B12 dosing for children- chart?

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

B12 dosing for children- chart?

Postby lfwfv » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:55 am

I posted this on Jeff's forum too, but i thought some of you momma's might be able to help me out too....

My 9.5 month old son is slowly increasing his solids. He is still breastfeeding frequently and I am supplementing with B12, so i am not yet worried about his B12 needs, but i know that i will need to supplement him in the near future as he begins to cut out some nursing sessions and rely more on whole plant foods for his nutrition.

My pediatrician does not seem to know how much B12 I should be giving him unless it's part of a multivitamin supplement which i am not really wanting to give him right now.

Is there a chart anywhere that lists B12 needs per kg body weight? Also, would a liquid supplement likely be best for children age 3 and under? Something i can mix into the foods i am already offering him? I know Dr. McDougall has said to supplement B12 for kids, but I can't find any recommendations for amounts or methods.

Thanks!
lfwfv
lfwfv

Return to Family and Children