Nomikins On the Path

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Nomikins On the Path

Postby nomikins » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:57 am

Thanks, Anna, good to talk to you again. I just used about a cup of frozen so-called Asian veggies from kroger. It is a mix of frenchcut greenbeans, mushrooms, onions, broccoli. I'm telling you, it was the shizzle. Any type of veggie would be great.
nomikins

Postby kirstykay » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:21 am

Nomikins,
Glad to hear you are healing so quickly and that you are getting this difficult chapter in your life closed. You are doing amazing! I joined Mike's Holiday excursion, too, so here's to a great journey!!! I love your enthusiasm and positive attitude! :)
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby nomikins » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:56 am

OK, it's gonna be nice out today. So, I think it will be a good day for a walk at lunchtime. YEah.

I'm telecommuting, so during breaks, I have a five pound bag of spuds in the pot (gonna just boil them up and then smash and brown as we go). Also need to replenish the steel cut oats, so making enough for both me and DH for the rest of the week.

Crock pot is ready to go with Italian stewed green beans.

OK, back to work!
nomikins

Postby Loveskale » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:37 am

We just recently got a crock pot and I'm just discovering how wonderful it can be.

What is your recipe for making potatoes in it? It sounds like a great idea.
My recipes are posted at: http://www.Flickr.com/Loveskale
Loveskale

Postby kittyadventures » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:04 pm

Hi Nomikins, Gald your finger is feeling better.
Also so glad you are seeing the end of the tunnel on your FIL's House.
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Postby nomikins » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:48 am

I am cross posting this from Mike T's challenge thread. This is something I've been thinking about with regard to some folks posting about feeling rebellious or resentful about planning in advance. Or really, feeling like they "have" to do something or feel deprived in some way with regard to this WOE.

I see this "resentment," "rebellion," etc., by various people when they feel they "have" to do something. Don't do it if it doesn't work for you. You're a free adult. This is not a punishment.

I'm know I may not expressing myself well, but I'm trying to say that this WOE is a reward, a blessing, a privilege, a prize! My sister, everytime she starts a "diet," is miserable. I tried to introduce her to McDougalling - she LOVES the food when I prepare it. However, she was reduced to tears when she tried on her own because it felt like a punishment to her. I don't get that at all.

This is not a punishment! If you want to eat bread, pasta, or tortillas, then do so! Make it a small part of the meal, not the focus of the meal. Then don't eat it again for a week (or more). If that's what it takes to stay on plan the other 20 meals of the week, then have at it. If you honestly can't control yourself (would you drink alcohol to that excess or do some other drug?) or it's just not appropriate for you right now, then know you can have it at some point in the future, should you choose to do so.

If you do better with a supply of good food in the house but don't like to plan to the forkful what you'll eat in advance, then don't plan. Who cares?! You are still prepared, because you have the right food available.

Folks, this is sooo not rocket science. Rejoice that you are regaining health and a healthy appearance. Focus on the positive. You'll get better results all around. LOVE.
nomikins

Postby Starchyme » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:53 am

Well spoken, Nomikins. Thanks for the inspiration.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby kirstykay » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:20 pm

nomikins wrote:OK, it's gonna be nice out today. So, I think it will be a good day for a walk at lunchtime. YEah.

I'm telecommuting, so during breaks, I have a five pound bag of spuds in the pot (gonna just boil them up and then smash and brown as we go). Also need to replenish the steel cut oats, so making enough for both me and DH for the rest of the week.

Crock pot is ready to go with Italian stewed green beans.

OK, back to work!

Do you have a recipe for your Italian stewed green beans? They sound really good, and I love ideas for my crockpot!!!

kirstykay

Postby nomikins » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:29 pm

Italian Stewed Beans

12 oz bag frozen italian green beans
1 24 oz. box pomi chopped tomatoes
chopped garlic
generous pinch oregano
hot pepper flakes, optional

Put everything in the crockpot and cook on high for about two hours.

Easy!
nomikins

Postby RAS » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:09 pm

That recipe sounds yummy.I take frozen Italian green beans and dry roast them in the oven on parchment paper,until dried but not burnt.They taste like oven frys. RAS
RAS

Postby nomikins » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:45 pm

OOh, that sounds yummy, RAS. What temperature in the oven?
nomikins

Postby kirstykay » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:14 pm

Looks yummy! I be these would be great served over brown rice!

kirstykay

Postby nomikins » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:08 am

I am participating in Mike T's holiday challenge and posting a lot in those two forums. Meals, etc.

Guess who got her butt out for a run today? Yes, yours truly! Two miles; it's a good start. Even with walk/run, I covered the first mile in under 13 minutes. The second mile has a longggggg, gnarly hill and I walk a lot during that. Also, DH was lapping me and stopped to walk and chat before he continued on (that showoff is doing 7 miles today - he's a good runner).

Had a rough day at work yesterday. I soooo wanted to go out for some IPAs after work; at least pick up a six pack (as I was justifying drinking and eating McD food). But, I took a stroll around the office and had a pleasant hallway chat with a coworker and calmed down. I am sticking to not drinking for the month of November!!!

Going to a kiddie birthday party today. Gag me. Don't worry, I won't eat the crap food. Not interested in low quality junk food, never have been. Except cheesy poofs!
nomikins

Postby kittyadventures » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:07 pm

Hi Nomikins, Just wanted to stop by and tell you I have been thinking about what you wrote aboute what I think about how I eat and if going with out junk food is a punishment,

I had to really admit to myself that that is exactly how I was viewing my food, even though really what I eat makes me feel so much better. and when I eat the junk i feel awful.

Anyway thanks for the FOOD for Thought. It was very helpful to me.
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Postby nomikins » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:32 pm

Kitty, I'm glad my words helped you. It's all about the good stuff!

I went to the kid party today. Fortunately, my friends are awesome. They are foster parents to a little boy who turns two this weekend. He has been with them for over a year. My friends are not food or drink pushers; they offer us something to eat or drink, and if we decline, it's not the end of the world. I had a great time socializing with some of their friends that I had not seen in a while, so it was a nice time. DH and I were honestly not tempted by the cupcakes, ice cream or candy. It also helped that we arrived after the main cake and ice cream event.
nomikins

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals