Appendix removed

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Appendix removed

Postby Rabbyrabbit » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:36 am

Hey, I have a question I've been trying to research for a little bit now and I wanted to see if you guys can help, well they say that your appendix is what we used to digest fruits and veggies or so I've heard. Well my husband had to have surgery to get it removed because it was so bad and I was wondering do you think he could switch to a vegan diet I would want him to be able to eat what I make but I mean if he is "okay'd" I guess you can say to eat meat then why not a vegan diet but so far on the research of that I've found nothing so I was wondering if you guys could help me. Thank you for your time if you read this
Rabbyrabbit

Re: Appendix removed

Postby Crider » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:14 pm

Yes, going vegan (or plant based) would be just fine for any human being without an appendix.
Crider

Postby Rabbyrabbit » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:19 pm

That's great news, I'm relieved to hear that now I can go vegan and my husband can also enjoy some of my food as well :)!!!!
Rabbyrabbit

Postby VeggieSue » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:05 pm

Rabbyrabbit wrote:well they say that your appendix is what we used to digest fruits and veggies or so I've heard.

Not really. Nobody is really sure *what* the appendix's purpose it. It might have had something to do with the immune system back in the past, but nobody is quite sure. Fruits and veggies are digested throughout the entire length of the digestive tract, not some vestigal organ hanging off the side.

A healthy McDougall diet is great for everyone, with or without an appendix.
VeggieSue

Return to Family and Children