How do you feel about "Air Fryers?"

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

How do you feel about "Air Fryers?"

Postby tvalleav10 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:08 am

Jeff,

I have been using an "air fryer" at work to prepare potatoes for lunch. I find that, for me, this has been a very convenient way to keep on the starch-based path. As I learn more about your teachings on calorie density, it occurs to me that I am increasing the calorie density of the potatoes by removing so much water (my "fries" are a bit crispy by the time they are done).

I was hoping you could give me direction on whether or not these machines are advisable for someone wanting to follow your teachings on CD.

In case it matters, I cut the potatoes into wedges and run the machine at 350 degrees for 19 minutes.

Thanks for any advice.

Tony
tvalleav10

Re: How do you feel about "Air Fryers?"

Postby JeffN » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:21 am

Personally, I don't own an air-fryer (or an Instant Pot, Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Vita-mix, Spiralizer, etc etc) nor do I have any plans to get any of them.

The reason is, I don't think any special gadget, tool, pot or pan is required for success on the program. The simpler we keep things, the more likely we are to follow them. Sure, people find some fun in exploring these types of products and what they can do, but to me, the real fun is being able to achieve decades of adherence, results and success. I can put my favorite meals together in 10-15 minutes including clean up and I have never found a gadget that can help me improve upon that.

But that's me.

If it works for you, great. Enjoy. :)

Yes, all these "gadgets" can be used along with the principles of calorie density but the best cooking methods to preserve calorie density are water-based like steaming, boiling, water sautéing. This doesn't mean you can't microwave, bake, broil, roast, etc but those methods all dry out your food. Some drying will have little to no impact on calorie density, but eventually it can increase the calorie density to a point that matters (boiled potatoes to crispy potato chips)

In regard to cooking potatoes and calorie density, you may find this article helpful

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48112

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby tvalleav10 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:07 am

JeffN wrote:

In regard to cooking potatoes and calorie density, you may find this article helpful

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48112

In Health
Jeff

Jeff, thanks much for the quick response and the article on potatoes and calorie density. I will be trying "chubby chips" tonight!

Tony
tvalleav10

Postby JeffN » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:10 am

tvalleav10 wrote:Jeff, thanks much for the quick response and the article on potatoes and calorie density. I will be trying "chubby chips" tonight!

Tony

Enjoy!!

We had them last night for dinner!

With a home-made hummus dip.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8765&p=64499&#p64499

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD