Baby formula

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Baby formula

Postby chette » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:05 pm

For those who can’t breastfeed, McDougall recommended these baby formulas (with hestiation, of course): Similac Alimentum, Advance Ross Pediatrics EleCare, and Nutramigen Lipil (Source is [https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2011nl/mar/fav5.htm)]

I was wondering if this is updated? If this is still the infant formula he will recommend? The breastfeeding groups I am with are recommending Hipp. Which I’m leaning towards to because the ones McDougall recommended are not available in the country (although I guess I can do international shipping in Amazon).

Child is turning 1, and needs milk at night.

Help? Anyone? Thanks.
chette

Re: Baby formula

Postby michaelswarm » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:40 am

In addition to these formulas, you may need to add some sugar. A spoonful of sugar to help the medicine go down.

Unfortunately I only saw McDougall's ASW video mentioning this after our own baby refused to drink these types of formulas.

McDougall says the sugar content of these formulas is less than the best selling brands (and presumably breast milk), and the amount he recommends only brings the sugar content to the same level.

I'm unable to find the link, and don't remember the exact amount of table sugar per oz.
michaelswarm

Re: Baby formula

Postby michaelswarm » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:46 am

The following newsletter mentions the sugar: https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2012nl/sep/children.htm

These formulas are commonly described as poor tasting. This is because the manufacturers make them with less sugar than their regular cow’s milk-based formulas. This discrepancy can be fixed by adding 1gram of table sugar (about 1/4 teaspoon) to 2 fluid ounces of formula (100 calories). As baby adjusts, the added sugar can be reduced and stopped.
michaelswarm

Return to Family and Children