please help Dr McDougall: baby formula question

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

please help Dr McDougall: baby formula question

Postby lindsey » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:44 am

Hi Everyone,

I've read all the topics here about babies and formula and still don't have an answer...I cannot get breast milk from a bank for several reasons, so that is not an option.

I have an 11 month old baby. I nursed him until 10 months of age when I had a health issue that required stopping -- and baby weaned himself and will not nurse anymore. I have been giving him Earth's Best organic soy formula since (pediatrician says formula until age 1). I chose soy because after recently reading the China Study (and a long history of McDougalling) I wanted to continue to avoid milk products.

Now in the Fat Vegan chapter Dr Mc Dougall spends a paragraph on how babies should not have soy formula and I am worried I made the wrong decision. I don't know what to do. He has one month left...should I switch to cow formula? Breast milk is OUT...please please advise. And what then after 1 year of age?

I am so worried he has been on Earth's Best Organic soy formula for 6 weeks. I thought I was doing the next best thing.

Thank you so much and keep up the good work.
lindsey

Re: please help Dr McDougall: baby formula question

Postby jamietwo » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:23 pm

So sorry you had to stop breastfeeding.

I found this in the hot topics under breastfeeding. You have to scroll down to find the info on formula as Dr. M recommends a wet nurse and a milk bank as the second and third alternatives to mother's milk.

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2011nl/mar/fav5.htm

Good luck!
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby LadyDi » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:04 pm

Linsey, Why don't you email Dr McDougall directly. This is important and he was great about getting back to me quickly when I had a important question!
LadyDi
ALL MY POST SHOULD BE CONSIDERED AS THEY SUITE YOUR PERSONAL WOE AGENDA. PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT THOUGH WE ALL FOLLOW THE MCDOUGALL WAY THERE ARE MANY INDIVIDUAL FACTORS FOR OUR INDIVIDUAL HEALTH NEEDS.
LadyDi

Postby lindsey » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:04 pm

Thank you so much. The links provided have been helpful; I will email Dr McDougall, too. His personal attention is what drew my family to him in the first place.
lindsey

Postby ct214 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:21 am

I was just curious to see if you got a reply on the soy formula. We had a very difficult time finding information on what type of formula to use when we needed to supplement. Fortunately, our son got breastmilk almost exclusively for 6 months and at least partially for 8 months, but then the well ran dry, and we had to do something. By the time I found the hot topics article, we had already used organic soy formula as our means of supplementation for several months, so I am curious to see what Dr. M had to say about it. Thanks!
ct214

Postby drew » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:34 pm

I'm no doctor, but if you baby is 11 months (same age as mine) and needs forumla until 1 year, couldn't you just stop a month early? It doesn't seem huge, but then again I'm no doctor.

My 11 month old gets the bulk of her calories from plant based whole foods at the moment.
drew

Postby ct214 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:16 pm

I'm with you, Drew. Our kiddo is a year old now, and he is on the whole-foods, plant-based diet. I was just curious what Dr. M thought about such a short, part-time stint on the Soy.
ct214

Postby tturner224 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:35 am

After recently having a vegan conversion I too have been researching on this topic. I found a recent lecture by Dr. McDougall where he states that he recommends the hypoallergenic formulas, like Similac Alimentum with a 1/4 teaspoon of sugar added per 2 fluid ounces of formula for taste. The lecture is below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh0IECU1 ... Qg&index=4
tturner224

Return to Family and Children