiber through the decades

Postby JeffN » Sat May 19, 2018 10:52 am

JeffN

Postby Branson » Sat May 19, 2018 11:15 am

That was fast.

I cant find from 1900 and up to say 1980.

So for say 40 years it has remained constant at under 16g fiber. But has it merely continued the same from the depression to disco?
Branson

Postby JeffN » Sat May 19, 2018 12:25 pm

Branson wrote:That was fast.

I cant find from 1900 and up to say 1980.

So for say 40 years it has remained constant at under 16g fiber. But has it merely continued the same from the depression to disco?

I can give you some estimates going back to 1900 which indicate higher intakes (~19 - 21g/day), but it is based on some "crude" data.

However, we know it was somewhat higher because most of the cereals and grains (leading source of fiber in USA) where not as processed. Same with with veggies, including non starchy and starchy vegetables which were another leading source of fiber, and fruits. Remember about 75% of the diet is processed foods today, with 61% being in the form of highly processed foods.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Branson » Sat May 19, 2018 3:14 pm

I appreciate that you would comment even with crude data ha!

So Americans stuck with the potatoes and bread/wheat. But then cuz wheat has scads of fiber, all the bread and muffins and pies made after white flour would have knocked down so much of fiber intake. I betcha that alone halved the fiber intake.
Im baseing this on nothing but a guess.

And I bet pre-white flour they also ate more calories because they had to physically work.

From disco until now with the amount of announcements eat fiber whole grains veggie fruits eat fiber hasnt made any change in 40 years!

Here is an enjoyable article https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/white-b ... 52463.html
and it says that in the 1930's more than 30% of calories came from white bread.
Branson

Return to Jeff Novick, RD