Bea's Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby BHealthy » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:48 am

Sksamboots - thanks so much for your encouragement. You really do spread the faith around on this forum. There is nothin' to be jealous about. Trust me on that one! :D

Kirk - I appreciate your wisdom and experience so much. I swelled up so much in my abdomen and hips and thighs that I had to take that lasix. I need to get more weight off to be able to work and so I'm going to keep taking it. Also, I wonder if my body isn't trying to lubricate my knee joint by retaining fluids. I will begin the synovial fluid shots soon.

Letha - thanks so much for your kind words. You are dealing with so much pain and keeping at it 100%. I think YOU are strong and caring beyond words. Plus you are a great cook and tech master. Thanks so much for the bean tips. I am going to watch Youtube for some tips . . . as soon as I get some time.

LauraA - I'm so glad you like this blog because sometimes I feel like a whiner. I erased a long personal post because I thought it was too revealing and also sounded so self-indulgent. Maybe it wasn't all that. Thanks for your support.

Nancy - I'm rooting for you, too! Your flexibility and willingness to rough it in as green a way as possible is amazing to me.

Toadfood - you are so right about the shame thing. It's pointless - unless a little of it leads to better thinking and behaving I guess. Definitely not the way the nuns laid it on in the ole Catholic school days. :eek: I am not going to feel ashamed of feeling ashamed - banish shame.

Jim - your beautiful post is so thoughtful and true. Thank you for the powerful message. It will be helpful many, many times in the future, as well. I agree with Kirk - well, done!

Anna - we will all be Star McDougallers. I'm lucky that I have such motivating physical things going on right now. They really kick the ole heinie into gear, that's for sure!

Well, the lasix helped get rid of some of that extra water today. I want to wait to weigh until the end of the month, but I'm just so darn curious when I feel this heavy sloshy weight coming back. I got in a good 60 min pool workout today and did minimal walking. I'm afraid the walking is just too darn painful now. At the physical therapy office I rated the pain a 7 and now I would rate it an 8 or 9, so it just keeps getting worse the more I walk. I wonder if using crutches would help more than a cane. I do have crutches. I'll have to test that out.

Tonight I weighed 393 - so that's a sign things are moving in the right direction again. I figure I have at least 20 more pounds of fluid on my thighs and abdomen etc right now. It's so strange. I sure hope this leaves me waaaay before I get down to the 200s. I hate it!

Made spaghetti with broccoli and marinara sauce today for lunch and dinner. Last night I went out for dinner and had whole wheat spaghetti with marinara - skipped the bread - and had 2 dinner salads with balsamic vinegar. It was very filling and delicious. So I wanted more and made it at home.

Monday I have my yearly check-up with the endocrinologist. He's a great doc who keeps track of my thyroid needs since I don't have one. I switched to synthroid about a year ago and I like it better than the other non-animal one I took - I guess. I've never felt the same since having my thyroid removed - but the way my weight changes - that could be making it more difficult to get the dose correct. Also, eating soy is tricky with thyroid. I'm very lucky I don't have diabetes or anything else with all I've put this body through in my lifetime.

It's very late and I have to get up early, so time to sign-off.

Thanks again to everyone who posts all their great support here. My apologies for not having time to post in your logs right now, but I'm starting back at work and so busy and gone from my computer most of the time.
Taking care of my health today,
Bea

Bea's Journal

7/7/09 429
8/7/09 398
9/7/09 380
10/7/09 367
11/7/09 352
BHealthy

Awesome, AWESOME weigh-in!

Postby Ege Bamyasi » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:31 am

Way to go on that 393, Bea! As your weight keeps dropping the water is going to follow, and I really do hope for your sake that it will be sooner rather than later. Keep that discussion alive with your doctors and see what ideas they have for you in addition to my suggestion of partially inverting for a little while every day.

I'm so happy for you that things are falling into place for you like this. Given what you're having to contend with, I'd have to say you're doing a stellar job!

{{hugs}}
Ege Bamyasi

Postby sksamboots » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:55 pm

Glad some of that water is coming off. The swim sounds nice, as always :-D
sksamboots

Postby Letha. » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:26 pm

Hi Bea,
Just stopped by to say hi. :) I know you are busy getting ready for the new school year. Hope you are having a good week.
Letha
Letha.

Postby BHealthy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:53 pm

Haven't had much time to visit the forum lately, but I'm hanging in with eating and exercising.

My weight is now 391 - and that's with fluids still hanging on - so I'm lucky to be losing at all.

Gotta go get some supply shopping done now.
Bea

Bea's Journal

7/7/09 429
8/7/09 398
9/7/09 380
10/7/09 367
11/7/09 352
BHealthy

Postby raimel80 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:47 pm

You make me feel super lazy bea! You are doing such a great job. Keep with it and it will happen. :-D
"Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward"

raimel80

Postby BHealthy » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:25 am

Kirk - thanks for the kudos about the weight - but believe me - it goes up and down and all over depending on the mood my body is in - does it want to hold onto fluids or not? It just can't seem to make up its mind. :?

Sksamboots - you would have loved it tonight. I went swimming at 11:30 and the sky was very clear. When I finished the workout I floated around looking at the stars and was treated to a lovely shooting star. Made a wish, of course!

Leah - I have been getting things for the year and doing some planning and reading to get going . . . but I haven't braved moving the furniture back in place and getting the room set up. If my knees are friendly tomorrow then I will head over to do that for awhile. Hope you are having a glorious week near the seashore.

Ramiel80 - I must sound busier than I am because I haven't really accomplished that much. I keep avoiding the most grueling work that just has to be done this week/weekend. Trust me, I'm no worker-bee (Bea). :D

Today I met with the endocrinologist. I go once a year. Last year I was about 70 pounds lighter. I told him I planned on losing enough weight to qualify for getting new knees before I see him next year. He said something about seeing me dance and bounce around and you bet I'd do that! He's an awesome thyroid doctor. Always listens and gives wise advice and is kind and gentle, respectful - which isn't always the case when doctors see obese patients.

I climbed steps to my health club. They only have an internal elevator - more like a strange lift, but they will let me in the pool door which is ground level. I can just use the pool and then exit out the same door. Very smooth. I rejoined. It's expensive, but the only place nearby with a pool I can get into and out of with convenient hours for lap swimming and lots of water classes.

Today I saw the tendon from my big toe. Now this is a grand achievement - not because my belly is usually in the way - but because that means there wasn't so much fluid on my foot. I could fit into leather thong sandals that had been impossible to wear for months and months. Most of the fluid seems to be hanging around between my knees and chest. So weird.

The workers who redid the outside of our condo are coming to work on inside work they need to finish - so I think I spent a lot of time trying to catch the cats to lock them safely in the bathroom, but no success in the long run. Those rascals are so smart! I'm planning a new strategy for tomorrow - the catnip, crawly toy, combing - caught ya' BEFORE they notice what's up.

Well, it's after 2 and I need to get up and get busy tomorrow, so off to bed.
Bea

Bea's Journal

7/7/09 429
8/7/09 398
9/7/09 380
10/7/09 367
11/7/09 352
BHealthy

Postby LauraA » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:07 am

Your swim sounds wonderful! I love shooting stars, and usually call them falling stars, because I'm so old that I think of Perry Como singing "catch a falling star and put it in your pocket, save it for a rainy day"! Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

"ON PLAN, AND PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"
Letha
LauraA

Postby sksamboots » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:42 am

Yes, I am jealous of your swimming. If me and chlorine got along better, I would be right out there with you! Sounds glorious :D :D
sksamboots

Postby BHealthy » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:28 pm

I haven't been swimming since Monday but am heading over in a few minutes.

Yesterday I got new batteries installed in the scooter and it works well now. I've got it at work for traveling long distances. I hope to be able to walk long distances as I lose more weight, but right now that isn't possible or practical.

Today I saw the knee doctor, got an injection and got a prescription for a walker with a seat and wheels. I got it this afternoon and it is amazingly helpful! I almost cried. It's so much better than the cane. I can use both arms to support more weight and take less pressure off both knees. The seat is perfect for waiting in line etc. The women at the orthopedic shop were so helpful and kind. I really appreciated it.

Tomorrow I will be moving lots of furniture. That will be a workout, but I plan on swimming, too. I've rejoined the "health" club and will be trying out swimming there again next week to start getting used to it.

I've been eating for my health - although tonight I ate quite a bit of spaghetti as I hadn't eaten today due to rushing off to the doctor and heading to work. Unfortunately, I knew I was overeating the spaghetti and didn't really stop as early as I could have, but did stop before anything in me exploded. All day I really forgot about eating as I was so busy then. . .I was really, really hungry. Anyway, lesson from that - be ready for hunger. Take some baked potatoes, a jug of salsa and some veggies to work and some bean spread or hummus to be ready for anything. Even a can of vegan baked beans would work. Eat at regular times because it helps the body take care of itself better - at least that's what I found in the past. Nourish the body at fairly regular intervals and it will be fueled and work its best for me.

Hope everyone is doing well. Time to go swim!

I'm just so very, very lucky to have insurance that helped pay for all but $40 of the walker. I truly feel blessed to have it for the time I will need it between losing weight and having my knees repaired or replaced.

I've still got fluid all over my lower half, but it's slowly getting better. Don't seem to be losing weight right now, but I will again once this water adjusts some more. Eating regularly will be helpful, too. My body may be thinking it's starving when I forget to eat for long stretches - then eat a lot because I realize I'm hungry.
Bea

Bea's Journal

7/7/09 429
8/7/09 398
9/7/09 380
10/7/09 367
11/7/09 352
BHealthy

Postby Letha. » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:38 am

Hi Bea,
Sounds like things are coming together nicely with the walker. It’s so great you are going to continue with the swimming. I agree with you that it’s best to stop everything and nourish that body at regular intervals to keep from getting over-hungry and succumbing to off plan food. Hope you are having a great weekend. :)
Letha
Letha.

Postby sksamboots » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:13 pm

I'm so happy for you, hope you got some swimming in this weekend :)
sksamboots

Postby turquoise » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:01 pm

Hi Bea :)

I hope your weekend has been a good one! After moving furniture you'll probably need a good swim to relax.
87 to go
turquoise

Postby Letha. » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:37 pm

Hi Bea,
Just stopped by to say hi. Hope you are having a good week.
Letha
Letha.

Postby Ege Bamyasi » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:37 pm

Just a kick for good vibes, and to keep you on Page 1. I hope your preparations for the teaching work are going well -- or is this your first week with students? I feel silly not remembering ( :oops: ) but whatever the case, I hope you're doing well and will have time to post again soon! :-D
Ege Bamyasi

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals