Optimum BMI - question

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Optimum BMI - question

Postby geo » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:40 pm

In the latest study you posted the abstract concluded in this way:

This meta-analysis suggests that in normal range of obesity indexes, as lean as possible may be the best suggestion to prevent hypertension incidence.

This statement really seems to conflate BMI and leaness (which is more a measure of bodyfat). We have talked about this before and this makes the distinction between the two confusing. I.e., is the lower end of healthy BMI range more important to prevent hypertension or is it being leaner (I.e., lower bodyfat) the more important marker (at least for hypertension).

I'm guessing that this is probably more an unfortunate choice of words and that the lower end of healthy BMI is really the more important of the two as per other studies.
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Re: Optimum BMI - question

Postby JeffN » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:27 am

geo wrote:In the latest study you posted the abstract concluded in this way:

This meta-analysis suggests that in normal range of obesity indexes, as lean as possible may be the best suggestion to prevent hypertension incidence.

This statement really seems to conflate BMI and leaness (which is more a measure of bodyfat). We have talked about this before and this makes the distinction between the two confusing. I.e., is the lower end of healthy BMI range more important to prevent hypertension or is it being leaner (I.e., lower bodyfat) the more important marker (at least for hypertension).

I'm guessing that this is probably more an unfortunate choice of words and that the lower end of healthy BMI is really the more important of the two as per other studies.

I agree the comment isn't clear and shared my thoughts when the AICR did the same thing. So, does the American Cancer Society.

They way they are wording it could be referring to BMI (which I believe the AICR was), or to both BMI (healthy range) and percent body fat (lean).

In the end, these have to be applied to the individual.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD