Plant Milk

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Plant Milk

Postby hallelujahgirl » Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:58 pm

Which is best, Almond Milk or Soy Milk. I believe Soy milk has more fat? I only use these on cereal most days. What would DrMcdougall recommend? What does he use regularly?
Thanks so much,

Carol
hallelujahgirl

Re: Plant Milk

Postby Oat » Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:05 pm

Hello,

I know I'm not Jeff and I hope you can get a response from him but I thought I'd chime in as well.

The best option for plant milk is to make it yourself. Invest in a good nut milk bag (Ellie's best is good) or if you have the money, invest in a machine like the almond cow or the milky plant. I like making Spelt milk best as it's very low in fat and it actually makes for a fairly creamy milk. Oat Milk is a pretty good option too though.
Oat

Postby hallelujahgirl » Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:04 pm

Oat,
Thanks for your reply. I have made plant milk before. Its easy. I recently switched from Almond milk to Soy milk in my coffee because its creamier. However, for heart health, I guess less fat Almond milk would be better. I just wondered what McDougall would say. I couldn't find his opinion on his website. This discussion board is different than a few years ago when my posts got answered in a short period of time. Now, most of them don't get answered at all. Searching the word "soy milk" doesn't help with my question. It only shows me comments about people using soy milk. I would trust what McDougall says, if I could just get his opinion.
Thanks,

Carol
hallelujahgirl

Postby DanTheYogi » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:35 pm

I can tell you approximately what John/Jeff would both say (and Jeff can correct me if I'm off :) )

Use plant milk sparingly, as a condiment. If you are using so much plant milk that you have to start thinking about which one is healthiest, you are not using it as recommended. If you keep your usage to the recommended amount (<5% of calories), it will not matter which one you are using.
DanTheYogi

Postby JeffN » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:35 am

Great job!

Some additional comments for clarity.

>>Use plant milk sparingly, as a condiment. If you are using so much plant milk that you have to start thinking about which one is healthiest, you are not using it as recommended.

(NOTE: These days, many of them are adding much more fat to provide a creamier textures so if would be a good idea to compare their nutrition facts labels and choose the ones with the lowest % saturated fat, %fat and added sugars.

>>>If you keep your usage to the recommended amount (<5% of calories), it will not matter which one you are using.

Pretty much except for the NOTE above

The 5% is for total not adherence calories and comes from "get the 95% right and dont worry about the last 5%" (for most people). However, 5% of 2000 calories is 100 calories and for some plant milks that could be a cup or two which would add up.

Thank you!
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD