Toddlers: Unsweetened Soy Milk and Phytoestrogens

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Toddlers: Unsweetened Soy Milk and Phytoestrogens

Postby BoyMomX2 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:36 am

My husband and I adopted the WFPB lifestyle in 2017 before children, my husband is more strictly WFPB than I and our boys. We don't buy meat, milk, or eggs but we will occasionally consume those foods at family get togethers, etc. Both of our sons were breastfed through 15 months old and transitioned to Silk's Organic Unsweetened Soy Milk. We chose this as it was one of the few unsweetened options. Our sons are 3 years old, and 16 months respectively and I have had a looming concern over the phytoestrogens found in soy, however in the past I've always found a reputable article to dispute the evidence tying phytoestrogens to cancers and move one. This time I can't seem to shake the thought that we are doing our boys a disservice. We chose the WFPB route to help bring down our risk and our children's risk to cancer and other maladies but I can't shake this mothers instinct to move them to almond or oat milk and completely abandon our original like of soy milk because it was more calorie dense for our growing boys. Can anyone weigh on what you did with your toddlers? Thank you!
BoyMomX2

Re: Toddlers: Unsweetened Soy Milk and Phytoestrogens

Postby Daydream » Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:18 am

From the articles I have read about soy, I believe it is safe and I have let go of the concerns you are having.

I buy the brand WESTSOY Organic Unsweetened Soymilk because it only has organic soybeans and water in it. The other companies put a lot of additives in their soy milk and I don't want to consume that.

https://www.westsoymilk.com/products/or ... ned-plain/
Daydream

Return to Family and Children