Ghee

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Ghee

Postby Dottie » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:22 am

Hi Jeff,

My thoughts from the start of the Uk fad on all things coconut, was confirmed today as I read your review on coconut oil as a superfood. Thanks.

I'm presently reading and interested in exploring Ayurveda, but have immediate concerns in the use of ghee, for what seems like everything.

Have you done or can you do a review on ghee? Here's 1 study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3215354/

Obviously I appreciate on the SS we don't use milk or fat, but I would like to know from a scientific point of view, the use of ghee. To be fair to ayurveda, studies need to be using the traditional way of making ghee, which is first creating a curd/yoghurt. This is apparently important, as modern shop bought/produced ghee misses this stage to save money.

I've never had weight issues, presently weigh 104 pounds, height 4'11". Thus my question above is not the fear of giving up fat, but if there is a benefit to using ghee with ayurveda practices. Rather than my interest in daily consumption of ghee and/or using it as an excuse to eat fat, lol.

Ta very much,

BB
Dottie

Re: Ghee

Postby JeffN » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:33 am

Ghee is clarified butter.

As such, it is 100% fat and about 65% saturated fat and about 35 mg cholesterol per tbsp.

It’s calorie density is 3977 cal/lb

You will find many discussion in this forum on the concerns with using high fat, high saturated fat, high calorie dense foods.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Ghee

Postby Dottie » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:38 pm

I agree with you, ghee certainly don't sound healthy to westerners, never mind anyone following the SS.

Thanks for responding, delay in me viewing reply as it was my 1st time on the board and I failed to tick the box to be notified.

Happy 60th and young body test results, very impressive.
Dottie

Return to Jeff Novick, RD