Childhood constipation

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Childhood constipation

Postby Granny » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:24 pm

My 3 year old granddaughter has had severe constipation for over a year. My DIL has taken her to a pediatrician and was prescribed a stool softener which she has every day but still is holding her stools in and I feel potty time which she has to endure about twice a day sitting screaming for and hour or more is not helping. Is the anything I could give my DiL to read or watch to help solve this. I've tried telling her about adding fruits and veggies and water etc. without being overbearing. She doesn't seem to clue in but it seems like child abuse to me to go through this every day.I feel she should increase her fibre and liquid and let help the child be in control of going potty, she has never been potty trained and is three and a half and is more than capable of knowing when she should go. This is not a good situation, help please?
Granny

Re: Childhood constipation

Postby Partly Cloudy » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:52 am

I'm sorry to hear about your granddaughter's problem.

There have been studies that have shown that cow's milk allergy can be a factor in constipation, especially in children.

Would your DIL be open to trying to avoid it for a few days to see if that helps?

Here's a link to a video you may find helpful:
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/childhood-constipation-and-cows-milk/
Partly Cloudy

Postby Timaca » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:58 pm

There are also lots of children's probiotics available at Sprouts, Whole Foods, Natural Grocers, etc. I agree with holding the dairy for awhile. A trial of a probiotic may be helpful too.

Best,
Timaca

Postby LuckyMomma » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:10 pm

My niece had the same problem and was prescribed stool softener by her pediatrician. My niece really enjoy eating her meats and berries. Her mom gave her lots of organic berries. Maybe you can take some organic berries every time you visit. Introduce her to some home made high fiber goodies.
LuckyMomma

Postby Granny » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:39 pm

Thanks for the responses. She has cut out all dairy for some time now. I am trying to get her to give more water, she prescription from the pediatrician but still manages to hold her bowel movements in. i will try getting her some pro-biotics, my DiL is at her wits end.
Granny

Postby Partly Cloudy » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:02 pm

I have a coworker friend whose daughter was experiencing the same problem. I don't have all of the details, but I know she's recently had a breakthrough and her daughter is doing much better. This book helped.
https://www.amazon.com/Ins-Outs-Poop-Childhood-Constipation/dp/0985496916/ref=pd_sim_14_5?ie=UTF8&dpID=51t4tMo5DFL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR107%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=ZTKN0Y6YMAD7Z8J52GZY#customerReviews
Partly Cloudy

Postby ChristyHartman » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:09 am

Check out the work of Dr Steve Hodges. He has a few books on Amazon (It’s No Accident). His protocol deals with the holding behavior as well as the medical issues it causes. It worked for my kids and I recommended to my pediatrician who tried it in her son and now she recommends it to all her patients. My kids have been WFPB since birth but the best diet won’t matter if they have a holding habit.
ChristyHartman

Return to Family and Children