BCG Vaccine at 14 days of age

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

BCG Vaccine at 14 days of age

Postby mredz » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:00 am

My newborn and I are in the Philippines where he was born just over a week ago. They want to give a BCG (Tuberculosis) vaccine this weekend. Is this absolutely necessary to give a such a young age? I plan to have my wife & son back in Australia within 6 months.
mredz

Re: BCG Vaccine at 14 days of age

Postby Vegankit » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:43 am

I had the BCG vaccine as a child. Under certain conditions it is wise to vaccinate.

Here are the current recommendations from the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - they do discuss certain conditions under which is would be recommended. There are also links to the World Health Organization.

http://www.cdc.gov/tb/publications/factsheets/prevention/BCG.htm

Here is the Austrialian governments position:

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/cda-cdi3001-pdf-cnt.htm/$FILE/cdi3001e.pdf
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby TerriT » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:30 am

My daughter had the BCG at 3 days old. We live in a part of London with a very diverse population and lots of international visitors, so the hospital she was born at offers the jab to all newborns if parents want it.

She had no severe reactions, but did develop a blister at the site of the injection which lasted about a week, I think. It is standard to give it on the upper arm (I've heard this is so medical professionals can quickly identify those who have been vaccinated) but if I had known it would leave a scar, I would have asked for it to be given under her arm so it would be less visible.
TerriT

Postby Vegankit » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:36 pm

TerriT - mine was on my thigh - and I'm thankful it wasn't on my arm. They should have explained the potential for scarring before administrating it to your child.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby TerriT » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:03 pm

I agree, they should have mentioned it might scar! Luckily, it doesn't bother her, just me.
TerriT

Return to Family and Children