Dissolution's Solution

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Dissolution's Solution

Postby Dissolution » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:16 am

zippy That sounds like a great meal to me!

Debbie I'm mostly looking forward to the family's reaction to the tofurky, it should be amusing.

Chile You'll have to let us know how the TJ's FauxTurkey is.

Caroveggie I thought it was sweet. She tried to make pumpkin pie for me last night. Used corn tortillas as the crust (smart idea), but she refused to look up a vegan recipe. So she just substituted soy milk for regular milk and added a commercial egg replacement I picked up a couple of weeks ago. The pies never set, they are more like puddings. They would probably still taste good, but I think she tries to over compensate with spices on my stuff, and she added so much clove to the pumpkin that it makes your tongue numb as soon as you taste it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy Thanksgiving Everybody!
Dissolution

Postby fulenn » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:18 am

Hope you have a great day! At least you aren't being called "goat" any longer and you will have something to eat. If the tofurky isn't any good, eat a piece of pie first, then you won't notice. :D I do the same thing with pumpkin pie, subbing soy milk and EnerG egg replacer for the original things, but I also dissolve some arrowroot powder in the soy milk to help firm things up a bit. My family doesn't seem to care either way, they either eat a slice or a bowlful. LOL

Seriously, I'm glad she seems to be reaching out a bit.

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby Debbie » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:26 pm

Anxiously waiting to hear how it all went and what you thought of the tofurkey.

Hope you had a good day.
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby Chile » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:32 pm

Trader Joe's Turkeyless Roast wasn't bad. My MIL liked it better than the grain-based Celebration Roast while my DH didn't like it as well. I thought it was pretty good. In a toss-up, I'd likely choose it over the Celebration Roast as the latter has a sausage-flavored stuffing I've never really cared for. I can't pass judgement on TJ's gravy from the package as we didn't open it. As usual, I made way too much of my own gravy recipe so I just left the gravy packet with my MIL.
Chile

Postby carollynne » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:02 pm

HI Dis, Hey it all is sounding better, if you ask me!! It is a big concession for her to try cooking more and more for you. But I am admire you for cooking for yourself and losing the wt and getting off of meds, and feeling so good. Never give up on yourself. You are getting so healthy and more healthy, and that should actually be a source of her pride in you, never anger, as you are a miracle walking around in plain sight!!

I think it is cool!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby carollynne » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:10 pm

Dis, I forgot to mention that my Dh had some of my oldest sister's traditional turkey feast and did not like it he said, and I told him, his taste buds were changing that is why... I had a ton of greens, quinoa, and a great sweet potato with apple dish. turkey does not appeal to me at all, but I do not expect others to do like me, but my sister was very good about it all, and calls me a miracle with how my liver has been cured of the NAFLD and I am not going to change how I eat . let someone try to make me!! I don't mean to sound confrontational, but this is a personal decision for health reasons, and I would be crazy to go back !! and they all know it!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby LoriLynn » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:07 pm

It sounds like your wife is starting to realize that this is permanent rather than just a phase. She has tried real hard to force you back into being "normal", but now a new normal seems to be settling in.

I'd still be on guard as this time of year is fraught with family squabbles and confrontations. Keep a low profile and be sure to lavish appreciation on her efforts without drawing too much attention to it. Any positive reinforcement you can provide may offset the dent her pride must be taking.

Keep on focusing on yourself. You are doing great! :D
LoriLynn

Postby carollynne » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:34 pm

HI again to Dis, I must say I agree with LoriLynn. The holiday season if truly a time of family confrontations and jealousies and finger p;ointing and nit picking too. Keep at it and the rewards are so cool. Healthy, good digestion and clear thinking, tons of energy when the old folks need to rest you can keep going!!
and to Lori Lynn, congrats on your wt loss!!
carollynne

Postby Dissolution » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:51 pm

fulenn Found out she replaced soy milk 1-for-1 with evaporated milk. The pies did sit eventually, probably would have been quicker if she had used less soy milk.

Debbie I think it went well.

Chile Good to know, if I make it near a TJ's before Christmas I might have to pick one up.

carollynne Her claim is that she cooks for me on holidays to keep me out of the kitchen, but she really does seem to be making an extra effort now.

Last year I was afraid to eat any turkey, because I was afraid of a meat eating slippery slope. This year I didn't eat any because I don't want to, and it's quite unappealing.

I must admit I was smiling while everyone was suffering the ill effects of their fat ladened holiday meal, while I was no tired and feeling great.

LoriLynn I can tell she still doesn't agree with my change in eating habits, but I think she has resigned herself that I'm not going to be forced or pressured into switching. I'm sure she's still holding out that this is a phase, or that I will "go back to normal" once I've reached a goal weight.

What she doesn't seem to understand is that I REALLY enjoy eating this way. Even during the course of the past few months where my weight loss has been negligible, I never once thought of going back to my old ways.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't get to see the Tofurky before it went into the oven, but my wife said it looked like an elephant turd. When it was served, it looked like a small version of the kind of processed turkey you would get slices cut off of in a deli. But by then the kids had seized on the elephant dung comment and started picking on me about it. The wife felt very bad she had kind of started it, and apologized.

I was planning on having the Tofurky, mashed potatoes, peas with onions and mushrooms, rolls, cranberry relish and sauce. What I was not expecting was the no fat vegan gravy the wife made (vegetable broth and flour). It was excellent and really helped the Tofurky to not be so dry. I thanked her many times and was able to get two more meals out of my left-overs. I also made sure she knew that I had finished off EVERYTHING she had prepared for me, and that it was greatly appreciated. In contrast we will be trowing away several pounds of traditional food that did not get eaten around here.

I'll probably post again in the morning, just wanted to give a quick update.
Dissolution

Postby LauraA » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:02 pm

Hi Dissolution and all. I haven't posted here in quite awhile, and I just checked in to see how you are doing. I know what you mean about enjoying feeling great after the Thanksgiving meal. I just had veggies with potatoes, and they were wonderful. My daughter in law cooked three things that were totally perfect for me. Everyone else spent a good while complaining about how full they felt, almost sick etc. It almost reminded me of people with hangovers! Also, the next day my husband mentioned that we really, really needed to exercise a lot. I just said that I ate just like I always do, even though it was Thanksgiving!
Also, I'm glad that your wife made an effort to cook something for you!
Take care, LauraA

"ON PLAN, AND PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"
Letha
LauraA

Postby Debbie » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:55 pm

Hmm, well Ive seen elephant poop and Ive seen a before cooked tofurkey and I do not recall any similarities. :lol:

Well Im glad they all enjoyed their assbread while you enjoyed your elephant poop. ;-) Sounds like this year went miles better than last year.

PS I used a PG version of your assbread with my kid after she dissed my vegan low fat crock pot stuffing by saying she liked the way the other was cooked way better. I got offended since I "slaved" away all day cooking a healthy Thanksgiving dinner while very sick. So I told her all about butt bread. :lol: She wasnt amused. I was. :unibrow:
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby Dissolution » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:54 am

LauraA Sounds like you had a great Thanksgiving.

Debbie Damnit, I forgot about my assbread comment, oh well, it's just as well, the wife would have been very offended. Seems like everything goes smoother as long as I'm on the receiving of the jokes. Of course at some point in the future, when we're having an argument, she'll accuse me of being arrogant, or having a superior attitude.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I forgot to mention that she also prepared two dishes of sweet potatoes, one for me and one for her, nobody else eats them. They were frozen sweet potatoes and just tasted awful. I ate a couple of tiny pieces, the wife didn't touch hers. I later looked at the ingredients, I think I know why the tasted so horrible.

Schwan's Roasted Sweet Potatoes: SWEET POTATOES, EVAPORATED CANE JUICE. CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF THE FOLLOWING: CANOLA OIL, SEA SALT, MALTODEXTRIN, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, ANHYDROUS MILKFAT, NATURAL FLAVOR, ENZYME MODIFIED BUTTERFAT, DISODIUM DIHYDROGEN PYROPHOSPHATE (TO PROMOTE COLOR RETENTION). CONTAINS: MILK

This should be criminal, who would do this to a sweet potato?!

The wife is preparing for her Christmas baking project. She bought 30+ Lbs of chocolate, 35 Lbs of flour, 30 Lbs of sugar, and lots of other ingredients. It's going to be a tough few weeks. She has promised to not ask me to bag of the chex mix for her this year, and to make it while I'm at work. We'll see how that promise holds up when the dead-line gets closer.

The later part of December should be extra fun. We are paying to fly my BiL in from Wisconsin for the holidays, since this is the first year without their Mother. My BiL is a "man's man" He hunts, he fishes, he uses a CPAP machine at night, he has hernias so bad you can see them bulging underneath his T-shirts, he can't walk up stairs without getting winded, but he eats meat by God.

I was around him a little bit for the funeral earlier this year, but the house was so full and meal times so hectic that I don't think he noticed my diet. It will surely be interesting to see what he has to say about it now. Should at least provide for some entertainment.

Oh yeah, we're paying for the ticket because he can't pass his physical to renew his CDL (truck driver).

Happy Tuesday all!
Dissolution

Postby Lesliec1 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:03 am

Seems like everything goes smoother as long as I'm on the receiving of the jokes.

Haha, yes but just look at it this way: You are taking the high road; Being the better person.

She bought 30+ Lbs of chocolate, 35 Lbs of flour, 30 Lbs of sugar, and lots of other ingredients.

Goodness, who is she feeding? I admit that I used to do the ridiculous cookie baking thing. Giving to neighbors and co-workers. But then I got the clue that nobody wants that crap! Even most SAD eating people at least try to watch their weight. Eventually, I stopped the baking madness but it took a while. I still bake too much crap for my family at Xmas. I guess it's still my old way of showing affection. Stupid though.

It will surely be interesting to see what he has to say about it now. Should at least provide for some entertainment.

The anticipation of this would completely freak me out but you seem to really take these things in stride with a sense of humor. Can't wait to hear.
Lesliec1

Postby peasouper » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:46 am

It sounds like you had a good Thanksgiving Dis. I am glad things seem to be calmer at your house.

Its likely to be an interesting Christmas with your Brother in Law. Perhaps seeing how you eat might make all the difference to him. He sounds to be in really poor health. Your story might be the best Christmas present he ever had.

I look forward to see what happens! As ever, your journal is so interesting!

Sue
peasouper

Postby carollynne » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:24 am

HI again, well your wife is nutty for sure, all that choc for candies, cookies and she is very very diabetic?? Must have a death wish I guess.
I do know what you mean about the receiving end of the
good- natured joking comments.
It seems that the one doing the joking always has a super low esteem and can only feel good, it they dish it out! My mom used to say this one too: well he or she can dish it out, but just can't take it!! You are a doll to put up with it, but no doubt you are just choosing your battles carefully, aren't you?
Really hope all is well, and can resist all that candy and cookies in the house. She is not doing any of her family/friends any favors by doing this for them, but it is very very traditional to do it anyway.
Cheer up, the best it yet to come to you, and you are setting a great example for all the family too. Would love to be in the room when you BIL sees you and your shining new self!! bounding up those stairs and he can barely make it up and a CPAP machine to sleep, he must be in bad shape then!
carollynne

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals