Psoriatic Arthritis Journal - 2.5 year Update Page 63

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Psoriatic Arthritis Journal

Postby eri » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:27 am

The new place sounds great! And cheaper, too-- yall must be so excited. Yay for movers! :lol:
eri

Postby lmggallagher » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:36 am

Nicole:

I am so happy to hear that the new move is to a much improved environment and the space itself sounds great too. Well, having the kitties here I dread the sound of coyotes but yeah I guess it's better than sirens.

The coyotes are so bold here it's unbelievable. Last year when I was feeling my very best ever - I took a hike. I thought someone's dog was tagging along with me and then realized I had just walked a quarter mile with a coyote at my heels. It had to take the trail as the blackberry thicket didn't break up until later down the trail. Seriously it had no fear of me at all!

So happy for your new change and how happy and invigorated you sound about it!!!! Happy dancing for you !!!!
lmggallagher

Postby nicoles » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:47 pm

Interesting Post on managing psoriatic arthritis, especially tip #5 "Lose excess weight"

Alternative Treatments for Psoriatic Arthritis wrote:The best way to lose weight is with regular exercise and healthy dietary changes, Dr. Wei says.

For example, adopt a vegan (meat-and-dairy free) diet. Dr. Wei recommends it to his patients because he has found it reduces PA symptoms better than other meal plans. Red meats are the most inflammatory of animal foods, he explains.

(highlights mine)

Verrry Inneressing. :unibrow:
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby nicoles » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:52 pm

Hiya Michelle! Thanks for the happy dance!!

Ya, the coyotes here are out of control and not afraid of people at all.

One was trying to entice us to play fetch with it in Griffith Park last summer, presumably so it could lure us into the brush to be hunted by the pack - I have heard other accounts of this!

Fortunately, our cats are scaredy-city-indoor cats and will never be let out beyond our high, fenced in patio, if they even opt for going there, so I am not too worried about the coyotes for them.

Also - interestingly enough - cats fare better in an encounter with a coyote than a dog will, because they are fast, can climb, and will arch and hiss and intimidate if cornered, which is remarkably effective against those yippers. (Learned this in a coyote informational session at a wildlife sanctuary once)

Happy Thursday!

Nicole

My Journal
nicoles

Postby lmggallagher » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:45 pm

Hey Nicole:

Very cool the PSA link that says you're doing just the right thing :) :)

Coyotes in Griffth Park - trying to entice you into the bushes - oh my!!!!

Should have known you also have kitties. On coyotes - I am not so worried about my scaredy cat cat - Mr. Weasel, but the girl cat Miz Swoozie is for ever introducing herself to dogs in the neighborhood.

I actually met one of best friends because Swoozie ran her tail under the nose of a huge Akita!!! Luckily he'd been raised with a cat since puppyhood! That said, for a Siamese she is built like a very solid little sumo wrestler (more of an Apple Head Siamese than the skinny type) and at the vet it takes two or three vet techs to hold her down for nail clippings sometimes :)

I can't wait for your move to be over - so you can tell us more about the new hood :)
lmggallagher

Postby nicoles » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:30 pm

eri wrote:The new place sounds great! And cheaper, too-- yall must be so excited. Yay for movers! :lol:

Oh hey! Eri I missed your post before-I blame moving brain. Thanks! I am loving the idea of movers. :-D

Michelle-your cat sounds hilarious! Brave little sumo kitty :-D I would be concerned for her too around coyotes.

What we are more worried about is my in-laws little dog. They live away from the city, in an area where a neighbors husky got taken by a mountain lion! You can hear them screaming at night. So chilling!

My Journal
nicoles

Postby lmggallagher » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:12 pm

Nicole -

You had to go and remind me - yep we have Mtn Lions too- I get alerts on my phone frequently dusk and dawn usually that they are out walking our streets. One just camped next to the fence at one of the elementary schools on and off for a week this winter.

I am reminded of the comic of two bears on the fringe of a campsite looking at people sleeping in their sleeping bags and say "appetizers".

I am so glad not to be a carnivore anymore!
lmggallagher

Postby eri » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:21 am

Screaming mountain lions, coyotes...psssht. Y'all are really trying to keep me out of CA, huh? LOL Speaking of which, my mom is in Anaheim this week for work. So jealous! That's sort of near you, right, Nicole?
eri

Postby nicoles » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:39 am

:lol: :lol: Eri! :lol: :lol:

Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh my!! :-D

yes, Anaheim is about 40 miles from where we live! What is your Mom doing in Anaheim - going to Disneyland? :wink:

My Journal
nicoles

Postby lmggallagher » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:54 pm

Heheehe -

Disneyland is where we keep all the animals that are safe for non-locals to see. Like Winnie-the Pooh and Bambi and all :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
lmggallagher

Postby eri » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:33 pm

Haha, yeah , Michelle. Those are the kind of animals I am down to visit...the cute, friendly ones. :lol:

Nicole, my mom is taking a couple of her high school students on some international competition. She sponsors DECA at her school...the marketing club where the kids go to school in the a.m. & leave after lunch to go to work. She said there are chapters from Japan, Germany & some other places.
eri

Postby moonwatcher » Sun May 05, 2013 9:19 pm

HI Nicole,

Just stopping in to catch up a bit--miss you!! Hope you are all settled in.

I really enjoyed this exchange about all the wild animals in human crowded California. I remember the coyotes from my days in Southern Cal. But mountain lions roaming the streets--wow, Michelle. And we think we're something else when a yearling moose comes into town!! :lol: :lol:

xoxo

moonwatcher
Please join me at my new blog Plant-Based Slow Motion Miracle

http://fatfreevegan.com/slowmiracle/

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby lmggallagher » Tue May 07, 2013 12:43 am

Hey Nicole - hope all is going well. Meanwhile we are keeping the page warm with animal tails, tales - or stories :lol: :lol: :lol:

Moonwatcher - EGAD moose are dangerous! I met one once on a trail in Minnesota. It was so much bigger than Bullwinkel. Or maybe bullwinkel was just small because of the little TV I watched him on ;-)
lmggallagher

Postby moonwatcher » Tue May 07, 2013 8:50 am

Well, Nicole, we're sitting on the floor of your room again, spinning tales. . .hope you'll be able to join us soon. . . :)

Michelle, the two yearlings that have come into town have been anything but dangerous. I haven't seen them since I live on the west side but a friend who lives on the east outskirts has. The first one reported so sparked my imagination that I wrote a sonnet about it, which is in the book you ordered. :)

You are right, they can be huge, and aggressive when protecting their young, but this one was young itself. :)

:) xo

moonwatcher
Please join me at my new blog Plant-Based Slow Motion Miracle

http://fatfreevegan.com/slowmiracle/

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby lmggallagher » Tue May 07, 2013 1:26 pm

Moonwatcher - good to know that you have sweet moose :) I think mine was a bull moose and he was sure he had the right-of-way. No arguent from me.

So curious how Nicole and hubby are doing - I will try to be patient. Fat chance that. Hope all is going swimmingly Nicole!
lmggallagher

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals