Dissolution's Solution

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Dissolution's Solution

Postby m rock » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:56 am

I found the updated book on Half Price Book's website for only $23. Thought you may be interested: http://www.hpbmarketplace.com/booksearc ... rt=&page=1
m rock

Postby Tabasco » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:08 am

Tabasco

Postby fulenn » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:53 pm

Hi Dissolution! I just caught up on your last couple of posts; so glad to hear your wife's comment about your risotto! It sounds like she is beginning to come around a bit!

Hope your eczema clears up and that you get going eating like you want to again.

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby Dissolution » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:18 am

Chile I did come across some mentions of Far-infared saunas in my research. Looks like you can buy fairly inexpensive home versions, I'm not sure where commercial ones would be available to use. There's not a lot of gym choices around here.

I've been stealthily not using the aluminum pots or pans this past month. I'm using the coated ones.

didi I'll try that.

m rock and Tabasco Thanks so much for those links.

fulenn I was very pleased she liked it, but she's not coming around. She's resigned herself to having lost her "eating buddy", but shows no indication that she is even remotely interested in eating this way.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The last steroid shot wore off a couple of weeks ago and the skin on my palms started peeling off. But the skin underneath was not red and irritated. I did not have any blisters. Then last friday we went out to eat at a big chain restaurant. No baked potatoes on the menu. I opted for a spinach salad (spinach is the green leafy highest in nickle). Then on Sunday night we (9 of us) went to our favorite new vegan friendly restaurant. A couple of the dishes I had contained nuts and one had dates (both items on the high nickle list). I had a couple of blisters on Monday and my hands we red and itchy for most of the week. They seem to be healing up though.

I'm lucky enough to have a job where I don't really need to leave the house on most days before 10 or 11. I had tried going to the gym, showering at the gym and then leaving from there to go to work. The wife game me fits about that.

Then we tried where she joined a gym where she could swim, and I would drop her off and then go to my gym. Thankfully they sold memberships by the month, cause after going 3 times she has no desire to every go back.

I don't wake up at a set time, or by alarm clock. I typically wake up 6am - 7:30am. Then I do my morning routine until the wife wakes up 9am - 11am. I decided a couple of months ago that I would start waking her at 9am. So here I am, sitting around waiting for her to wake up, and I thought, I could be at the gym.

So I tried that. I told her I was going to start going early int he morning and then coming back home to have coffee with her. She didn't like that cause it "felt like I was sneaking out". Which I kinda was, because I was trying not to wake her up or get the dogs started.

Next we tried having me wake her up to tell her I was going. Two Saturdays ago this was met with "Are you f**king kidding me?!" Then we fought for two hours about how selfish and self absorbed I was.

Her new strategy is to try and wake up when I do, so I feel guilty about leaving her alone and awake to go to the gym. Of course she'll have take a 4 hour nap while I'm at work.

That's the other thing that's strange. If I get sleepy or go to bed before midnight, it makes her furious. Last Friday I went to the gym at 6am, did 40 minutes of cardio. Took #3 son with me and shot 9 holes of golf before noon, then met up with two of the other kids and shot another 18 holes that afternoon. Met her and her niece for dinner. I started getting sleepy around 11:30 pm and she got all pissed off at me, for trying to change her lifestyle and make her go to bed early.

All in all things are pretty good. I'm mostly sticking to the elliptical at the gym and I've been tracking my times and distances. It's amazing the improvements I've seen. My first goal was to hit 3.2 (5k) in 30 minutes. My first attempt was 3.2 miles in 30:28 at the easiest resistance. Yesterday I hit 4.08 miles in 30 minutes doing hill intervals. I just wish I could actually run that fast.

My weight is down to 201. Crossing over will be a pretty big milestone for me. I'm not sure the last time I was under 200. I know at the beginning or 8th grade I was over 200, and I'm sure I was never below that afterwards.

Sometimes it feels like I haven't changed, and the rest of the world has just gotten much fatter. Friends, family, public places. I think I could do a research study of the demographics of grocery stores. For example, 30% of the people shopping in the produce section are fat. 60% of the people shopping the meat department are fat. 70% of the people buying dairy are fat.

The wife was having a lot of digestive area pain Monday night. Thought I was going to have to take her to the emergency room. I pointed out that she had eaten steak 3 nights in a row, which is rare for her nowadays. She was better in a couple of days.

Sorry, I know I'm rambling. I've been meaning to post, but just haven't found the time.

#2 son is still gaining weight, he's about 10 pounds heavier than me now. He's sometimes the toughest to figure out. When my niece visited last weekend. She's close to 300lbs. The wife actually suggested she try my "diet". Her response was the typical "Oh no, I've GOT to have MY meat and MY cheese." I don't even bat an eye to those kind of statements anymore. But #2 son is different. He knows. He lost 30 lbs doing this as has put 35 back on since quitting it a year ago. He claims it's mostly muscle, but that's just a sad delusion.

I hope everyone has a good weekend.
Dissolution

Postby Chile » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:57 am

Dis, when I read about the things your wife does and says, I thank my stars that I found a man who wants what's best for me, for him, and for us. Those three don't always intersect, but we both work hard to support what is in each and all of our best interests. It saddens me to read how your wife tries to limit you in so many ways.
Chile

Postby carollynne » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:50 pm

Dis, wow, the last 17 lbs to go, and you are so close. All your family issues are a riot, and she is seemingly a huge controller, who thinks that accuses you are being so self absorbed negates her being such a narcissist. Sorry, if that sounds too realistic. The tides of health and weight have turned and I am very happy for you. No one likes change and it can be so scary I know.
You are a dear to put up with it at all.
Good luck with the nickel allergy, hope that you find some relief soon.
MY DH is really back sliding all around and I just stick to McDougalling and never felt so good, tons of energy, and getting things done. He is the opposite now. He gets a bit pouty/whiny too, and I remind him that he can make his own choices, and cannot control mine. then he accuses me of controlling what he eats, when I really couldn't if I tried. Nuts to the spouses who cannot be our champion in this WOE and applaud how we have taken back our life and health. You are doing so good, never ever quit, and just exercise all you want, you need to for your health.
have a great weekend!!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby fulenn » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:59 pm

I wish I could run that fast in real life, too, heck, even on an elliptical I would be thrilled!

I am making the risotto that you linked to right now. My husband can't wait to get home. Of course, he has the white wine. I can't seem to find many dry whites near our home, so he stopped after work at a liquor store with a great wine selection and bought a bottle. The shiitake mushrooms are soaking right now--smells great! Thanks for the link.

I am happy for you that you have made the lifestyle change, despite the opposition. You will live longer, healthier, happier (I hope.) I love how you refer to going under 200 lbs as "crossing over." Can't wait until you arrive.

I'll be honest, I am glad that my husband and I do not always sleep at the same time. I LOVE to sleep diagonally across the bed, not something you can do with two people in there. I also like that we have things that we do without each other, that we can be complete individuals who still choose to be together but don't have to always be in each others presence. That probably sounds weird, but that's me.

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby Debbie » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:12 pm

So, you weigh less than your son. Do you weigh less than your wife now? If so, how is she taking that or does she even know?

Glad to hear you are doing so great despite it all.
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby Katydid » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:37 pm

On The Biggest Loser they refer to dropping below 200 pounds as entering 'ONEderland'. :lol:
Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby carollynne » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:39 am

Dis, Good morning to you! Katydid, I Just had to write and say that I also can remember entering Onederland, and having a seat on the the famed Onederland train, seat number 199, or 198 and so on. It was from a Weight Watchers concept, and my sister who is sort of following Wt watchers told me about that train ride. It was a feeling I will never forgot too. You will get there!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby Dissolution » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:33 pm

Chile I do sometimes wonder what this journey would have been like with a more supportive spouse, or better yet a participating spouse. She was quick to jump on the Atkins bandwagon when I "discovered" that.

carollynne So sorry to hear about your husband backsliding. But kudos to you for sticking with it.

I'm always shocked when I hear #2 son state he will never go vegan again. When he was doing it, I don't remember it being such a misery for him.

fulenn Let me know how that risotto turns out. For the wine I just used a single serving cardboard container I got at the grocery store. Of course I wouldn't know a good wine if I had one. Beer on the other hand...

Debbie She mentioned she was back over 200 now, but not by much I imagine. I'm still bouncing around the 200-202 march. I never wight myself when she's around and generally if she asks, I'll round up to the nearest 5.

Katydid ONEderland, that's awesome. I'll have to use that one.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Were to begin this post, I know I'll just ramble!

My hands are "ok". Not great, but not too bad. The skin is still peeling, but the rate is much slower so the underneath skin isn't as raw as 2 months ago. I do seem to go through bouts of itching, still haven't figured the trigger for that, no blisters really anymore.

My 16 year old nephew just concluded a two week visit. The wife wanted me to find something other than golf to do with him, so we started Geocaching (a game in which the object is to identify and find items deposited by other players, using GPS navigation) It's a lot of fun, and can sometimes involve a lot of serious hiking. The wife went with us, two weekends ago and seemed to like it well enough to agree to do it more often. We bought a couple of 2L water backpacks yesterday. I'll be interesting to see how this develops.

She has quit "smoking" for now. She using a vaporizer, it's like an electronic cigarette, but larger and heavier and has a more satisfying "draw". She hasn't had a regular cigarette in 11 days now. She thinks she might be putting on some weight since switching. She's still consuming nicotine, just without all the other stuff.

#2 son is up to 215 Lbs, and thinks it's all muscle he's put on. He hand to buy a bigger belt yesterday, so I guess those waist muscles are super pumped. I'm not sure what to do. He's trying so hard to convince himself that he's not getting fatter.

I needed to shop for a new dress shirt Yesterday. #2 was with me, and we found a nice selection. I said, I had no idea what my measurements were anymore. We found an employee and we both got measured. I'm 16 32/33 (Large) and #2 son was 17 32/33 (X-Large). He was actually proud to be shopping for a shirt a size larger than me.

I haven't talked about food much lately. I think I've decided I don't really like cooking. So I never want to cook, until I am hungry and then I'll look up a nice recipe and decide it would take too long and just plain food. I guess that's not bad. I mean I'm not tempted by meat or anything. The wife's sweets laying around still bother me.

Take care and happy Monday!
Dissolution

Postby Chile » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:28 pm

You've probably already looked into this, but did any cleaning or personal care products change at the time your hands started going crazy? I ask because my skin is super-sensitive to these things and there is only one brand of bath soap and laundry detergent I can use.

When I recently dumped all my Ivory laundry detergent (at the local Ronald McDonald House) in an effort to buy "healthier" brands, it was a big mistake. My legs kept itching. It took me a while to figure out that it started up when I began washing my jeans in the new super-green, no bad ingredients, laundry detergent. As soon as I sweated at all, my legs would begin to itch and it would get progressively worse until I ripped my jeans off (not in public!) and wiped my legs off with a washcloth.

As soon as I bought a new box of Ivory and rewashed all my jeans (and other clothes), the itching went away. The Ronald McDonald House got another big donation.
Chile

Postby carollynne » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:52 pm

Dis, great that your hands are doing better. Could be a million reasons why, so at least it is better now......
good luck with the sons and the family. All we can ever change is ourselves and our reactions to others is our choices. I am so glad to have found this WOE. Esp whenever you can be around a lot longer to help take care of others in the family as they have more and more compilations with medical conditions.
Yes, DH is backsliding a bit, but that is his choice and I have resolved to let him be.

thanks a have a good week!!
carollynne

Postby Dissolution » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:54 am

It's been almost 6 months since I posted. For a while everything was good. I did have trouble staying below the 200Lbs mark. But I stayed pretty close to it.

Then starting in November, things got kinda bad. The wife (who BTW is still not smoking) started gearing up for her massive Christmas baking ordeal. She was testing recipes, asking me to taste stuff, she was leaving the kitchen a wreck most days. I started eating less whole foods and more processed foods, and not always completely vegan. No meat though. Then after Thanksgiving when she actually started "production" I pretty much couldn't cook anything, either because of the mess or because she didn't want me to make her chocolate smell.

The dinning room, which I had to pass through several times a day literally contained hundreds of pounds of Christmas treats, I just couldn't take it and the beast took over. I've had trouble getting him re-caged. Right after the first of the year, most of her Christmas stuff was gone, but I had trouble controlling the cravings. I "cheated" several times in the first couple of weeks on January. Stuff like doughnuts or candy bars, sweets. I've done better the last couple of weeks, but still seem to be eating a LOT of calories, mostly bread products I guess.

I weighed this morning and I'm up to 236, shocking how fast it came back. I've GOT to get this under control.

I had 3 steroid shots for my hands last year, the last one being at the end of October. The wife says my back is much hairier than it used to be. Not sure if true or she is imagining things. I've switched off of soy milk and that is seeming to help my hands.

Anyways I hope everybody is doing well!

Happy Monday
Dissolution

Postby nicoles » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:19 am

Glad you're back, Dissolution! You came to the right place. :)
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals