Dissolution's Solution

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Dissolution's Solution

Postby carollynne » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:59 pm

loved your post about Paula Deen!! She is after the money, I just think she is one fat pig looking person her and her husband!! sons look a lot better.
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby Dissolution » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:04 pm

Kinda down today. The expenses we racked up in December, between 2 funerals, trip to NYC and Christmas are coming back to haunt us. Then #3 son called to tell us his car broke down and he was going to need a ride home at 4am this morning. What I can't figure out is how the car broke AT work. The kid is really like a bad luck lighting rod.

To top it all off I guess the wife was kind of depressed today too. So she pulled out the remaining stuff from her Christmas baking a laid it out of the dinning room table. Sweets really seem to be my weakness. Meat and cheese are no problem by themselves. Matter of fact, they are all pretty disgusting. Dairy and eggs aren't a problem wither, unless they're mixed with chocolate and sugar, then it becomes a problem, if it's so easily available.

It's fasting a day tomorrow, maybe I'll be in a better mood by then.
Dissolution

Postby carollynne » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:47 am

Good Morning to you Dissolution! I must say that when sons need us, we get into high gear to help! who else will do this, and so we have been there too. Then with the sweet stuff, oh yes, I really understand, what can keep that particular monster at bay at times is just thinking of the physical digestion problems I can get when I over indulge. Hope it is ok now. Today is a brand new day and you can start over on this path daily, hourly, and every minute if you have to. Hope your wife is feeling better too.
Have a good day!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby Dissolution » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:03 pm

carollynne Thanks, you always seem to cheer me up.

Haven't been out walking since Friday. I could really tell. It's kind of amazing, you body will adapt to what it thinks you want it to be. I spend 4 days sitting on my butt, and then decide to go out walking and my body protested, it's like it was saying, "Hey?! I thought we were just going to sit around?!".

Distance: 1.51 miles
Moving Time: 23:15
Average Moving Speed: 3.89 mph
Elevation gain: 503 ft

I was able to fix #3son's car with a rubber band long enough for him to get the $11 part he needed, so that was good. #2 son (the one on the Engine 2 diet) was really happy tonight, he bought a new winter coat on sale, sized medium, that's down from his old XL size.

The wife is insisting that I go out and buy new clothes, because she can't stand how baggy the ones I'm wearing are. I suggested the Goodwill store, cause I'm not done yet, she agreed. Maybe we'll do that Friday or Monday.

Today is fasting day, I'm really starting to like it. I'm very surprised with how good I feel and how much energy I have had on my fasting days, so far.
Dissolution

Postby lmggallagher » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:13 am

Good luck at the Goodwill. It's such a boost to buy clothes inexpensively just for the pure pleasure of shrinking (isn't that a wonderful word as opposed to growing) out of them. I found a fantastic Junior League thrift shop and got a bundle of Ralph Lauren sweaters for hardly anything. Some are in medium, so I will be shrinking into those ( I hope this very winter) for extra incentive :-D
lmggallagher

Postby carollynne » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:05 am

Well, Well, Well!! Good Morning to you!! :D :-D :-) :eek: then, that is such wonderful news! Dissolution, you are doing terrific. I think that buying smaller sized clothing is so uplifting. And hey if your wife and you can agree on anything at all, that is a super-sized plus. That should motivate you big time!
You know I really think your wive is about to join you on this healthy eating adventure. Your example must be just too good to not notice...
so happy about your son too. Funny my #2 son is the one sons who is not vegan. NO interest yet either. But he did buy his brothers some of the cook books that we got started cooking vegan with too, , Veganonicon The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook and The 30 Minute Vegan.
Not so good on the long break in exercise, I agree, my body will tell me after 3 days of no water therapy, or any exercise.
So cool that you #2 son andddddddd you are sharing this WOE. Mom will join in sooner or later, hopefully not with a major health event .....
WEll have a good day, and keep McDougalling!! :-D
carollynne

Postby Dissolution » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:57 am

lmggallagher I'm sure the Goodwill trip will be interesting. Raising 4 sons (who thought clothes were disposable) on a tight budget, we used to shop for the kids clothes there a fair amount. I never really shopped there, because they never really had much in the 2XL - 4XL sizes. What I am looking forward to the most is being able to buy "good" clothes once I hit my goal weight.

carollynne We'll see how it goes with the wife. She's dropped 2 pounds since she told me I wasn't allowed to weigh less than her, so game on! She did listen to me go on about Dr. McDougall's starch challenge, and how all civilizations were allowed to develop because of starches. She listened, without getting mad. That's a pretty big step forward.

Did my walk/jog this morning.

Distance: 1.40 miles
Moving Time: 19:15
Average Moving Speed: 4.35 mph
Elevation gain: 437 ft

Going to have to try this one day on an actual track. Because so little of my route is level and on pavement. So even when I feel like jogging, I'm not really ready for uphill jogging, and downhill on gravel/dirt/mud just isn't all that safe. I guess the goal should be uphill jogging....

Down another pound this morning...Did I mention I like fasting?
Dissolution

Postby carollynne » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:19 pm

Great news on your wife's losing a few lbs.
Funny what can motivate some people...
plant strong pot luck was great tonight! DH did not go with me, but it was so nice that one man told me that he ought to be there with me for support. But at least my son was. The doctor gave a great lecture, and she had borrowed the same slides from Dr Essy's talk, it was very very well done on her part. Her husband, another doctor was helping to bus the tables!
Have a great rest of the week!!
carollynne

Postby Dissolution » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:00 pm

carollynne Nice to hear about your plant strong pot luck, sounds like a great time. I would love to attend something like that around here. Sometimes it seems as though this lifestyle can be somewhat lonely. I noticed one of my best friends is acting differently now. He thought it was really cool and asked me all kinds of questions when I first started. I was aware that it might become a more sensitive subject with him, once I got to how much he weighs. We're pretty much the same height and build, but he's always been 40 pounds or so lighter than me.

I don't think it's me. I mean sure I'm different, but I try not to be "preachy". Once I caught my friend in weight, I tried to make sure I let him bring the subject of diet or weight loss up, and tried to make sure I didn't flaunt it. My Mother, who has been very supportive, seems to have changed a little bit, since our fancy restaurant experience. She uses phrases like, "What you think" and "What you believe" a lot more lately.

Maybe it is me. A Facebook friend linked a story about a man who was arrested for kicking a kitten. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/25/percy-love-kicks-kitten-o_n_1231794.html?ref=chicago&icid=maing-grid7%7Cmyaol%7Cdl1%7Csec3_lnk3&pLid=130282

The people on Facebook and the people commenting on the article were furious, just furious. All I could think was, what if he had eaten the kitten afterwards? Isn't that basically the same thing as what all these people do every day? That man found it pleasurable to kick a kitten, all these other people find it pleasurable to eat animal flesh, what's the difference? Some animal had to suffer for your pleasure. Holy shit I AM a vegan....Damnit...
Dissolution

Postby Dissolution » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:11 pm

Now I remmebred what I was going to post.

My Daughter in law (married to #1) is a hairdresser. All of my sons go to her to get their hair cut. Her salon allows her to charge $5 for family members. My DIL has a DDD sized chest, I'm not allowed to go, because the wife doesn't want me to get "boobs in the face". I had to run a few errand after work today, I was near the place I went last time to get my haircut (not my DIL's place), so I decided to stop in and get a haircut. Here's the exchange the wife and I had after I got home.

Me: So I had an interesting experience tonight getting my haircut. They used a straight razor to cut the hair on the back of my neck.
Wife: Did it turn you on?
Me: Uhhh, noooo.
Wife: Was it a man or a woman who cut your hair?
Me: I went to the place by Foodlion, the man that was there has parkinson's, I'm NOT letting him cut my hair again. So I had the woman cut it.
Wife: So you got "boobs in the face"?!
Me: No! She was not large chested.
Wife: So you noticed her tits!?
Me: Doh!
Dissolution

Postby fulenn » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:13 pm

Friends do seem to be reacting differently to me, too, though not hugely so. Of course, I am not hugely smaller yet. (That was a fun sentence to type!) Anyway, I was in my office today and a co-worker saw my still-in-its-peel sweet potato on my desk. He just gave me a weird look and finally asked how it was going. One friend is heavier than I am and just keeps telling me that it is genetic, but that only started once I had lost 25lbs. Not sure what the motivation on her part is, maybe just feeling threatened? I am very low-key with people and don't really talk about this much. I have another friend who will not discuss the weight loss and thinks that I am fooling myself that my health condition seems to be manageable with food. I think it will need to continue for an extended amount of time before they believe that this way of eating is what is making the difference.

Not too worried about the husband and boobs, tits, or any other body parts. I figure he married me, he is still with me, and he can look at mine whenever he wants to. :eek: Was she joking?

My grandfather was a barber and one of the things I remember is watching him use a straight razor. It gives a much smoother shave, or so he said. I've never touched someones skin after one was used on them. Is it a nice feel?

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby carollynne » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:51 am

Dissolution. I really do not know what to say about that haircut your wife's comments either.. We are all human, and must get our haircut where we feel most comfortable too. Jeesh! She does sound a bit over sensitive and insecure. We just cannot some sizes on our bodies and if she is not flaunting her body inappropriately, then I would not worry about your wife in this regard. It is not for me to say, but she does loves you.... and after all, you love her too!! I have been married for 32 years now, and that must make a huge difference too.
I have friends, too, who cannot believe the difference in how I look. I love it!
So good luck today and how was the fast day again. I think you are inspiring me to do a fast day too. or half a day. That whole community healthy eating adventure presentation went just so wonderful, that I am amazed still and sort of floating along with the good vibes.
Have a good day, fellow McDougaller!!
carollynne

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:06 am

Dissolution wrote:
I don't think it's me. I mean sure I'm different, but I try not to be "preachy". Once I caught my friend in weight, I tried to make sure I let him bring the subject of diet or weight loss up, and tried to make sure I didn't flaunt it. My Mother, who has been very supportive, seems to have changed a little bit, since our fancy restaurant experience. She uses phrases like, "What you think" and "What you believe" a lot more lately.

Maybe it is me. A Facebook friend linked a story about a man who was arrested for kicking a kitten. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/25/percy-love-kicks-kitten-o_n_1231794.html?ref=chicago&icid=maing-grid7%7Cmyaol%7Cdl1%7Csec3_lnk3&pLid=130282

The people on Facebook and the people commenting on the article were furious, just furious. All I could think was, what if he had eaten the kitten afterwards? Isn't that basically the same thing as what all these people do every day? That man found it pleasurable to kick a kitten, all these other people find it pleasurable to eat animal flesh, what's the difference? Some animal had to suffer for your pleasure. Holy shit I AM a vegan....Damnit...

Hehehe. Careful. It creeps up on ya. I remember my one sister posting something on FB about how she just had to have a hamburger once in a while (something like that, anyway). I told her to pretend it was her cat. Another time, a couple years ago, she was really upset about some indigenous group's fishing tradition resulting in dolphin (porpoise? whale? something fishy) abuse. I don't remember exactly what it was, but her being upset about that irked me a little, and I responded that meateaters in our culture don't have any room to bitch about stuff like that, and that I have more respect for hunters and indigenous groups who kill their own food than I do for...well, you know the drill. I'm really annoying. Have you noticed? :lol:

Our culture is insane. We are disconnected from our food sources. Justifying our consumption of cheap, factory farmed meat and dairy requires twists and leaps in logic that defy gravity, compassion, and sense. :duh: "Common sense" in our culture isn't sense at all, is it? It's more like the result of some kind of weird cult brainwashing. No thinking required.

:mrgreen:
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby MixedGrains » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:51 am

Dissolution wrote:Me: The man that was there has parkinson's, I'm NOT letting him cut my hair again. So I had the woman cut it.
Wife: So you got "boobs in the face"?!
Me: No! She was not large chested.
Wife: So you noticed her tits!?
Me: Doh!

LOL -- I believe that's one of those woman conversations, it doesn't matter what you answer because you're already in trouble and the conversation is simply the punishment.
MixedGrains

Postby carollynne » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:44 pm

Hey, I like Mixed Grains way of explaining it!! Will have to remember that one !!
I must say that after watching Earthlings I feel a bit odd about even seeing the meet on the shelf at Walmart now.
It is as if I need to say a prayer as I am walking by with my cart, quickly too since I am not buying any of it!
carollynne

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals