Marsha's MWL journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Marsha's MWL journal

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:19 pm

Marsha, that was smart of you to be more careful with your 50/50 plate. Glad it worked to break that plateau.

You are right about the westerly winds bringing smoke to us east of you. I'm in Utah, and some days the air quality suffers badly. Salt Lake is prone to temperature inversions as well, so once the smoke gets in the valley, it stays in the valley.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Health 1st » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:17 pm

Marsha, I've only started reading your journal now, and started with the 2nd to last page :duh: , but I'm so sorry to hear how you're in all of that smoke. Hoping you're okay + I'll pray you remain safe.
Health 1st

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:37 am

Health 1st wrote:Marsha, I've only started reading your journal now, and started with the 2nd to last page :duh: , but I'm so sorry to hear how you're in all of that smoke. Hoping you're okay + I'll pray you remain safe.

Thanks. This year, the smoke is blowing East from me. Last Labor Day, my city was worst air quality in the US from the smoke. So far, where I am is clear. The jet stream has driven the smoke from the Western fires all the way to the East coast. Sad times.
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:46 am

Thursday, July 22, 2021

I was shocked to see the lower weight on the scales this morning, so I weighed twice. I see a # I haven't seen in years. Now to hang onto it!! Last couple of days, I haven't been very hungry. I decided not to eat just because it is supposed to be lunch time. I have been giving MWL guidelines #2 and #9 more focus, and it seems to work!

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals,
9. Eating whenever you are hungry.

I am eating more greens, cooked carrots (I do like them), steamed green beans, oatmeal, and then a meal of either the mexican skillet with quinoa and/or the beans & berries recipe from the Quick & Easy cookbook. I eat the latter on a bed of chopped romaine lettuce. Plus always 2 fruits (cause of intestinal surgery, I need 2 fruits for regularity. Yesterday was some frozen raspberries and cherries, and half an apple later in the day.

Be safe everybody; shocking rise in covid cases; please get the safe vaccines.

Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby Daydream » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:44 am

Marsha, congrats on the weight loss!
Daydream

Postby Health 1st » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:11 am

Marsha,

I chuckled when I read you weighed yourself twice to make sure, as I've done that before, too. :-D I'm so happy for you that what you saw the 1st time was indeed correct--whoo hoo--congratulations! :thumbsup: I also appreciate your telling us what #'s of the 10 point checklist you find helpful.
- - - -
Yes, it is very sad to see such destruction due to the fires. Hopefully this year your city will not make any such list of poor air quality.
Health 1st

Postby squealcat » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:54 pm

Yes ! I am working on #2 and #9 as well ! One step at a time ! (or two steps ) :nod:

_squealcat
squealcat

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:58 pm

deweyswakms wrote:Thursday, July 22, 2021

I was shocked to see the lower weight on the scales this morning, so I weighed twice. I see a # I haven't seen in years. Now to hang onto it!! Last couple of days, I haven't been very hungry. I decided not to eat just because it is supposed to be lunch time. I have been giving MWL guidelines #2 and #9 more focus, and it seems to work!

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals,
9. Eating whenever you are hungry.

I am eating more greens, cooked carrots (I do like them), steamed green beans, oatmeal, and then a meal of either the mexican skillet with quinoa and/or the beans & berries recipe from the Quick & Easy cookbook. I eat the latter on a bed of chopped romaine lettuce. Plus always 2 fruits (cause of intestinal surgery, I need 2 fruits for regularity. Yesterday was some frozen raspberries and cherries, and half an apple later in the day.

Be safe everybody; shocking rise in covid cases; please get the safe vaccines.

Marsha

Hi Marsha,

Congratulations on breaking your plateau!!! :-D Your meals sound great!!!

I am also focusing on #2 and am getting happy with including some veggies for breakfast.

Hope that you have a good week.

Cheers,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:44 am

Saturday 7/24/21

It is more humid here (78%), which is GREAT NEWS for the forest fires, plus less wind. Today I will make one of Jeff N's fast food meals (love them), but 1st walk to the store to get bok choy. I really like the crunch and good nutrients. I use all of it.

I also need to make a soup (for MWL guideline #1); will do something. Emphasizing #1 and #2 guidelines has helped me drop more weight.

Gosh, July is almost over. For the 1st time, I will welcome fall and RAIN.

Have a good weekend, Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:04 am

Sunday, 7/25/21

Since I focus now on MWL guideline #2, my appetite has changed. I no longer can eat the volume of food I ate before because I am full much faster. For instance, yesterday I made oatmeal for breakfast but couldn't eat it all; forgot to eat it later too. This morning, my morning meal consisted of a banana, the last of the romaine lettuce, a tablespoon of pumpkin seeds (I want their nutrients), and again I made too much oatmeal! I am just FULL.

So today I will be eating oatmeal! don't need to cook; have brown rice, more of the 'berries & beans' food, steamed broccoli, and raspberries are thawing out.

And the scale shows I am still at the low #. So, today I'll buy more greens!

Carry on! stay the course, Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby Health 1st » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:55 pm

Marsha,

It sounds like you're continuing to make real good progress! :nod:

I, too, have made too much oatmeal in the past. At least lunch, dinner, or next morning's breakfast is a no brainer + hardly any work. :-D

Keep up the great work!
Health 1st

Postby deweyswakms » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:36 am

Wednesday 7/28/21
Good morning all,
at least it is cool now, with high heat coming.

So my 1st activity is a walk to end at the store for cat food; darn cat keeps eating it up. I'm also a bit 'lack of energy', probably my allergy medicine, but will try the physical activity to get the body moving.

Today I have a cantaloupe to prepare. Yesterday I made one of my favorite easy meals: cook 2 potatoes with 1 carrot, peas, corn and some shelled edamame; rough mash. I also made one of Jeff N's 'fast food' meals; so good and easy for me; served with maybe 1/3rd cup of brown rice. Would also be good over chopped romaine lettuce.

Weight still at the new low # from last Friday, and that's OK. Stay the course and hope to see a little more gone for Friday's weigh in. I am at the # where I have stopped MWL in the past, thinking 'this is good enough'. Well, there is still some belly fat that I want to lose, so let's see how far I can go.

I think I will add more dark greens to the rotation; steamed collards probably.

Carry on! Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:24 am

Thursday, 7/29/21

Gosh! the scales showed I lost another pound. :D This is a new low for me, at the goal weight I set a couple of years ago but never reached. What changed? A couple of weeks ago I started focusing on MWL guidelines #1 and #2. I now follow those with every meal. I expect more weight loss will occur as I have a bit more I want to lose. Then, maintenance.

I am 98% MWL guidelines compliant; found a combination that works for me.

Today is busy so I am glad I have prepped food ahead of time. I have a sweet potato, cantaloupe, chopped romaine lettuce, the last of the 'fast food' meal with potatoes. I may start a crock pot of veggie chili, for tomorrow. I need to find a soup recipe.

Have a great day, Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby Health 1st » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:47 pm

Congratulations on your new low, Marsha!!! Yay! :D It'll be interesting to see where your body weight will land.

Your food sounds yummy!

Hoping you're staying as cool as possible, that you're regaining energy, + that your allergies are improving.
Health 1st

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:51 pm

Friday 7/30/21

HOT here in the Pacific NW. Scales show still at the new low #. Veggie chili with lentils, black beans, carrots and some edamame is done. Cantaloupe and berries to eat, plus broccoli and romaine lettuce.

Too hot to do much last night, plus just not too hungry, so I had a potato with broccoli, peas and green beans for dinner.
So, today I am HUNGRY. Have eaten my usual combos so far, and decided OK I can tolerate a little 'empty' feeling.

Will make celery soup today; leaning in to MWL guidelines #1 and 2. They are key for me.

A smart person suggested using an online food tracker to plot all the nutrients I am getting. I used Cronometer in the past, so logged in today and entered today's foods. Interesting! I see that I am only getting 50% daily recommended protein; in the red zone on lack of vitamin A; only getting half the calcium I need (bone scan density shows they are fine); only half the recommended vitamin E and selenium. Not sure if these recommended IUs are good for plant-based eating. So now I am looking at what foods to add to boost those #s. Brazil nuts for selenium? I stopped eating them a couple of years ago. Will experiment now to see how the values change. hmmmm
deweyswakms

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals