Glacier Water - Redux

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Glacier Water - Redux

Postby Doug_ » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:39 pm

JeffN wrote:I have several 5 gallon and 3 gallon containers that I keep full.

Any reason for someone to not use the typical blue plastic jugs for storing water (if there's any reason for kids or pregnant women or anyone to avoid the plastic)?

Thanks!
Doug_

Re: Glacier Water - Redux

Postby JeffN » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:01 am

It’s one of those rabbit holes and from my perspective, it wouldn’t be a major concern for most people.

Having said that....

many plastics claim to be BPA free but may contain similar or other chemicals of concern. There is the Resin Identification Code system on plastics that give you some information on safety but there is no clear cut answer on safety, just potentially lower risk.

https://www.lifewithoutplastic.com/stor ... y-i8YopDmo

Probably the safest two options are stainless steel and glass but it is not always convenient to lug 3-5 gallons of water in either one.

Many companies that sell home-based water purification systems are using Tritan which is supposed to be free of these chemicals that cause estrogen and hormone activity but even that has its naysayers.

We use glass as much as possible and stainless steel. Our favorites are Pyrex, Libbey, Duralex and Anchor Hocking for glass which consistently test contaminant free. Same for Kleen Kanteen pure stainless steel water bottles.

But, again, most of us have much bigger potatoes to bake then to worry about this.

While I try to plan ahead, if I am out and thirsty, I wouldn’t think twice about grabbing a water or sparkling water in a plastic bottle and have my emergency water supply in 3 and 5 gallon plastic jugs, some made of tritan. :)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD