Adoption and supplementing with formula

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Adoption and supplementing with formula

Postby dustyandmatthew » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:09 pm

So I am adopting my nieces baby and I plan to breastfeed, however it is common in induced lactation to need to supplement with formula. So I perused the formula isle and was horrified by the ingredient list on the soy formulas! Is dairy formula a better alternative? Is there a "good" alternative. HELP!
dustyandmatthew

Re: Adoption and supplementing with formula

Postby Jenna » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:02 pm

First of all, have you tried fenugreek and/or domperidone to increase your supply? Domperidone can be purchased cheaply online, but you can only get it from a compounding pharmacy in the US, which is very expensive.

Secondly, I personally would use Earth's Best Organic formula. I don't know if they have a soy formula, but it has the best ingredients by far compared with any other formula I have seen. This won't apply to everyone here, but I think whole foods and real ingredients are more important than being vegan in this case.
Jenna

Postby Vegankit » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:23 pm

Congratulations and how wonderful that you will breast feed.

I know that Dr. McDougall prefers breast feeding - however there is one specific type of formula that he recommends in cases where breast feeding is not available....Protein hydrolysate formulas are also known as “hypoallergenic cow’s milk-based formulas.” Here is a link: http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2011nl/mar/fav5.htm

This is a video: http://www.drmcdougall.com/video/mcdoug ... rmula.html
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby lfwfv » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:14 pm

Also I would recommend asking around to see if anyone in your circle of friends has an oversupply of milk (or knows somebody with one). I did and I offered my milk to a few moms who I knew were short for their twins. They opted to supplement with formula instead of my free milk and I have subsequently become a breastmilk donor for preemies. I couldnt bear to throw out 400+ ounces of liquid gold! But I think you might be able to find somebody you trust to fill in the gaps if you need it (and for the record, I would not have charged and I think there are other moms out there who would do the same).
lfwfv

Postby Jenna » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:19 pm

I am one of those overproducing moms who donates milk, too! I would encourage you to look around. I am currently donating milk to my husband's cousin for her baby who has cystic fibrosis. Her supply has dropped recently, although she is still breastfeeding.

I believe it is actually illegal to buy or sell human milk. But many overproducing mothers give it away regularly. It's better than throwing it away, of course! Also, it helps me to see my oversupply as something that has a purpose, rather than just a frustrating problem.
Jenna

Postby jamietwo » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:44 am

I'm so happy to hear about mothers donating their extra milk! Good for you!

dustyandmatthew, congratulations on the new baby! You might try La Leche League to see if any moms have extra milk to share ... or maybe even get advice on producing enough milk on your own, if possible!
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby [email protected] » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:29 pm

If cows milk is best for a calf, human milk is best for a baby. Good for you! I would look for a milk bank located near you. If there is a local Le Leche League there may also be a group of moms you could connect with who may be up for donating!
[email protected]

Postby hitz333 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:26 pm

As PP mentioned, the hypoallergenic cow's milk formula is the sort of "last resort" if Dr. McD had to recommend a formula at all.

Just wanted to say check Facebook for a local Human Milk 4 Human Babies chapter. You can request breastmilk donations through there. =)
hitz333

Postby Peashoot » Wed May 01, 2013 4:40 am

I'd say the same as previous posters. The La Leche League will be able to help with this in general but also with locating your nearest breastmilk bank.

Good luck, I think this is great.
Peashoot

Postby dustyandmatthew » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:07 pm

Thank you everyone for your comments. I am looking into all of them and am happy to hear there are people out there who are willing to donate, willing to give advice the whole thing! Thanks again and God bless.
dustyandmatthew

Return to Family and Children