Psoriatic Arthritis Journal - 2.5 year Update Page 63

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Psoriatic Arthritis Journal - 2.5 year Update Page 63

Postby AnnaSpanna » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:32 pm

A few things:

We have 3 cats, and 4 dogs, so there will always be meat based food in our house, even if I ever get the rest of the family onto our WOE, which truth be told may never happen.
I can but hope.
We love our animals and I totally get why some of you won't be replacing yours when they pass but I'm not so strong.
I can only go so long without animal companionship and then I cave.
Even now I could happily adopt more furry babies, but hubby would probably object. :D

Food baddies/cravings...
I went ages on this WOE before I 'fell off the wagon' and by gum it doesn't take much to have you wanting the oily/fatty stuff.
So far I keep telling myself that I haven't done too badly but then you go back and look at your journal and you wonder who you're kidding.
All I can hope for is to do the best I can and at least start each day with the intentions of doing better.

I ate some rubbish food at work yesterday but I passed on the cake. Yay me! :lol:
AnnaSpanna

Postby lmggallagher » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:36 pm

nicoles wrote:Michelle- Sad to say, but my cats are their healthiest on the Newman's Own, too. Shhh.

I do the "as much thrift store as possible" thing too, for lot's of reasons.

Which are the three big books you are needing to read? It is very complex, isn't it!

Great post on the addictive foods and dopamine angle. There may be even more to it than that - in one of the books below a tidbit was mentioned that lead me to believe that the gut bacteria and biofilms ( conglomerates of viruses, bacterias and what have you that are working symbiotically to manipulate the gut environment for their mutual benefit) actually have a role in our "food addictions" too. Essentially, we have two brains and one is in our gut - it apparently is directing more stuff than we are aware of. Sadly, this teaser statement is brought up and the reader is just told more about that later, without reference to an actual upcoming chapter, grr.

Anyway, the books I have been reading are:

Bugs, Bowels and Behavior. (Arraga, Viadro and Underwood - 2013) This is pretty technical, but also has held my interest so far. There are lay persons chapters as well. Focuses mostly on autism but great for all the interesting research on the mechanisms of gut function and other ailments get mentioned with enough frequency and depth that it's worth trying it out..

The Food Allergy Survival Guide. (Melina, Stepaniak and Aronson - 2012) Includes work by our McDougall buddy Dr. Klapper and considers the vegan approach to food. This one is a good read so far :)

Food Allergies and Food Intolerance. (Brostoff and Gamlin - (1989, 1992 and 2000) This one is pretty simplistic and outdated, but it's interesting to see how the GE field has expanded it's knowledge in the intervening time. It seems to be good on detailing the standard elimination diet and what to expect, but it's not going to be an eye opener for many folks.

I'll let you know if I find out how gut bacteria, et al. gang up on us and make us eat bad food - isn't it enough that the food contains chemicals we get addicted too!!!! It just can't be that there is more to that horrendous equation - good grief!

However - now that I am doing an ED that doubles down on making sure tested saccharides are excluded - I know it's completely true that those have had a really bad effect on me. I just have got to figure out which of them leads me to pain, fatigue and then to the store for coconut chocolate not ice cream!! I doubt I have ever gone a full three weeks since I started McDougalling without confronting MAJOR cravings, but I haven't had one in that amount of time on FODMAPS.

I am having a really high fatigue day (no sleep last night - electronics, oops) that will ALWAYS set me up. Yet my big craving is simply potatoes - which are completely OK. As tired as I am I will be going to the store as I am out! Before I would have to practically turn my keys over to a responsible adult so as to not run out and get something sweet at the store be it fruit or not ice cream. Today not even thinking about that possibility except to mention it here.

Of course on Adkins I'd be a starch addict, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glad your posting again Nicole - it's always a learning experience or something just terribly fun/funny here :)

xoxoxoxo - Michelle
lmggallagher

Postby moonwatcher » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:57 pm

Okay, I can find that tiny dot and I just posted a whole long thing about this and somehow lost it. I Just don't have the juice to reproduce it right now.

GGRRRR to this new format!!

So I'll just say thanks, Nicole, and that I listened to the short video of her talking that Dr. McDougall sent out in e-mail and I really liked the part about how we can change our gene expression with our choices.

Also, the difference that Michelle notices now that she has found a balance through the FODMAP approach (I've learned some helpful details too so thanks) is the way things are for me now. I did not want more than the ceremonial bite of gluten free vegan wedding cake I tasted. It was too sweet and rich and would have made me sick to have more so I didn't wish to continue.

I'm wondering if the life long danger of addiction is a matter of degree and depends on a bunch of things.

I've had some degree of those issues, mostly earlier in my life, so I know what that's like, but I just don't have that longing to go off plan because things are so good. That makes no sense to me.

Maybe I'm just wierd. This food addiction thing is all over the place right now. Again maybe it's a matter of degree, or maybe I do not have a stongly addictive personality--if that kind of categorization even exists anymore. I just don't think this is as deterministic as they make it sound. But maybe that's because I am not an addict. I don't know. . .just thinking out loud.

And boy, this better post!! :lol: :lol:

Thanks for all the good thought provoking info, gals :)

xoxo

moonwatcher
Please join me at my new blog Plant-Based Slow Motion Miracle

http://fatfreevegan.com/slowmiracle/

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby nicoles » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:26 pm

HI All - Moonwatcher, I agree - there are degrees of addiction. I liked that summary because it is a good reminder for people who tend to be addictive, but I also think Michelle mentioned that our microbiome has an influence on our emotional and mental states, and I think that is true, too.
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby nicoles » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:32 pm

Just dropping in quick to say a couple fast things, but before I do - I want everyone I know here who might read my journal to know that i think this forum is a really important place! It has helped me tremendously the whole time I have been eating this way and I know it has contributed, and is contributing to my healing.

I have not been around lately mostly to "live and feel life" a bit more directly, which is good. My DH sent me this video of Louis CK on Conan O'Brien, and it pretty much sums up where I have been at, although I came to it on my own. I swear! :lol:

Also - here is Funny or Die's re-imagining of that Chipotle ad I posted a few back. So accurate! Pretty much how I felt about the ad, although I had a bit more about not eating meat in my internal critique.

My Journal
nicoles

Postby moonwatcher » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:06 pm

Hi Nicole!!

Oh that Conan O'Brien segment was fabulous--I am so pop culture ignorant that I don't know who Louis CK is but he is brilliant--so wise and so hilarious!! "You just feel kind of satisfied with your products--and then you die." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Truly though, what a wonderful choice you are making to be present.

Sending you love and solidarity. :)

And yes, about the addiction thing, all points have validity. Sorry to be brief, must go eat. Thanks so much for this!!

xoxo

moonwatcher

pa the format is finally lookin' good!!

pps edited to add: I am SO sending this to MIke!!

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby Lesliec1 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:28 pm

Just popping in to say I Love those links. I adore Louis CK and That parody is great but yes, what you said! If only they included the pretending we dont serve cut up animals idea. But it was good anyway.

This new format is hard on an ipad. I cant enlarge anything to read it easier.
Lesliec1

Postby eri » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:33 pm

So happy you are able to live life a lil more. We miss you, though! :)
eri

Postby lmggallagher » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:07 pm

Hey Nicole:

Good call on living life more fully - I am trying to take that approach too now that I am feeling so much better. I hope you are feeling great too and can be out doing and bein' to the fullest extent!

I guess my wake up call and that is a pun was the insomnia - which is gone, gone gone - if I limit electronic and get out in early morning sun! Simply put, I was making myself sick being online too much!

So - glad you are taking this path - and maybe you'll be back on the rainy days.

Funny Louis CK - I'd being watching late night TV, but oh, I guess it's against my religion now! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Take care - I know you have, are , will do so - Michelle
lmggallagher

Postby jamietwo » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:57 pm

nicoles wrote:I have not been around lately mostly to "live and feel life" a bit more directly, which is good.

This is VERY good! Enjoy! :nod:
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby nicoles » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:39 pm

Hi Everyone!

I am still living life, but you know what?

I miss you guys!!

This forum might have to be the exception to my less-time-online rule.

You all are that special!

OK, bedtime.

More soon!

Xoxo

Nicole

My Journal
nicoles

Postby Lesliec1 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:34 am

You're so smart to do this!
Lesliec1

Postby lmggallagher » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:55 am

Hey Nicole :)

Looking forward to the more soon. Me too. I have been off getting my house back in order finally! Well not the office but it comes next. Anyway can't wait to here how you are doing - been missing you but I do get the urge to get away from the keyboard NOW!

(((hugs)))) - Michelle
lmggallagher

Postby moonwatcher » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:10 pm

I miss everyone when I'm away, too, Nicole! It will be great to hear more from you when you're ready. I've got t get over to my own journal and post an update I hope you all will check out. Can't keep up with myself these days.

xoxo

moonwatcher

moonwatcher

Postby nicoles » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:25 am

Helloooo!

I am around, I am reading, and I am missing you all! I have been busy with some good freelance work! So that is nice. And I am also trying to get out and see people more, without losing the balance of not taxing my energy too much. Learning as I go.

I am thinking of doing some plein air art work, inspired by Moonwatcher's recent art week! Sounded like so much fun, and the weather here in LA now is just perfect.

Of course, I am also always learning more about health and nutrition and all that. An obsession if you will. :lol: I might have a lot to say about that soon, as some things have been gradually absorbing into my brain.

My Dad has been in the hospital for a week, and is about to have another surgery, or not. That is up in the air. He is OK, I think. Stressful for us all, though. Waiting and seeing.

I saw this video this morning. It is an ad for a helmet camera, for sure, but wow. So moving! I love cats, so it killed me.

But in a good way.

xoxo

Nicole

My Journal
nicoles

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals