Losing weight and healthy bones in postmenopausal women

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Losing weight and healthy bones in postmenopausal women

Postby Suebee » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:26 pm

Not too long ago I read that any woman who weighs less than 127 pounds is at increased risk for osteoporosis and that any weight-loss diet also results in loss of bone mass. Now I am afraid to lose weight. I am almost 60 and postmenopausal but I still get hot flashes. I weigh perhaps 10 pounds more than I should if I want to be at a low weight for my height, which is 5'4" and weigh about 134 pounds. Would losing weight slowly save my bones? Is it only rapid weight loss that is to be feared or is ANY weight loss a blow to the bones?
Suebee

Postby Birdy » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:54 pm

Hi,
Doing strength training can prevent bone loss and even increase bone strength when you lose weight. I use Miriam Nelson's books and really like them. Her first book is titled Strong Women Stay Young. It's a great basic program. She also has a book specifically for bone health in the Strong Women series. You can find her books on Amazon or possibly in your public library if you just want to read through them before buying one.
Birdy

Postby Suebee » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:07 pm

Thank you for the suggestion but I hope Jeff addresses this question from a medical literature point of view. I'm still concerned.
Suebee

Return to Jeff Novick, RD