Dissolution's Solution

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Dissolution's Solution

Postby VegSexy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:48 pm

"Ahh, coleslaw. we will enjoy it"

Looking good there, keep it up!!
~VegSexy

A guy has celery sticking out of one ear, lettuce out of the other, and a zucchini up his nose.
He goes to the doctor and asks him what's wrong.
The doctor tells him, "Well, for one thing, you're not eating right."
VegSexy

Postby Melinda » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:19 am

Dissolution, where are you? :D
Melinda

Postby Rosey » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:38 am

Posted pics with his awesome cabbage then then vanished? Oh where oh where did you go?
Rosey

Postby Dissolution » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:11 am

Sorry it's been so long since I've posted. Just been real busy, with work, and home improvements and golf.

Things with the wife haven't been too bad. She did go off pretty bad about my use of onions and peppers in my cooking.

My weight has been steady, I seem to be returning to some of my binge eating habits, but of course I still maintain low fat and vegan, so that's why I'm not gaining weight. Still I've been eating too much white flour for it to be considered McDougall. For example I ate an entire Papa Johns large pizza last night (sauce, onions and mushrooms, only).

The wife has said on several occasions that if I ever weight less than she does, it's going to get ugly around here. So I don't know, maybe I've been subconsciously trying to avoid that.

He's a real kicker. #4's GF, the one with Ulcerative Colitis. Between her condition and medication, she's barely able to function. She's 20 years old, at an ideal weight, former high school track team member, and she can't play an entire round of golf with us. She's had to take so many sick days off from work, they put her back on medical leave.
She's considering taking up cigarette smoking, because she read that smokers don't get U.C. This is the girl who would rather take chemo-therapy level drugs, than try a low fat vegan diet.

Anyways, I'm alive and kicking. Our friends are coming back into town for this coming Labor Day weekend.
Dissolution

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:10 am

Maintenance is an art in itself. Glad you're alive and kicking. :nod:
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby Katydid » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:58 am

Dis,
Tiger posted a link to an explaination of Extinction Bursts the other day that I thought was pure genius. You may find it helpful:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31533

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby carollynne » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:42 pm

Dear Dis, good to know that you are still doing the best you can, like all of us on McDougal-land. Spouses can really make life interesting. I really do pray for yours to come to the realization that for her own health benefits she needs to try this WOE out for a while. That is what my DH is doing. People think that I am forcing him to do this for love.... and really I had to laff, he does not want to admit to having any health issues, and truly it is no one else's business anyway how he or I eat. but oh they give their 2 cents anyway. Talk is cheap, and the proof is in the pudding I say! I had a nice visit with a girlfriend who has put on 50 lbs and here I have taken that much off, and her doctor is worried about her protein and wants her to count calories, and truly it is a laff! No matter what I said, the fat you wear is the fat you wear... or give up the diary and just see what will happen .....she was not going to be listening so I can only back up and smile. oh well, right?

again glad to hear you are doing ok!!

have a good day!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby nomikins » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:02 pm

Hey, it's been a month since you last popped in. What's the latest and greatest?

We all want to know what you did with all that cabbage!
nomikins

Postby Dissolution » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:38 am

Hey Nomkins, and everybody else.

I think tomorrow is my one year anniversary of eating this way.

I've been maintaining very well, just not losing. Too many bread products. Going to start going to the gym again this weekend. Wife's going to be out of town, so it'll be a good time to get back into the swing of things without hearing a lot of bitching about it.

The wife is doing better to some degree, she has cut her half'n'half consumption, she's also eating less meat. She's probably down 20-30 pounds in the past year. So I guess she has benefited from my way of eating.

I have to go, I'll try to post something more profound tomorrow...

Take care all.
Dissolution

Postby nomikins » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:52 am

You're so close! Don't get complacent. I did and regained. Congrats on one year. :)
nomikins

Postby carollynne » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:19 am

HI there Dis, it is amazing how we can influence our spouses, in spite of the resistance to the WOE. So cool, I am happy to hear that all is well and you are not gaining any back. That is a huge victory!! too much bread, ahh, that is one vice I know too well myself.
Really hope that you wife can beat the diabetes oneday!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby JohnLarson » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:24 pm

I had some free time today and read this whole thread from the start. Good stuff. I can say I laughed a few times. It also made me feel not alone in my home situation.

Half way thru, I thought what if your wife did come to this WOE and this web site?

Thank you for sharing your journey with us.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby danmc » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:00 pm

I too spent a day at work reading this journal (I have a very boring, boring, boring...did I mention boring? job...) and was riveted as well. It's like reading a novel where I can't wait to find out what happens at the end. Of course there is no end...so it's an ever evolving, organic novel. You're my favorite non-fictional character! :D
danmc

Postby carollynne » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:00 pm

me too, and I really am praying for your wife, Dis! it would be just so awful if she succumbed to any of the horrific procedures that can be predicted in a diabetes patient. I know some of old sayings, that my mother used to pull out of her hat, like you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make them drink, or fools rush in, where angels fear to tread! or how about this" bit off your nose to spite your face ! My mother had a never ending supply of them, and I believe they served us well growing up too.
I happen to be sitting next to a lovely lady and a state assembly dinner for the daughters of the American Colonists... a few wks ago, and I could not believe my ears, when this lady said to me, she was vegetarian, and was getting a special meal ordered in, and I said, I am vegan, and then she said back, i am too! Now that is a first for me at these events. Her story? She has been diabetic for like 12 or was it 20 yrs, and followed the ADA diet perfectly to a T and never got better, in fact got worse, so she came across that book by a doctor, Neal --and I supplied Barnard!! Couldn't believe that one either! Seh has improved her med levels, CPR # and also lost 35 lbs! a success story. It is the classic story of: if you always do what you always did, then nothing will ever change! Ta- Dah!! She and I ate an apple instead of the choc cake!
carollynne

Postby healthyvegan » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:07 am

We spent the last three nights reading your journal. I read it out loud while Kristin refills my water glass, mouth gets dry from too much laughing. I have to say thank you so much for your amazing and candid journal! I really want to print it off and hand it out to people in my family who behave like your wife (my mom for example). I am most amazed at how quickly you picked up the information, I've been McDougalling for longer than I'd like to admit and the science took a while to sink in.

It took me 3 years to convert my fiancee via being a good example and banning animal products from my house. She just completed the TColin Campbell course, so quite a turn around. (I watched the course over her shoulder and don't think anyone who hangs out here would learn anything new).

Please keep us posted, like just FOK helped you, your journal is most certainly helping others!
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals