pimply rash on baby edited

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

pimply rash on baby edited

Postby jusbe » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:24 pm

My six week old grandbaby who is half mexican has developed a pimply rash on her face spreading down her neck and cradle cap behind ears and in scalp. My daughter is breastfeeding but supplementing with cow's milk formula. Is it the formula or my daughter thinks since she is losing weight breastfeeding that toxins stored in her fat cells are being released into breast milk and that a lot of hispanic babies have pimply rashes. Any advice? I'm a worry wart and I was afraid she had gotten severe scabies but mom has no rash on breasts and her fifteen month old sister has no rash now... Also the fifteen month older sister is drinking almond milk now and very little other dairy as Dad is lactose intolerant. Why is almond milk not advised for use as formula.
jusbe

Re: pimply rash on baby edited

Postby Freckles » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:35 pm

My son..who is 4 now, had horrible cradle cap and a smattering of pimples when he was about that age Acne in infants is fairly common, and it should clear up on its own. If shes concerned she should see her pediatrician.

The cradle cap they make some lotions you can use and a soft brush to loosen and remove the flakes...my son had it for a few months in the winter his first year
Freckles

Postby TerriT » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:22 am

I used olive oil on my daughter's cradle cap when she was a baby.

I don't know if there are any almond-based formulas out there (I doubt it though). But almond milk and other plant-based milks are not suitable for young babies because they need a formula specifically designed to give them all the nutrition they need.
TerriT

Postby talkingmountain » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:23 am

Congratulations on your new grandbaby!

White pimples on very young babies, especially around their face/neck area, is common. My daughter was covered with them. My nurse-midwife told me that it was caused by all the hormones the baby received from mom starting to change concentrations now that the baby wasn't receiving hormones directly through the placenta/umbilical cord.
talkingmountain

Postby rbk627 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:46 am

Both my children developed a pimply rash at right around 6 weeks. I was told at the time that a baby's own sebaceous glands kick in at that time, causing the pimples. It is completely normal and will go away quickly.
rbk627

Postby Freckles » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:16 pm

TerriT wrote:I used olive oil on my daughter's cradle cap when she was a baby.

I don't know if there are any almond-based formulas out there (I doubt it though). But almond milk and other plant-based milks are not suitable for young babies because they need a formula specifically designed to give them all the nutrition they need.

they do make soy based formulas. My oldest was a preemie and had terrible reflux her first year. She was unable to breastfeed because of being a preemie...despite our best efforts...and she was on soy based formula because she threw up much less often than with milk based
Freckles

Postby jusbe » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:28 am

:) She used olive oil and its completely cleared up .thanks all.
jusbe

Return to Family and Children