bunsofaluminum's journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: bunsofaluminum's journal

Postby kittyadventures » Sun May 02, 2010 2:13 pm

HI Buns... HUGs and hoping your prayers lift you out of the doldrums to a happier place... Pray for the Mom too no matter what is said as a reason for commiting the suicide it was not a selfish act but done out of the pain and torment she was in.
I hope the daughter will have someone to talk to. Poor girl.

On a happier note YAY for your wieght loss.. That is great news!
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Postby raven » Sun May 02, 2010 7:13 pm

Hi Heidi, I guess we can't always be happy, but at least when we are sometimes sad, we appreciate the happy moments so much!

My thoughts are with you.
Raven
raven

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue May 04, 2010 7:14 am

I didn't get on here yesterday! duh. But I was good, 100% compliant except for one jelly bean. My dinner last night was SO GOOD. I boiled some whole wheat linguine, and made a sauce for it out of a can of diced tomatoes, oregano and basil, chopped onion, minced garlic, and half an orange bell pepper. It was pretty to look at, and it tasted great! I put on some Parmesan Not Cheese (almonds and nutritional yeast, powdered in a nut grinder :nod good stuff) and enjoyed. Next time, I add zucchini :D

Boiled red potatoes are my new favorite. They really are delicious with horseradish mustard on them. I had some this morning, with steamed brocc. YUM

My schedule at work changed. I went to work with it a certain way, and left for the day with more hours, and an earlier start time each day. :) this is good, but means less relaxed mornings for the most part.

We have had some pretty miserable weather here, but I covered the tomatoes and yesterday had them uncovered and the sun did come out for a little while. I fear I have lost one cucumber. The other one is hanging on by its little torn leaves. I see a baby leaf on that one, so it may recover well.

So, today's eating plan:

B: boiled red pots w/broccoli; ketchup and mustard
L: rice, mixed vegs, spinach
D: remainder of the pots and brocc w/some vegan gravy over it.

I may eat a sweet potato, too. Oooh, maybe the Indian recipe for sweet pot that was in today's paper.

activity: finish cleaning the house. Go grocery shopping in the new WinCo! yay! LOOoooOOOOve WinCo.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby sksamboots » Tue May 04, 2010 9:37 am

Your doing good. Hope your new work schedule is good for you. Keep on keepin on :nod:
sksamboots

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue May 04, 2010 4:05 pm

A very sweet thing happened today. I call this kind of thing a Love Note from God, and this is what happened.

I was in the kitchen at work, with Mr C, who was hyper and restless all day long. When he is hungry, he stays on his feet, pacing, running in the hall, opening and closing doors. That's how he was today, except while he was eating lunch he was quiet. So I was standing in the kitchen while he at his samwich. The sky was absolutely clear, where it had begun this morning gray and cloudy...so I was noticing how pretty it was outside, when a bird began to sing. Oh! such a pretty song. So I looked out the window, and there was wild canary, in the tree right there! singing his heart out! As soon as I noticed him, he flew away.

Like the kestrel or whipporwill or whatever it was flying overhead a couple of weeks ago, who I didn't notice until it whistled a few times, and as soon as i looked up and saw him, he wheeled away. Love Notes! :)

Went to WinCo yayayaaaay! It is just as cool as I remembered. A terrific produce section and a totally wonderful bulk section. Quinoa for $1.62 a lb? 8) My six grain hot cereal, steel cut oats, my rice blend! Figs. Pistachios *blush* I didn't get those BUT I WANTED TO! HA! A wide variety of spices, soup mixes, beans, grains. Candy of every variety. Flours, including buckwheat. Wasabi peas! woot!

The place was crowded, as today is only the second day of operation. This is the first very large warehouse style grocery store in Ogden, so it's gonna be popular. I think a walmart will be going up eventually, but WinCo gets my grocery dollar ...after the discount grocery, though...the prices are extremely competitive w/Walmart, and you bag your own groceries which is one way they save dollars, to offer lower prices. *sigh* I'm happy :)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed May 05, 2010 7:05 am

Looks like a warm sunshiney day coming up. My tomatoes got covered last night, which is good, cuz it was a clear night, which means cold.

Potatoes shall be my starch for the next few days, as I have 10 lbs of red, 10 lbs of russets, and a dozen big baked tatties in the oven. I baked em hot, so they have good, crunchy crusty skins. slurp.

but I ate grain cereal for brekkie. Huh.

B: six grain cereal; sliced strawberries; rice milk
L: baked potatoes w/veggie salsa
D: mashed reds, broccoli, vegan brown gravy
S: baked sweet potato

I'm aiming for 100% compliance today, MWL. I will be at Junk Food Junky's house, though. :roll: that's where the sweet potato will come in real handy.

activity: probably chasing Mr C around again. He was uber restless yesterday. Oh! Mr M will be there...hm...that'll get me active, eh?
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby sksamboots » Wed May 05, 2010 10:49 am

Have a good day :-)
sksamboots

Postby raven » Wed May 05, 2010 8:02 pm

Birds love Heidi... do i see a touch of St. Francis here?

I didn't want to usurp Mrs. Doodlepunk's journal with your questions about banana ice cream, and she is the expert, but i'm writing you here with what's worked for me. My food processor is not very powerful. I chop the bananas up in small pieces, about 1/4 x 1/4th inch. I freeze a serving (2/3 c.) per ziplock bag. They sit in the freezer sometimes for weeks. Then when it's time to make the banana ice cream, i take a bag out of the freezer, take the chunk of chopped banana out, put it on the chopping block, and chop it into a few pieces (it's easy to chop because it isn't a solid frozen mass). That goes into the food processor with whatever else i'm adding, and about 1/4 c. vegan milk. I add the cocoa now, if i'm using it. Whiz, scrape out, and eat! Simple easy!

It is a treat, because the fruit is pureed, so the whole food thing doesn't work. But so much better than real ice cream, and i mean that sincerely - i'd choose it over the dairy stuff now, even if i wasn't vegan.

Enjoy!
Raven
raven

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu May 06, 2010 8:15 pm

Hi Raven, thanks for the tips on banana cream! The 1/4" size makes a lot of sense to me. I'll give it a try that way, next time.

Hey Debbie. Thanks for dropping over :) I think you're doing terrific.

I ended up making a big pot of ratatouille last night, and ate it over some of my baked potatoes. The rest, I ate today for lunch and dinner, over whole wheat linguini. It was really yummy, and I will make another batch. I used half an eggplant, so I can use the other half that way. I also made a potato pile with onion, garlic, mushrooms, zucchini, half an orange pepper, and two baked potatoes cut in triangles. That was for brekkie today. SOOOO good. And I'm having some banana ice cream now at the end of the day.
Oh, i had regular vinaigrette on my salad at lunch today and could NOT believe how greasy it was! I haven't had oil for ages, and that was just icky. blch. I'm still going to be looking for and trying out salad dressings that are creamy, though. I'm tired of 321 dressing, but want to eat salad every day this summer.

Trying on clothes is not as nauseating as it has been in the past. ;) That is, I'm going to the L section, instead of the XL (but not for jackets. Those for some reason are 16-18 and not 12-14 dunno why) ah, but ALL OF IT is much, much better than being in a W22 or 3X or a size 26W jeans...

One thought I've had is, it's time for a real "diet mentality" commitment to MWL or a mini. Like, psyche myself up for it, read the "rules" and follow them religiously with no breaks nor cheats. Maybe even do that whole "I can indulge this weekend, because I'm starting a diet on Monday" (and of course, indulging means eating some trail mix or something like that, not like back in the day and eating every ugly, unhealthy thing I could before starting)

anyway, I'm stuck at 198-200 and VERY tired of it. It is no plateau, it is me not being strict with myself. Maybe a 10 day mini, starting on Monday. :nod: with tatties as my starch. yah!

best of all nights to you, and a wonderful day to you all tomorrow, too.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby lfwfv » Thu May 06, 2010 9:35 pm

Hey Buns,

Have you ever tried eating a head of romaine plain? Might sound crazy but I eat one with almost every meal...no dressing whatsoever. Yum :) I also eat other raw veggies with that...I love them but maybe I'm weird that way.

MWL sounds like a great plan. I always think of it as the anti-addiction plan. You get rid of all the stuff that causes you not to drop excess weight, and you make it totally 'off limits'. I always find that when I really only eat MWL I don't really crave any of the higher-calorie-dense foods.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!
lfwfv
lfwfv

Postby kirstykay » Fri May 07, 2010 7:28 am

Buns,
I'll start a 10 day MM with you on Monday! I was thinking the same thing...just need to re-commit to being ultr-strict with myself. I ate a couple fig newmans yesterday while my fam was having ice cream...not bad, but not really necessary. I was at the point where I didn't "need" any desserty type stuff, but have let it creep in. So, starting Monday, I was planning to get back to basics and, like you, blast through this stuck place I've been hanging out in! Let's do it!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby proverbs31woman » Fri May 07, 2010 1:20 pm

lfwfv wrote:Hey Buns,

Have you ever tried eating a head of romaine plain? Might sound crazy but I eat one with almost every meal...no dressing whatsoever. Yum :) I also eat other raw veggies with that...I love them but maybe I'm weird that way.

I can only wish that I could do this! That's incredible! I'll get there one day!

Buns,

You are doing great! MM is the way to go if you want to lose weight quickly and effortlessly.
proverbs31woman

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sat May 08, 2010 7:34 am

Hi everyone! thanks for all the drop-bys. :)

Kirsty, I'd love to do the MM with you starting Monday. I'll post over on your journal, and we can get it going. :nod:

Well, I did something completely new, which I've never done before because I've always been too large: shopped at Victoria's Secret! Baby, that bra-shopping thing is WAY fun! First time I've been fitted by someone in over 10 years, AND the first bra shopping I've done in at least two years. This is very cool: I am four inches smaller and two cup sizes BIGGER (the push-up bra adds cup sizes, literally! ha!)

I ended up with two bras, and with a new understanding of women who won't buy their bras anywhere but VS. I have boobies! My clothing fits properly! I have a FIGURE :D Well, honestly, the girls HAVE been down around my waist, and those old bras really never fit me right. I just grabbed whatever fit, that looked cute at the time, at the cheapest price in Walmart. They never provided the lift I needed...well, PushUp bra does!

I feel so girly. A bra with lift AND hot purple and pink flowers'll do that for ya, I guess. I got a pale pink lacy one, too.

:unibrow: There's a big birthday celebration today at my mom's, for my son who turned 30 yesterday, and my nephew who turns 16 today...wait'll they see me yah! I've got on a feminine top with a jewel neckline and empire waist with an interesting yoke. And I have a beautiful v-neck sweater that is nicely form fitting, to wear to church tomorrow. Gonna knock some socks off :eek:

Today's Eating:
B: nuked sweet potato; ratatouille soup w/quinoa
L: maybe a Boca burger (since I'm starting seriously on Monday) with loads of salad, and fruit. It's lasagna for lunch, which I won't have. Hm, maybe this ratatouille...hm...
D: ??? maybe sweet pea soup over baked or boiled potatoes?

activity: going for a walk here in a few minutes. Neighborhood prayer walk. :nod:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby kirstykay » Mon May 10, 2010 7:24 am

Buns,
I haven't been on the boards all weekend, too busy. Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day! Hey, congrats on the VS shopping!!!! :-D
Sounds great, I can't wait. I've gotten too many "why are you here?" looks in that store over the years...I haven't even been inside one in sooooo long! To actually go in and get fitted and then buy something that fits perfectly!!! What a milestone! I'm really happy for you...and I'll get there soon, too, I know it!

Hey, how was the big celebration at your mom's???? I hope no one minded leaving without their socks!! :wink:

Well, I'm ready to start my Mary's Mini today. I'm sitting here with my hashbrowns and cabbage (I do use organic ketchup, I hope that's okay) which will be my breakfast of choice for the next 10 days. I will be using potatoes as my main starch with possibly some sweet potatoes added in occasionally. I plan to give up my beloved airpopped popcorn and coffee, which I've been indulging in way too much lately. I'll have oven fries for snacks, and I'm thinking about making a huge pot of veggie soup with potatoes today to eat when I get hungry throughout the week. That's my plan so far. I'm excited to be starting this...How about you?
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue May 11, 2010 5:32 am

Hey Kirsty

You just wait...well, for me, I was surprised when I even had the thought. And I was surprised when the fitting women were approaching me. When I've gone in there a few times before, they haven't spoken to me (not the same service women, but still...) They could see by looking that there were no bras nor undies there that would fit me, so they didn't approach me.

Even to think "hm, I wonder what we'd find, if I were measured" and sure enough! And I had some fun at my mom's. I was cutting up strawberries, and my mom was assembling a lasgna. My dil was in the room, too. I said "You wanna see my bra?" and I flashed em! ha! I was wearing my hot pink and purple flowered bra. Felt SO girly.

Doing fine on the Mini. Forgot to weigh yesterday, so my official start weight for this is 196, which I got today (and it is two lbs down from Saturday 8) ) My main goal in following the mini is to get myself back in the game, mentally. If I am strict with myself for this, it will trickle down to my day-to-day life and keep me from nibbles and tastes of off plan foods.

Saw something that hit me funny. It was a dietician in a magazine or somewhere, recommending more fruits and vegetables. They listed a healthy diet as

Fruits and veggies for vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Just add some protein, and you'll be great.

something like that. I wanted to TALK to that person. I mean, honestly. I wanted to say "Spinach is 17% protein, didja know that?" So when you recommend "protein" I just think "Hm, better eat some spinach" :lol: But it also goes to show how hoodwinked everyone is. They have us completely believing that protein=meat and meat=protein.

ah, well.

and that's it for now. I'm happy about leaving 200 lbs behind FOREVER! WOOT! and I look so shapely and curvy w/my new VS bras on! yay!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals