Epilepsy/Tuberous Sclerosis

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Epilepsy/Tuberous Sclerosis

Postby tjrobert » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:06 pm

I have a 12 yr. old daughter, adopted from Vietnam at 21 mos., you was diagnosed with Tuberous Sclerosis at age 6. She has had seizures since she was 3 1/2. The seizures when from brief absence seizures to full body grand mals as she got older. At age 10, she had brain surgery to remove a tuber (like a tumor) in the right occipital lobe of her brain. The surgery was successful in stopping the big seizures, but she still has a very abnormal EEG and it is certainly causing problems with her learning. She is on Keppra and Depakote, but I don't feel either one is making a difference. From her MRI, she still has about 4 other tubers in her brain. Several years ago she was on the Ketogenic Diet for 7 months as a way to stop the seizures. Very strict, extremely high fat diet. Basically drinking heavy cream, eating lots of butter. It decreased the seizures at first, but then they just came back. So my question is: is there anyone on the McDougall diet as a way to control seizures? It seems that it would really be the opposite of the Ketogenic Diet, or the Low Glycemic Index Diet, which is also used to control seizures.
tjrobert

Re: Epilepsy/Tuberous Sclerosis

Postby jamietwo » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:02 pm

Sorry to hear about your daughter's diagnosis. I don't have any experience with it, but I wanted to suggest that you pose your question in the health issues forum (it has a little more traffic than this forum). Good luck!

ETA: I edited to remove the lounge from my suggestion since I saw a post in the lounge asking that health-related questions be posted in health issues!
Jamie
jamietwo

Re: Epilepsy/Tuberous Sclerosis

Postby tjrobert » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:37 pm

Thanks. I just posted it under the "health" posts.
tjrobert

Return to Family and Children