Thinning hair

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Thinning hair

Postby Quiver0f10 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:50 pm

I am a 39 yo female really good health. I just got back from getting my hair cut and the hair dresser commented that the top of my head is very thin. She was concerned enough to suggest I see my Dr. She isn't sure if I am losing hair or it is breaking.

She asked if I was on any medications or had a recent illness. I am on armour thyroid, which I have been on for @ 7-9 months and was on synthroid previously for the last 15 years. No illness other than I started having gallbladder issues ayear ago, but still have my GB. I have lost 86#s in the last 13 months through a low fat, high fiber diet and have been vegan for the last 5 months. I excersise 5-6 days a week.

Can eating too little fat cause this? The vegan diet? Or something else completely? I am really worried and plan to see my Dr next week.
Jean
Quiver0f10

Re: Thinning hair

Postby JeffN » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:35 pm

Quiver0f10 wrote:
She asked if I was on any medications or had a recent illness. I am on armour thyroid, which I have been on for @ 7-9 months and was on synthroid previously for the last 15 years. No illness other than I started having gallbladder issues ayear ago, but still have my GB. I have lost 86#s in the last 13 months through a low fat, high fiber diet and have been vegan for the last 5 months. I excersise 5-6 days a week.

Can eating too little fat cause this? The vegan diet? Or something else completely? I am really worried and plan to see my Dr next week.

Hi Jean,

Congratulations on your weight loss!

I do not know of any evidence that a well planned low fat vegan diet can result in hair thinning or hair loss.

Some people do experience some hair thinning or hair loss after a rapid loss of a significant amount of weight, as you have done. It is not common, but can occur, but it is a temporary transient phenomenon, if it does occur and will usually resolve itself on its own once weight is stabilized and an adequate diet is maintained. So, make sure you are eating as well as you can.

In addition, the PDR says that armour thyroid may be associated with some temporary hair loss, so maybe there is a relationship there.

In Health
Jeff Novick, MS, RD
JeffN

Postby Quiver0f10 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:17 am

Thank you, Jeff. I am curious though, I still have 40ish pounds to lose. Will I continue to have hair loss as I lose or will it eventually stop, even though I am restricting calories/excersizing? I do think I eat well and take in between 1300-1600 calories a day and I am losing @ 1# a week. I don't want to be bald, but I don't want to be fat and unhealthy too.
Jean
Quiver0f10

Postby JeffN » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:32 am

Quiver0f10 wrote:Thank you, Jeff. I am curious though, I still have 40ish pounds to lose. Will I continue to have hair loss as I lose or will it eventually stop, even though I am restricting calories/excersizing? I do think I eat well and take in between 1300-1600 calories a day and I am losing @ 1# a week. I don't want to be bald, but I don't want to be fat and unhealthy too.

Usually any hair loss associated with weight loss is due to extreme rapid weight loss. I would not consider 1# a week, extreme or rapid, but a healthy pace, so it may not even be related. I just mentioned it so you knew.

However, even it is was related, it is always a temporary transient issue so I would not worry.

In Health
Jeff Novick, MS, RD
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD