Hamster's Treadmill

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby toadfood » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:54 pm

Rock on, Hamster! Congratulations on the weight loss and the "stretched" pants!

I have to stay with my turtle energy. Slow and steady wins the race. -- Letha
toadfood

Miss you

Postby Jan » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:55 pm

Hamster, where are you? Hope you're doing OK and staying on plan. Our Fall is just hours away. Is Spring springing down there? :-o
Jan

Eating my way to slim and healthy
Jan

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:03 am

Hey hamster

Today, I'm using your trick of seeing an on/off switch in my brain. It feels like a "cheating" day already this morning. Gotta be proactive...

but!!! with my plans on creating some Indian cuisine, learning Indian recipes and techniques this month, and shopping for the spices I'll need for that venture, I may find myself "nibbling" on foods that are on plan.

oooh...better turn it off...LOL

thanks for the great idea!

Heidi
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Ege Bamyasi » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:48 am

Hey Hamster, buddy? Are you okay?

I'm really missing your presence here. Even though I'm not on as much myself, you are one of the posters whose input I'm always searching out. I hope things are still good with you. You are missed by many, and I hope you'll be posting again soon.
Ege Bamyasi

Postby Tina » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:49 pm

Hi Hamster. How are you doing? We miss you here. Do check back in soon. :)
"Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." Albert Einstein
Tina

Postby LauraA » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:36 am

Hi Hamster - I sent you a private message hoping that you are still around. I wanted to wish you a Happy Birthday, since we have the same birthday, and the 4th comes sooner where you are than it does here. Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

"ON PLAN, AND PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"
Letha
LauraA

Re: Hamster's Treadmill

Postby Hamster » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:35 pm

Gentle reader,

Those of you who have been here for awhile and have a loooooooong memory might remember me. Anyway, my weight two years was 184 pounds but has now snuck up to 211 pounds. This, of course is due entirely to poor food choices :( .

The good thing is that my fitness has improved :) and despite the weight gain. When I was here last I was just getting into cycling, now I’m doing a 30 km per day commute plus some extra kilometres on the weekends.

The way to shed the weight is by getting the diet sorted.
Maximum weight 128.5 kg
Minimum weight 83.0 kg
Weight after falling off the wagon 95.9 kg
Current weight 92.8 kg (and falling)

When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells
Hamster

Postby Ege Bamyasi » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:01 am

Last edited by Ege Bamyasi on Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ege Bamyasi

Postby Rosey » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:57 am

Welcome back.
Rosey

Postby simoncat » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:35 am

Yeah, Hamster!! Good work!

Outside of just the pus in milk, I read that cows usually live to be 20 years old, but factory cows only live about 6 years and around their 5th year, can barely walk. :cry:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/whvr8sU/]
[/url]
simoncat

Postby Hamster » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:29 pm

Gentle reader,

Really not much to report since yesterday, I rode my bike home from the station and then rode it back this morning. The early morning view across Moreton Bay is a little like this.

http://redchamber.org.au/home/digital-camera/

When I’m a little more organized I’ll take a series of pictures and make them available.

The railways here provide bike lockers, basically a lockable metal box large enough to hold a bike. Apart from a $50 refundable deposit for the key it’s free! The ride is 15 kms each way and takes me around 45 minutes. I started riding to the station about a year ago, but then it was ride a day, miss a day sort of thing. About 6 months ago I decided to ride everyday, regardless of the weather. I’ve missed a few days through illness but I guess that that’s ok.

At 95.9 kg I’ve really got to drop at least 10 kg and possibly even 15 kg and the only way to achieve that is through diet. A good exercise program combined with a crap diet equals weight gain :-( .

My current theory is that provided I eliminate the garbage food then weight loss should follow. Here goes :) .

I’ve always been interested in cycling but I’ve got much deeper into it over the past couple of years. Just curious but would a series of brief articles about how to choose the type of bike to buy, where to buy it, how to set it up etc be of interest?
Maximum weight 128.5 kg
Minimum weight 83.0 kg

When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells
Hamster

Postby Rosey » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:23 pm

Hamster wrote:The railways here provide bike lockers, basically a lockable metal box large enough to hold a bike. Apart from a $50 refundable deposit for the key it’s free!

We have those here but ours have it so we can put our own locks on them. Only problem with ours is that my Townie Electra is to tall for them unless I loosen my handle bars and fold them down. I tend to just use the other lock ups because of that.
Rosey

Postby Ege Bamyasi » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:26 pm

Last edited by Ege Bamyasi on Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ege Bamyasi

Postby Rosey » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:29 pm

Ege Bamyasi wrote:I used to be totally bicycle-dependent years ago. Various schools and jobs required me to pedal as much as 12 miles one way, and I loved it.

I don't know if I could bike in traffic now due to the lingering problems in my shoulders, but I love stationary cycling indoors also and that doesn't involve the arms like steering a regular bike.

Still, I am in favor of any information you would want to provide because you never know who it may help. :)

I was having issues with my shoulders and hands till I got my Townie it puts your arms in better position.
Rosey

Postby Hamster » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:58 pm

I was having issues with my shoulders and hands till I got my Townie it puts your arms in better position.

I’ve never had sore shoulders from cycling but I have had problems with my hands going numb. The basic problem is that alloy-framed bikes are very stiff. They have to be because aluminium is a very soft metal so bike has to be made with fat, thick-walled tubing.

The main solution is to concentrate upon your riding posture, this link might be interesting

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/pain.html

Other things to consider are has the bike been set-up properly. Things to consider are seat height, seat angle, forward and back seat adjustment, and handlebar height. These are all adjustable and make a huge difference.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

A good pair of cycling gloves with gel-padding also helps.

My road bike came with a carbon front fork and a carbon seat post. These helped but I’ve also replaced the original handlebar stem and handlebars with carbon ones. Carbon is more flexible than alloy and thus gives a smoother ride.

More expensive solutions could be buying a bike with front suspension which takes up most of the bumps. You could also buy a carbon-framed bike which will cost a lot of dollars and brings with it other problems or you could buy a steel-framed bike both of these give a smoother ride.
Maximum weight 128.5 kg
Minimum weight 83.0 kg

Hamster

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals