vaccination

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: vaccination

Postby MeToo! » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:22 pm

It is true that an unvaccinated child might come into contact with another unvaccinated child who is harboring a "disease". What about the countless adults that same child might come into contact with? How do you know what their vaccination status is?

Pertussis is not caused by lack of vaccine.

About chickenpox, I was raised in the same little house as my father. There were 3 of us children (back in the 1950s); only my brother got the chickenpox. Inasmuch as we were all living in close quarters, why didn't the rest of the family "get" it? Serious question, not rhetorical.

Well, that article you linked to was a b*gger to read. I'm not disagreeing with a word of it. It won't matter to you a bit, I know, but I'm not talking only about apparent protection. I am concerned about long-term effects of sticking a needle into a developing child 60 times. That there's no mercury in there any more is hardly the issue. People who defend vaccines today were defending them just as vigorously when the mercury was still in there.

https://herbdocblog.com/article/Video/c ... nizations/

(This video is only 4 minutes and 24 sec.)
MeToo!

Postby Gianni » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:27 pm

MeToo! wrote:https://herbdocblog.com/article/Video/childhood-immunizations/
(This video is only 4 minutes and 24 sec.)

That's interesting. In 1983 when 7 vaccines were recommended, autism only occurred in 1 in 10,000 children. Today with over 60 vaccines recommended, autism now affects 1 in 88 children.
Gianni

Postby soneil80 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:16 am

That's interesting. In 1983 when 7 vaccines were recommended, autism only occurred in 1 in 10,000 children. Today with over 60 vaccines recommended, autism now affects 1 in 88 children

And in 1983 few people had a personal computer at home or cell phones or drove electric cars. Fewer people (in the US at least) ate quinoa, but none of those things are blamed for autism.

On of the first things you learn in a basic research methods class is that correlation does not equal causation. In 1983 autism wasn't understood that well and was significantly under-diagnosed. The number of things that have dramatically changed since 1983 are too numerous to count. This statistic alone provides no proof of any connection. Multiple, peer reviewed, well-designed medical studies have refuted the connection though.

I'm not trying to argue, just giving the original poster who asked the question some additional information. If you scour google scholar and look at the medical journals (not the quack blogs), you can make an informed choice.

No, not being vaccinated doesn't "cause" pertussis, just like drinking milk doesn't "cause" cancer. It does increase your statistical probabilities of contracting it though.

(As an aside, keep in mind that Dr. Schulze has doctorate in Herbology, not an MD)
soneil80

Postby veggylvr » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:38 am

It is true that an unvaccinated child might come into contact with another unvaccinated child who is harboring a "disease". What about the countless adults that same child might come into contact with? How do you know what their vaccination status is?

Most adults have been vaccinated, although the schedule when we were children is about a third or less the number of vaccines. I was born in the 60s, and vaccines were given before kindergarten, and then, only about 16 shots. No one opted out, and they probably had mercury, but I never met an autistic child while growing up. Not that this proves anything about vaccines.

Both my kids were vaccinated. But, as an older mom, looking at grandmother status, I think now I would advise my grandchildren have a delayed and/or customized schedule. The risk of most of these diseases are so remote unless traveling that I don't see why we are vaccinating starting at 2 months of age. I see no reason not to wait until the central nervous system is better formed and stabilized. It's just staggering the number of vaccines that are now required before the age of 3.

Somebody knows the number. Compare it to kids of the 60s or 70s. And we didn't get all these diseases, so why are so many vaccines necessary?
veggylvr

Postby MeToo! » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:26 pm

All righty then. How about discussing this (my main point) if you wish:

- that vaccines only cover up or delay the expression of the child's weakened internal condition.

Nature/Our Creator doesn't just drop things on our heads for nothing. If a child (or an adult) develops worrisome symptoms that generally go along with what we've come to call "infectious" illness, is that just an angry god at work, or might there be something else going on?

Just jousting with you. :wink: My mind is definitely made up on why we get sick; I'll own up to that.
MeToo!

Postby Yippy4Skippy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:47 pm

I know this is a delayed response but I just now saw this and had to comment. I happen to agree with Dr. McDougall on this. Vaccines go through more safety testing than any prescription drug on the market and are one of the safest medical interventions we have. Just because your child is not vaccinated and doesn't get sick doesn't mean that the lack of vaccines caused this. Association does not equal causation! In fact, perhaps the real cause is herd immunity. If we get at least 80% of the population vaccinated against a particular disease, those unvaccinated folks will get some protection just by virtue of the people surrounding them not getting the disease. It is just silly to think that vaccines have not decreased the incidence of infectious disease. The science is clear there. The side effects of vaccines are far outweighed by the benefits in my opinion.

If you choose not to vaccinate your child, you are not only putting them at risk of disease but all the other children around them who may not yet be old enough to receive the vaccine for a disease that your child contracts and passes along, (like the example of the poster above whose child got chickenpox before her first varicella vaccine.) Diseases that we think are benign are not always so, and children can die of chicken pox, flu, tetanus, pneumonia or many of the other illnesses we vaccinate for.

The physician who published the study regarding MMR and autism has ultimately come forward acknowledging that his study was fraudulent. He has also had his license and board certification revoked and the Lancet has retracted the article. There have been at least 15 good randomized controlled trials showing no correlation between autism and vaccines since then. It just so happens that autistic symptoms show up around the time we give the MMR vaccine. Unfortunately, his study began a culture of distrust for vaccines in general and we are now starting to see diseases like mumps re-emerge as public health threats.

I don't think parents would be so willing to turn down vaccines if they had actually seen some of these diseases in their lifetime. Try watching a child with vaccine-preventable epiglottitis struggle to breath or worse, die because their airway becomes obstructed and then not give your child their Hib vaccine. We are privileged to live in a time when vaccine-preventable diseases have been drastically reduced because our parents vaccinated us. We are in danger of these diseases returning because of largely unfounded fears about vaccines. I am not saying vaccines are appropriate for every single individual but they are appropriate for the vast vast majority of children (and I would argue all healthy children).
Yippy4Skippy

Postby WoodrowLink » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:47 am

Jordy Verrill wrote:I have 2 children, and they have both had all their vaccines. I think it comes down to this... the risk of your child contracting the measles, mumps, whooping cough, etc. because they weren't vaccinated far outweighs the risks of side effects from the vaccine.

You are true parents who actually understand the value of your child's life, if all parents have thinking like you then all children in the world become strong and healthy and resist all the diseases.
WoodrowLink

Postby Katydid » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:21 am

Yippy4Skippy wrote:

I don't think parents would be so willing to turn down vaccines if they had actually seen some of these diseases in their lifetime. Try watching a child with vaccine-preventable epiglottitis struggle to breath or worse, die because their airway becomes obstructed and then not give your child their Hib vaccine. We are privileged to live in a time when vaccine-preventable diseases have been drastically reduced because our parents vaccinated us. We are in danger of these diseases returning because of largely unfounded fears about vaccines. I am not saying vaccines are appropriate for every single individual but they are appropriate for the vast vast majority of children (and I would argue all healthy children).

I'm old enough to remember the age of polio. I had a little friend growing up with braces from the disease. Every summer my mom would be in a panic whenever we felt a little 'under the weather'. When the vaccine came out we were lined up in school and given our sugar cube. No parental approve requested or required. The necessity of a 'herd immunity' to the disease outweighed the risk. I sometime dread to think what would happen if the Salk had failed and the polio vaccine were only now being discovered.

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Previous

Return to Family and Children