small baby - intrauterine growth restriction. Need advice!

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

small baby - intrauterine growth restriction. Need advice!

Postby vica_pav » Fri May 17, 2013 3:25 am

Hi all, I am 27 years old and has been following the McDougall Diet for the last 4 years (of course, supplemented with B12). My diet remained the same during my pregnancy. My doctor is very concerned that my baby is smaller (now I am at 38 weeks, the baby weights 2.4kg or 5lbs 4.6oz according to the ultrasound). All other tests are perfectly normal - iron is good, the blood flow through the umbilical cord is good, baby's heart rate is good, placenta is good, there are no signs of anything abnormal with baby's organs, etc. My weight gain is also good - I gained 22lbs so far. However, the doctor diagnosed me with intrauterine growth restriction and she keeps telling me that the baby is too small most probably due to my ''too restrictive, protein deficient'' diet. She also strongly recommends immediate hospitalization. Is my doctor being too over-concerned? I mean, 5lbs 4.6oz is indeed a bit smaller than the norm....should I be concerned? Also, dear vegan moms, how much did your baby weigh at birth? I heard that babies of vegan mothers are born smaller, but I wonder how much smaller?
vica_pav

Re: small baby - intrauterine growth restriction. Need advic

Postby jamietwo » Fri May 17, 2013 1:55 pm

I don't know anything about intrauterine growth restriction, but I do know that if you're eating the McDougall diet, you are getting enough protein! You might want to email Dr. McDougall directly.

I wish I had been eating this way when I was pregnant, but at least I got started before my little one was ready for solid food (he's a teenager now!).

Good luck to you!
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby lfwfv » Fri May 17, 2013 6:00 pm

I ate mcdougall during pregnancy and ended up with several ultrasounds because my fundal height measurement was always low. Baby was always fine but on the small side and amniotic fluid was fine. He came out at one day past his due date at 6lbs 3oz. Scored 9 on both apgar tests and did great during three hours of pushing! He was sunny side up :) good thing he wasn't any bigger or I don't think he would have come out without interventions. My pregnancy and recovery were great, unmedicated birth, breastfeeding is great, and he continues to be on the low end if normal size wise. Trust your doctor if it's truly iugr, but it does sound suspicious to me...can you get a second opinion?
lfwfv

Postby McDouga11Marie » Sun May 19, 2013 12:44 am

Honestly, if it was me I would listen to my doctor and be hospitalized. IUGR is nothing to mess with.
McDouga11Marie

Postby TerriT » Sun May 19, 2013 4:43 am

vica_pav wrote:However, the doctor diagnosed me with intrauterine growth restriction and she keeps telling me that the baby is too small most probably due to my ''too restrictive, protein deficient'' diet.

Can you get a second opinion, possibly from a doctor who knows nothing about your diet? From what you say here, I wonder if your doctor's opinion is biased because she believes there's something wrong with the way you eat.
TerriT

Postby vica_pav » Tue May 21, 2013 1:10 am

Dear all, thank you so much for all of your suggestions. I will keep you updated on how everything goes. I took more tests and I have another appointment with my doctor this week. Unfortunately, I cannot get a second opinion since we live in a small village and that is the nearest doctor I could find (I am not in the US). But so far, the tests that already came back show no signs of worry. I hope that this is simply my constitution to have smaller babies. Plus, the baby is not even born yet, there is still some time to gain a bit more weight :))
vica_pav

Postby joshrd78 » Tue May 21, 2013 6:35 am

Dr Mcdougall talks about pregnancy and weight (both baby and mother) in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh0IECU1iig&list=UUjtpP3jb9LOpbGxdNQhk3Qg&index=5
joshrd78

Postby vica_pav » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:26 am

Hi all, I have a wonderful update for you! So all the tests came back ok and once my doctor carefully looked at all my previous records (I was in a different country up until 36 weeks), she noted that the baby was always on the small side. During my next appointment at 40 weeks she noted that the baby gained even more weight and took off the diagnosis. But in any case, the baby was born one week after his due date at perfectly healthy weight of 6lbs9oz! The delivery took only 5 hours, everything was natural and I had not a single tear! The baby got 9 on the Apgar scale and is perfectly healthy! He is now almost 2 weeks, I keep my McDougall diet and breastfeed. I have got plenty of milk for him and he is growing very well! I am so happy everything turned out to be ok! Thank you all for your support and suggestions!!
vica_pav

Postby Vegankit » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:26 am

Congratulations on the birth of your healthy little boy - what a happy ending. He's lucky to have such a smart mom who is starting him off in life with a healthy diet.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby TerriT » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:54 am

What lovely news. Congratulations and enjoy this wonderful time with your baby!
TerriT

Postby jamietwo » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:56 pm

I'm so happy for you! Congratulations! :D
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby lfwfv » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:04 am

Wonderful news! Sounds so familiar....i too was flagged for potential IUGR, but baby was fine every time we did an ultrasound, and he was born very healthy at 6lbs3oz, breastfeeding wonderfully right away, all natural childbirth, 9 on APGAR scale. I think the McDougall diet i followed in pregnancy, and since then was likely a huge contributing factor to our little one being the right size for my body, and doing so well after birth. Kudos to giving your baby the best, healthful start!
lfwfv

Postby JennyC » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:45 pm

I know this post is older and the update is already good (congrats), but the title caught my eye.

I just found out I am pregnant with #2 (shhhh) and I am so excited to eat this way for this pregnancy. For my first (he'll be 4 next month) I was NOT vegan and though I probably ate fairly healthy SAD compared to most, I also counterbalanced that with my fair share of chipwiches, cheetos, and mcnuggets. (ugh, I know. the thought of that right now actually makes me want to hurl). Anyway, all that to say that I was in the process of being diagnosed with preeclampsia at 38 weeks when my body went into labor. he was 4 lbs 8 oz. and 38 weeks, but my belly measured to the day, so we had no idea he was so small. It was NOT from a McDougall diet, that's for sure!

I'm hoping this pregnancy is sticky number one, but then a very different and healthy (McDougall) one!
signature by jenny.cruger, on Flickr
JennyC

Return to Family and Children