FREEDOM FROM THE BONDAGE OF SELF

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: FREEDOM FROM THE BONDAGE OF SELF

Postby LoriLynn » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:44 am

KK,

I think it's perhaps time to see your mother in a new light and lower your expectations. Her memory issues are clearly affecting her ability to function and you just need to factor that in when you interact with her. Instead of lamenting how hard it is to cope with, find ways to appreciate the abilities she still has. Enjoy the time together as best as you can. I suspect it's too late to expect improvement, but you can certainly hope to delay any further deterioration and slow it down.

It must have been a struggle keeping your mouth shut with the chicken nuggets. I find myself in similar situations from time to time and since I haven't lost any weight in 9 months, I really don't feel like a reliable advocate for this WOE. But, I am not giving up and when I do eventually get to my goal of being healthy and thin, I am not going to be afraid to speak up.

Thanks for stopping by. Traveling seems to be my unraveling as well. Next trip is July 2nd and I need to get as prepared as I can by then.
LoriLynn

Postby RAS » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:57 am

Haappy Birthday Kkrichar!!!!! Have a great day and blessed year.Really really glad your here.I enjoy your posts and learn a lot from you. RAS
RAS

Postby eri » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:11 am

Double ditto!
eri

Postby JT of PA » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:18 pm

x3 ... Happy Birthday !!!

Glad your back home safe and sound.
JT of PA

Postby kkrichar » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:56 pm

Well, this is awkward. I'm not sure what birthday everyone is referring to but thanks! I love birthdays. I'll celebrate an extra one.

Food is good. I'm trying 2 new recipes tonight. I have family visiting Wednesday and Thursday. I plan to make everyone dinner Wednesday night. One recipe is a barley salad and the other is a pasta salad. I also plan to make black bean burgers, baked "fries", cucumbers and tomatoes from the Farmer's Market and hummus with chopped veggies. Lots of food prep tonight along with house cleaning. I'll be up half the night. Why don't my cats every help out with this stuff?

Anyhoo, gotta hit the Farmer's Market now. Just wanted to pop in and say hi.

HW: 220 lbs BMI=36.3
CW: 162 lbs BMI=26.5
GW: 135 lbs BMI=22.3
kkrichar

Postby RAS » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:36 pm

Your birthday showed up in the todays birthday collum (sp) Check your profile to see if it, is right.Some in the past changed month with date.Anyway know that you are loved very much here!hehehe.
RAS

Postby eri » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:58 pm

Oppps! Heehee.
eri

Postby f1jim » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:11 pm

Everyone needs two birthdays a year!
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby kkrichar » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:26 am

I agree, Jim!

RAS, thanks for pointing that out. The month and day were switched! Now I get to have birthday wishes again a few months!!!

Can't talk now. Running super late. I was up until 11pm cooking and then I couldn't sleep. My house still looks unclean but I'm out of time. The food looks awesome!! I really need to try new recipes more often. It reinvigorates my enthusiasm. I'll come back later and let you know what's in the salads I made and what the fam thought of them.

Have a great day!!

kkrichar

Postby Anna Green » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:48 pm

You Go! You sound just like me when I have visitors.
Anna Green

Postby JT of PA » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:37 am

My wife and I hope all is going well.

Each day that passes is one closer to your special McDougall weekend. :-D

Thank you for the support, inspiration and help you have given by way of your journal.

All the best and know your thought of often.
JT of PA

Postby JT of PA » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:36 am

JT of PA wrote:My wife and I hope all is going well.

Each day that passes is one closer to your special McDougall weekend. :-D

Thank you for the support, inspiration and help you have given by way of your journal.

All the best and know your thought of often.

x2 :-)
JT of PA

Postby kkrichar » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:10 pm

Thanks JT for keeping me in your thoughts. It's good to be remembered.

I just booked my flight for the September ASW yesterday. I'm really excited. I've struggled with food a lot and tried an experiment. It wasn't McD approved and I planned to share it here with lots of caveats but just never got around to posting.

*WARNING* This is NOT the McDougall Plan

Whenever I "fall off the wagon" my mind thinks every single thing is back on the table....meatloaf, hamburgers, cheese, ice cream etc. It's like there's McDougall and there's NOT McDougall and if I'm eat something that's NOT McDougall (and trigger the obsessive thoughts and cravings for more NOT McDougall) I feel like anything is OK.

I was thinking recently about the difference between alcohol and food for me. Why is it that alcohol was permanently taken off the table but certain food items haven't been? I still don't know the answer for sure but I thought I'd practice training my brain that anything non-vegan is permanently off the table. So, should I fall off the McD wagon, non-vegan items are NOT an option. It has helped in that sense. I have eaten off-plan and I have kept it vegan. A few times I even stuck with my regular plan because I wasn't in the mood to drive to the grocery store for another package of Double Stuf Oreos. However, it did nothing for weight loss or the obessive thoughts. I didn't really expect it to. I accomplished what I thought I would but nothing more.

So, now I need to take another step forward. I want to be 100% compliant. I don't know why I haven't accomplished that yet. My favorite race of the year is this weekend and I'm much heavier than I had hoped to be. That will definitely make a difference in my time.

My hope is that booking my flight to ASW will reinvigorate my enthusiasm. No matter what, I'm going to the event and I know I will be inspired while I'm there.

Just moving forward and trying to get as close to the plan as I'm willing to be right now.

That's all for now.

kkrichar

Postby eri » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:09 pm

So good to see you! Enjoy the race!
eri

Postby JohnLarson » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:53 pm

I think it is easy to slip into old habits and thinking. Good job catching yourself and taking action.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals