Psoriatic Arthritis Journal - 2.5 year Update Page 63

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Psoriatic Arthritis Journal - 2.5 year Update Page 63

Postby moonwatcher » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:00 pm

HI Nicole,

Sorry to hear about your Dad--that waiting and seeing can be a challenge. Sending love and support to all of you through this time, always.

Loved hearing these updates!! I love to think of you "Plein Airing" down in sunny LA. It's so cold and rainy here it's hard to imagine I was out in the sun in my shirtsleeves painting just a couple of short weeks ago. I'm thrilled to hear of your enthusiasm, and know you have a standing invitation to come up for the official event here any year you are able. :)

I hope I will get my words and pictures together to write a blog post about it, at least some of it. Switching from words to images is really something. Kind of has me "wordless" in some areas, which I'm sure you can relate to.

Congrats on the good free lance work!! And looking forward to seeing what your plein air yield. Thanks for kind words on facebook about what I put up. Kind of hard to see, but you get the idea anyway.

xoxo

moonwatcher
Please join me at my new blog Plant-Based Slow Motion Miracle

http://fatfreevegan.com/slowmiracle/

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby AnnaSpanna » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:57 pm

Also sorry about your dad. I hope he's on the mend as soon as possible.
Don't worry about not posting, we all have real lives out there (I haven't been around much lately either. Busy, busy!).
Just visit us when you can.

I hope you get lots of satisfaction from your freelance work. :)
AnnaSpanna

Postby eri » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:42 pm

Ugh! I hate waiting & seeing. I pray your dad is in good spirits & will be ok. So glad you are able to get in more freelancing!
eri

Postby lmggallagher » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:10 pm

Hi Nicole:

Gee I sure hope this is the surgery that keeps getting put off and that they succeed perfectly this time once and for all. As usual he and your family are in my prayers.

As for you - it all sounds good. Love the idea of you getting out and seeing folks more and the plein air painting too - fantastic! The weather up here has been fabulous too - it's really hard to stay indoors at all!

(((hugs ))) - Michelle
lmggallagher

Postby nicoles » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:45 pm

Hi AnnaSpanna, Moonwatcher, Eri and Michelle!

Thanks, ladies. Dad is out of hospital, on an injectable blood thinner. They might try the surgery again in a few weeks. We'll see.

ON another note, I just saw this thing about a man living inside the Astor Place cube in NY. What do you think? Real or a hoax?

ETA - it is not real - it is viral marketing for the mediation technique the guy says helped him get out of the cube. Oh well. Fun idea! And pretty spacious apartment for that part of town.
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby MSNomad » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:03 pm

Glad to hear your dad is out of the hospital. Wishing the best for him.

You've been missed! You should definitely make us an exception and continue to come around here more often! I say that for selfish reasons, of course!!! :lol:

The cube is cool. I think I could make that space work. A fun idea, even if not real!
I have a blog about traveling well with MS: MSNomad's blog
You can also "like" me on Facebook: MSNomad's FB page
I also keep a journal here on the Discussion Boards: MSNomad's journal
MSNomad

Postby ~Beth~ » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:28 pm

Hi Nicole
Glad your Dad is out of the hospital
I totally get how stressful it is dealing with parents' healthcare issues as I have had
much of that to deal with the past few years.
Hope you are able to get some time for yourself
Sounds like all in all you have been doing okay and pacing yourself
Nice to have you checking in after a few days off from the forums

Start date: Sept 25, 2012
~Beth~

Postby nicoles » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:01 am

Hi MSNomad! It would be a cool space, if it were real! Fun to imagine.

Thanks, Beth. I am sorry to hear you have had to deal with parents' health issues recently. It is hard, indeed.

My Journal
nicoles

Postby nicoles » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:03 am

I am not sure why, But I saw this picture this morning and it made me laugh so hard!

My Journal
nicoles

Postby nicoles » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:57 pm

Well, I am back! Can't stay away, at least not from this forum. :lol:

I ate some bad food ( "fresh" berries that tasted off) the other day and got food poisoning for two and a half days. Ick! Was not super fun. I never really was the kind of person to throw up much, I oddly enough have an iron stomach, so anytime I do get the nauseous kind of sick, I am the biggest baby about it ever. So glad it is done!!! Still not super into green cooked veggies yet though. :shock:

You know, when I started to feel a bit better, all I wanted was rye toast with butter and poached eggs. Um, did not have that, but old habits truly do fie hard! :lol:

My dad is starting to feel a bit more like himself now that he has been at home for a few days and had a chance to nap at will. For the last two days he has been taking long walks in the morning and napping less, so that makes me a feel a bit more relaxed about how he is doing for the moment.

I have also been working on three portrait commissions and some landscapes, which is great fun and money! Yay!

My Journal
nicoles

Postby lmggallagher » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:17 pm

Hey you -

Good to have you back for an update - especially on your Dad! Glad he is up and moving - but it sounds like it's not over yet. Grrr. still as always thinking the good thoughts for him and you all!

Bad food - so sorry. I am in tummy hell today too and think it's simply because I went over on FODMAPS limit for bok choy - bummer. Not as bad obviously as food poisoning - but enough to claim some solidarity with what you have just been through!

Funny that you are not a green veggies person too - I thrive on these - it's the fruits I have to really watch. There are some veggies that are not good in big doses on FOMAPS but looks like I can eat most of my favs.

Hey my news is I am out of the obese category as of yesterday. I have done this before on McD and bounced back :crybaby: - so I am not calling it really big news until I am definitely well below this current level :lol: :lol: :lol:

Really happy to hear you have all these commissions - fantastic - Nicole! What sort of things are you working on subjectwise??

I have been working cleaning out (in part) my Mom's studio. It's been really a walk down memory lane to see her stuff again - it's going to take a long time but one day I hope to make that space mine for my own version of creativity. Would that I could paint and draw like you do - but it's nothing that she sent on down the gene pool! Drat! :lol: :lol:

I am so glad you can't stay away toooo long - but so happy that you have great reasons -- like you're working --- to keep you away!

Take care and beware of funky fruit - Michelle
lmggallagher

Postby moonwatcher » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:37 pm

HI Nicole--

So sorry to hear about the food poisoning!! That is no fun. I hope you're all better now. You know, that rye toast sounded pretty darn good. I still feel sorry for myself at times that it's best if I don't eat bread. :crybaby: But then I laugh at myself (usually). :lol:

I am glad to hear, too, that your Dad is feeling better--it was nice to hear of his long morning walks. Holding good thoughts for him, and all of you.

And yes, congrats on those lovely commissions. A landscape too! What of?

xoxo

moonwatcher
Please join me at my new blog Plant-Based Slow Motion Miracle

http://fatfreevegan.com/slowmiracle/

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby jld » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:31 am

Yes, very exciting you got those commissions. You are such a talented lady, Nichole. And so generous with all your knowledge.:)

So what are you going to do with the money? You do not have to answer that, btw! Lol! And enjoy the work!:)
A clean life is its own reward.
jld

Postby jamietwo » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:41 pm

I haven't thought of poached eggs in years! Probably because I haven't had any since I was a kid. :) So sorry to hear about your food poisoning. :( Glad you are feeling well again! And good that your dad is taking walks.

Congratulations on your commissions! You really are a talented artist! I've enjoyed the artwork you've shared on your journal. :nod:
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby nicoles » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:40 am

Hiya Michelle! Yup my Dad is doing well, but we are waiting while the medicine he is taking now takes effect to see if it can even bring him to the point to be ABLE to have surgery, so no over yet. So we are just doing the day-by-day thing here. Thanks so much for the good thoughts thunk!

Sorry about your tummy hell, sweetie! I am always amazed at how SUBTLE the differences between OK and not-OK are eating the way I do and having the illness I have. Not fair it takes just a bit extra bok choy to push you over, but I hear you - there are things like that for me, too, and a big one is having too much food, period!

I am excited to her that you are planning to make your Mom's old studio a place for you creatively! Can't wait!!

The commissions are for two child portraits and a cat portrait. Once they are done, I'll post pics (I have it in my agreement that the finished portrait is legally"mine" as an image to do what I like with, even if the material portrait leaves my hands forever.)

Hey Moonwatcher! Yes, food poisoning is not fun! But you know what? I have read the theory that bacteria and viruses have a potentially symbiotic relationship with us in that the rest and break from food we need to fight the virus also gives out bodies time to do other cellulare repair, so I just try to look at it as a benefit when I get sick. :lol:
Thanks for the good thoughts for my Dad! i know they help us out, I really appreciate it :)

Oh and the landscapes are of the sea - my dearest wild love.

Hi Jld! Thanks! Hmm, the money....I'd like to say I'll spend it on something fun, but it is not enough to do that and we need any cent I can make, so in all honestly, it'll go to cat food, people food and other living expenses. But one day... :nod:

Hi Jamietwo! Thanks for the visit and encouragements! Isn't it weird about the eggs? I had not thought of them in years either, nor the toast. Very old memories my lizard brain resurrected as food options. :shock:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yesterday we had a birthday party for DH and My birthday, which was a week or so earlier but the timing for a party was off. He and I have birthdays one day apart, so we just call it "our birthday" which is fun! :D

It was a great day. We made it really casual, it was a lot of people total, but we had people coming and going all afternoon and until about 8 pm, so it never got to be too many people at once. Pretty much the whole time we were all sitting in our patio space outside, enjoying everyone's company and the beautiful day.

We put out healthy food like grapes and cherry tomatoes, baby carrots and sliced cukes, and had hummus, salsa and guacamole to dip (not healthy)chips in. Plus we had mini pretzels out, medjool dates, raw cashews and pistachios. We served soda water, pomegranate juice, and homemade cucumber-mint water (just chilled water with fresh mint and slices cukes infused in it) to drink, and we had bought a 24-pack of PBR in case people wanted alcohol. Worked out great, because people DID want to drink - as they do, haha - and people also tended to bring some wine or nice beers to share as a "party gift" so all the people were perfectly happy and ate pretty healthy in our hospitality. Yay!

We served the cucumber water in my favorite pitcher, this Depression glass one that belongs to a whole glasses-and-dish set I have from my grandmother. So pretty AND so autumn-y!

We also got some lovely autumn flowers, and the best present ever! A roll of re-usable, handmade, snap together "paper towels"! We love them so much since we hate wasting paper so these were just perfect :D :D :D

My Journal
nicoles

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals