Psoriatic Arthritis Journal - 2.5 year Update Page 63

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Psoriatic Arthritis Journal

Postby lmggallagher » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:18 pm

HAPPY DANCING, HAPPY DANCING, HAPPY DANCING

ALL OVER THE WORLD

FANTASTIC ON ALL FRONTS

NO KIDDING YOU DESERVE A NAP TODAY
lmggallagher

Postby nicoles » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:53 am

Aw, thanks Michelle! You are just so gosh-dang sweet! :D :D :D
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby nicoles » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:05 am

I suppose it's no surprise that I am actually sick. :lol: Lot's of ups and downs and efforts extended over the last 2 weeks. :nod:

What is interesting is the quality of my sickness - I did not really accept that it was so until last might, when I realized, "Oh! THIS is what sick is like now!"

It's tamer. I am tired, but in the sense that I don't want to do things like the dishes, and that I am ready for bed early. But I don't have major symptoms. A little stuffed up - but very slightly. An occasional bout with a sore throat that lasts maybe 30 minutes and goes away until I am quite tired from the day.

Very interesting.

Learned something pithy about appetite hormones today. Lack of sleep turns off leptin - which regulates hunger, and turns on ghrelin, which is a hunger-stimulating peptide and hormone.
So no wonder we get ravenous when tired. One time not to listen to your body, I suppose.

And - am I the only one who sees "gremlin" when I read "ghrelin"? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by nicoles on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

My Journal
nicoles

Postby lmggallagher » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:43 am

nicoles wrote: Learned something pithy about appetite hormones today. Lack of sleep turns on leptin - which regulates hunger, and turns on ghrelin, which is a hunger-stimulating peptide and hormone.
So no wonder we get ravenous when tired. One time not to listen to your body, I suppose.

And - am I the only one who sees "gremlin" when I rad "ghrelin"? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey Nicole:

So sorry your sick - clearly what you've been going through these last few weeks push you over.

Boy, do I know about leptin and ghrelin. With the two sleep disorders I have - that's part of why the weight has gone on these past years. When I am not sleeping and highly fatigued - that's the only time I crave sweet things. And boy do I then! This would be when ice cream sings to me from the from fro food section!

Seems like you can kind of slow down a bit and just focus on getting better right now - your in laws have it under control, your Hubby has the new job and you all will have more money soon. All good things. I'd mention the move too - which could be good too money wise but dang if it also doesn't sound like a lot of work. Forget I mentioned it.

Take care & take naps - Michelle
lmggallagher

Postby moonwatcher » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:44 am

HI nicoles--

I SO saw gremlin when i read ghrelin!!! :lol: :lol: (Even just now the spellcheck wanted to change it back to "gremlin.") :lol: :lol:

If I can continue to be weird here, I'll say that although I am sorry to hear you are sick I am jumping up and down with delight to hear that it is more tame than it used to be. Yes! Yes! I know this phenomenon exactly, and I am so glad for it now. You might end up being surprised and saying, is this all there is? Even if it does that viral thing and goes quiet and flares up, it may well not be that bad. So hooray for being "less" sick. And it'll just get better in the big picture as time goes on. I have found that to be true anyway.

When I'm truly exhausted I can't eat, which also sounds weird. Now you KNOW I love to eat. But I've even put my bowl in the fridge and gone to lay down because I'm more tired than hungry. Maybe my gremlins are dyslexic???!!

Less sick or not, I hope you feel better soon. Take gentle care--

xo

moonwatcher
Please join me at my new blog Plant-Based Slow Motion Miracle

http://fatfreevegan.com/slowmiracle/

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby nicoles » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:21 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Michelle, no worries about mentioning moving - I have already spent the last hour searching for listings. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am not likely to forget anytime soon that moving is in our future. It'll be our new second job, looking for just the right place at just the right price.

Yes, this whole week eating eating eating has been singing to me! Oh! Duh! I am tired!<facepalm> :-D

I can focus a bit on getting better - I just have to really pace myself. And nap!

Moonwatcher
- Good to know I am not the only "ghrelin/gremlin" person :D

And I totally understand being happy about being tamely sick - I am actually happy about it, too.

It kind of feels like all is right with the world - this is the way normal, healthy people get sick. And it is relieving to know that the laws of cause and effect are still in place - I overdid it, the seasons changed and my life is a bit topsy turvy now - of course I'd get a little run down. That seems right. That seems appropriate. :)

:-D

My Journal
nicoles

Postby moonwatcher » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:05 pm

:thumbsup: :)

moonwatcher

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby nicoles » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:29 pm

:)

Things to do when sick:

Spend 4 hours in the morning working on portrait commission

Spend 1 hour looking for new apartments

Force self to stop working

Seriously consider applying to a 10-day Vipassana retreat here

Watch a scary documetary about GMOs. :eek:

Read a book my dad left about elves and vampires and mythical creatures in general.

My Journal
nicoles

Postby nicoles » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:34 pm

Interesting article about Victoria Williams, who was diagnosed with MS in 1993.

Article wrote:Dr. Bowling offers some advice for Williams and others in a similar situation: “There are some complementary therapies that are worth considering for MS, ideally in conjunction with standard treatments. They include dietary strategies, where you cut back saturated fat, increase polyunsaturated fat, and consider vitamin D-based approaches. Also, exercise may help with multiple symptoms of MS, and not smoking.” Dr. Bowling also recommends “relaxation methods, basic meditation practices—those are free and may be quite helpful if someone has got high levels of stress, and could also be helpful for depression, pain, and insomnia.”Williams recalled a recent tour in which the more music she performed, the better she felt physically. “Music is such a healing thing,” she says. She may be on to something: Dr. Bowling says music is “one of the more promising approaches to MS. Moving to music, creating it, singing it, just listening to it— activates all of these different brain regions.”

In fact, I owned the Sweet Relief Tribute Album that was made by her musician friends to cover the costs of her care, since she had no health insurance at the time.

Don't know why, was just thinking about her this morning, did a Google search, and found that. So, should I get in touch with her about this WOE? She seems like a down to earth, nice lady. :)

My Journal
nicoles

Postby nicoles » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:43 am

Been feeling better the last couple of days. Taking it easy, resting up and reaping the benefits of taking care of myself.

Woke up early this morning, meditated, then walked over to nearby park and did some stretching in the grass. The full moon was setting in the East and the sun was rising in the west. A beautiful time of day to be awake and outside!

Then I called my Mom. It was about 7:30 am and since it was early on the East Coast I figured it would be a good time for her to talk.

Whoops! I was wrong - she answered and said "Can I call you back? I have to finish my aerobics then do my stretching"

:paranoid: Who are you and what have you done with my mother?!?!?!? :lol:

:D :D :D :D

They are coming out West for Thanksgiving, at least they want to. So we are all going to go up to DH's parents and have a vegan No-Turkey Day!

We are all excited. I am going to start planning the menu tomorrow!

FIL and MIL have lost 10 pounds each already. My Dad lost about 45 and my Mom 35. DH lost 45, I lost about 45 and two friends of ours, who I turned onto this WOE after they had a baby, have lost 20 and 15 pounds respectively. My husband added this all up yesterday - 225 total pounds lost off folks we know! So cool!

My Journal
nicoles

Postby lmggallagher » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:26 am

Nicole:

OMG - yes, do contact Victoria Williams maybe you can get Fuelenn and Moonwatcher to chime in with you. sounds like she has a somewhat supportive Doc and would love to hear about what Doc McDougall is doing and maybe the Swank diet?

Now about you - so glad you're feeling better!! And how nice you have park you can take off to and use!

Had to laugh at all the family weight loss - I have still only lost twenty pounds on McDougall - but I can finally say OMG that their combined weight loss is MORE THAN I WEIGH. They have lost me and then some :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So cool about family Thanksgiving - a few weeks ago this would have been a complete "only in your dreams" event. Wow, I wonder what your astrological phase is - all parents turned around, Hubby new job, new home in the mix - you're doing better. Hey, send some of this good luck north, okey dokey!!!!
Last edited by lmggallagher on Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lmggallagher

Postby moonwatcher » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:16 pm

hi nicoles,

Wow, that is great about both sets of parents and family Thanksgiving plans. Michelle made me laugh about her take on the total weight loss. :)

When I am less in catch up mode due to internet and computer stuff, I will try and listen to a Victoria Williams song. About writing her, I don't know, trust your gut. I do find, however, that it's often best for the person with MS to do the initiating. Many friends of someone with MS have thought over the years that it would be such a good idea for "them" to talk to me. They take my phone number even. But I know the person won't call unless it's something they want or are ready for. So I guess you could present it if you feel like it, and know her music and like her, etc. To be honest, I'd never heard of her, so would fell comfortabl unless she came here and asked me a question. Let us know if you decide to write her.

xo

moonwatcher

ps: Your list of things to do while sick made me smile, too. I hope you are feeling all better!!

pps: The reason I am always somewhat dubious when someone wants another person with MS to communicate with me about what they should do is that I know I am probably so motivated to do this and have stayed with it because when the time was right, I sought it out and literally created it for myself. We are a stubborn bunch. :)

moonwatcher

Postby nicoles » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:37 am

Michelle - you make me laugh! We have lost more than you!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Moonwatcher - I understand about not feeling comfortable bringing this WOE up to people with MS - or anyone who could benefit, really. I usually don't, unless asked, and anyone who I know who has ultimately changed their diet did so after only very light information from me, barely any really, and a heavy dose of watching me transform, which I think was a more powerful persuader.

I am no longer sick, and have been feeling great!

I have not been posting much because I am in "painting head" from working on the portrait. I really cannot verbalize at all when I am in art mode - I guess the left and right brains stop talking to each other and right just takes over. I am only on here right now because I have to wait for the oil paint to dry before I do any more work.

(Back when I was teaching I had to teach in the morning and work on art in the afternoon/evening, or else I'd be terrible at explaining things. Literally forget words and get distracted by the colors and light of the students and space out. :lol: )

Also - I have been experimenting with spending less time online, and I really like it! But I like it here, too!

Ah, a dilemma of having to choose between two things I like!

An embarrassment of riches.

My Journal
nicoles

Postby lmggallagher » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:08 pm

Nicole:

Glad to hear your back to feeling good again. Prety fast too! Yay!!!!

I also have to say I am stunned by all your different talents and past job experience. I made a life's career out of doing a variation on one theme. So I see you as an absolute renaissance person. Boy, then there is the creativity of Moonwatcher's writing and cooking (her meals are a fabulous palette of colors as far as I can tell from photos). I feel so very uncreative by comparision. Oh - I AM completely uncreative. Or maybe I would be if I had some place like that office I have to clear out completely to be so!

My Mom was an artist: both water color and oils. I know what you mean about the teaching thing as I heard this stated by her as well. She had a very wonderful friend, a man who begged her to teach him. He was simply her biggest fan. Then he was the Director of the US Geological Service and had been all over the world photographing geology and landscapes. He wanted more than anything to put some of these photos into water color and give it his best try at doing landscapes with my Mom's approach.

She tired so hard to teach him. She's paint up a storm the night's before and try memorize the step of each technique in her mind - but the more she immersed in the painting the less she could wrap her brain around the process of it. She always described it as her impenetrable zone.

He once said to her when she was trying to teach him something and just couldn't express it - "well can't you just write each step down as you do it". She said maybe the only thing she could teach him for sure that "with watercolor you get the inspiration and you don't stop one second for anything, unless maybe you notice your house burning around you!" She gave up trying to teach him and was so disappointed in herself - but seriously I think you said it correctly it's a real brain thing! For some it just won't do both.

I also remember her watching this oil painter, the guy with the huge afro on PBS. And instead of saying interesting technique he is doing now - she'd just say I can't believe he can talk all the way from beginning to end about what he is doing!!! That amazed her the most. You can stop though with the oils.
lmggallagher

Postby moonwatcher » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:05 pm

hi nicoles,

I found what you said about the painting and the explaining very compelling and true and interesting. So much so it put me in a state like that and I couldn't respond! And Michelle's comments were fascinating, too. I have to say that even though I've done only a little painting, I can sure see that. And, believe it or not, the same is true for me with poetry. I can't talk about what I'm going to write, or what I'm working on, I just have to do it. And afterwards, I'm hard pressed to tell anyone what my process was. I can talk about it in general, usually long after, or what things I thought of that made me want to write it, but not how I did it in some kind of step by step way.

So thank you. And glad you are feeling better.

By the way, I enjoyed the "quiet" of no internet when the ISP radio on my roof broke. I wasn't as stressed out about it as I might have thought, though I do love being on line. All good balance.

xo

moonwatcher

moonwatcher

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals