Protein + Pregnancy

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Protein + Pregnancy

Postby JennyC » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:41 pm

I know Dr. M's stance is less concerned than pretty much any other doc or anything written about such things and I'm not one to freak out of pregnancy things, but I read that .88 per Kg of weight (or something like that and did the math, which would amount to just under 60 grams of protein needed for me per day, being pregnant. It doesn't seem like a lot (esp when a lot of pregnancy people are recommending 80-90+) but it's mind boggling to me to get this in.

I would say I average between 6-12 (and that's high) grams per meal, eating 3 meals a day plus maybe a snack or two, but really not eating a ton....umm apparently pregnancy is the best diet for me...lol) So I'm finding myself, while calculating (very loosely) getting maybe 30-40 max. Which at the end of the day leaves me feeling like I need to load up on protein. My husband bought a brown rice protein powder, etc. But honestly, the thought of a 20g protein shake goes so against everything I believe about health and diet. I'm trying not to overdo it on tofu/soy stuff (I'm not afraid of it, but I follow dr. M's advice about more of a moderation and as a condiment type food) so there are only so many beans I can eat at one time. ;)

Any thoughts? Any other similar experiences?
signature by jenny.cruger, on Flickr
JennyC

Re: Protein + Pregnancy

Postby lfwfv » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:39 pm

I thought it might actually even be 1.1g/kg?? Can't remember, but i asked Jeff about this when i was pregnant...

I did actually keep track of my protein a bit during pregnancy and have no trouble hitting my targets now that i'm eating a huge amount while breastfeeding. Lentils are super high in protein, and I started making pancakes out of chickpea flour. Oats and quinoa are way higher in protein than brown rice. I would say, if you're concerned, try to find the grains, legumes, flours etc. that are highest in protein and stick to those most of the time. I remember being surprised to see that apples were very low in protein, but peaches were surprisingly high. White potatoes are also higher than sweet potatoes if i remember correctly...I will also say i ate some TVP during pregnancy (just rehydrated)...i liked the flavor and texture and it was a cheap way of getting in extra protein. Dr. McDougall would not recommend it though :)
lfwfv

Return to Family and Children