Maltodextrin

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Maltodextrin

Postby verde » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:10 am

Hi Jeff!

Hope you're enjoying the holidays and having a wonderful time!

I have a question: what is maltodextrin? Why is it added to so many foods (I'm seeing it on a lot of vegan products, even in soy milk!)? And what are the potential side effects of its consumption?

I've googled it but find too many different opinions, it's hard to know what's right.

Thank you in advance for clarifying this!

Joana
verde

Re: Maltodextrin

Postby JeffN » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:18 am

It is usually made from starch (corn, potato, rice or wheat) and is made up of short chains of glucose molecules and is easily absorbed.

It is used as a thickener, a filler, to add texture and mouthfeel so mostly seen in processed/packaged foods.

While not a health food, In small amounts, of which it is usually found, it is harmless

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Maltodextrin

Postby verde » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:16 am

JeffN wrote:It is usually made from starch (corn, potato, rice or wheat) and is made up of short chains of glucose molecules and is easily absorbed.

It is used as a thickener, a filler, to add texture and mouthfeel so mostly seen in processed/packaged foods.

While not a health food, In small amounts, of which it is usually found, it is harmless

In Health
Jeff

Thank you so much for answering! I had been waiting for the notification from posts on this thread but it never came! Today I looked for it manually and found you had already answered! I guess I forgot to subscribe to the topic... I've just corrected that.

Anyway, thank you! So basically it's a simple sugar? I'm assuming it also has calories? Also do you think it can cause gas? I guess maybe depending on the doses used, right?

Thank you again!

PS - I've recently re-watched your video on YouTube titled "When fat free really means 100% fat". What a classic! You crack me up every time! It's one of my favorite YouTube videos (been on my personal favorites playlist for 5 years now). You're a genius Jeff! I even posted a picture of you lecturing on Instagram to spread the message (account: @grains_and_greens ). I wish you posted more on YouTube.
Btw, is that really your cousin on your older videos? Is she vegan?
verde

Return to Jeff Novick, RD