Psoriatic Arthritis Journal 2- Equation for Change

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Psoriatic Arthritis Journal 2- Equation for Change

Postby blue » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:45 am

Wow Nicole I am so pleased to see that you are still doing well, healing, and getting stronger still, the longer you stick with it. Really an inspiration.

I took a peek at your portraits and to say I am impressed is an understatement ! What beautiful work you do! :D
Success using WFPB diet to avoid steroid treatment for polymyalgia rheumatica. I don't hurt anymore :)
blue

Postby nicoles » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:39 pm

Hi Roundcoconut, you social butterfly, you! Yah, that cookie butter thing I just don't get!

Hiya Jamietwo! Hope you had a good walk the other day - oops - week!

Beth, so true, I could not have done even a portion of what I am doing now. I feel very grateful and blessed.

Hey Blue! So nice to hear from you!!!!

Thanks y'all for stopping by!

Further Update

Things are still busy here - a bit too busy for my taste at this point, but that won't last forever. One cat we have needs surgery - she's at the vet right now having it - and i had a week of doing extra care and clean up for her that added to the mess o' life. Then, due to increased local gang activity in adjacent neighborhoods spreading out, we we had a tire slashing and someone sawed off and stole the catalytic converter on our new car. MIL went back to the ER Sunday after a weekend of all the siblings (and me) getting together to help plan their future - they need to move to an assisted living place or something soon, and The Huzz is at his busiest time yet, working all day and night and weekends for weeks so most of this is on me.

I don't say any of this to complain - it's all just the way life is at times. However, I DO say all this to point out that I am still doing well. I am a bit tired at the end of each day, but that is it. It just keeps getting better, the food really does help.

Another element to the update - seems that as I get older while eating this way, my cycles get easier and more regular. I have zero pain from cramps and my PMS is maybe a couple of hours long. After a lifetime of irregularly timed cycles, mine follow a 28-29 day pattern. Who'd a thunk it?!?!?

Happy Thursday!

Nicole
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby tessa » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:32 pm

:-) :-) :-)
tessa

Postby sksamboots » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:43 am

Thats great about your cycle! Gives me hope :nod:
sksamboots

Postby nicoles » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:11 pm

HI Tessa and Sksamboots! Thanks for stopping by :-D

I listen to a lot of podcasts while I work (painting) and a few of them are "alternative health" types I found a few years ago when they were all promoting eating pretty much plant based.

Well, seems the tide has turned! Nothing about plant based, everything about Paleo! Inescapable! :eek: I am glad they emphasize eating lots of vegetables and low-to-no iunk, at least.

But I did learn about a book called "Diet Cults" by Matt Fitzgerald that sounded pretty interesting. He's not a scientist or anything, but I am curious about it.

Still doing well. Very tired this week, but because of life circumstances beyond my health. I can rest starting NOW :D

Happy Friday!

My Journal
nicoles

Postby sksamboots » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:54 pm

I like to listen to Chef AJ's teleclasses and watch Youtube videos from other plant based diet. I get it!! :nod:
sksamboots

Postby GlennR » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:24 am

I was going to wait to do my elimination diet until I was closer to my goal weight but as I seem to be going downhill with both plaque lesions and my psoriatic arthritis pain I'm starting to think I may move my schedule up a little sooner. I've read through your success story and noticed you didn't do the elimination diet until after six months or so. Do you think it was important to be thorougly in the groove with this way of eating before attempting the elimination diet or do you think jumping right in is okay?
Glenn
GlennR

Postby nicoles » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:00 pm

GlennR wrote:I was going to wait to do my elimination diet until I was closer to my goal weight but as I seem to be going downhill with both plaque lesions and my psoriatic arthritis pain I'm starting to think I may move my schedule up a little sooner. I've read through your success story and noticed you didn't do the elimination diet until after six months or so. Do you think it was important to be thorougly in the groove with this way of eating before attempting the elimination diet or do you think jumping right in is okay?

Hi Glenn,

If I had it to do over again, I would have started right in with the elimination diet, since it worked so well for me. I would have gotten out of pain that much quicker! However, reading your journal, you seem to be doing excellently on the regular plan, and find it easy to stick to. The Elimination Diet can make sticking to eating this way harder, so you might want to weigh that in with your other considerations.

One way to have the best of both worlds is to just eliminate one "suspect" food group at a time. Start with one of the major plant -based culprits: wheat, soy, corn, nightshades, citrus and tree nuts - and then see what happens, and continue to go through each at a time.

One thing that is happening quite well for you is weight loss - congratulations!! When I lost weight, I would experience an uptick in various symptoms, including pain and small amounts of psoriasis. My guess is that there were substances stored in my fat that I was reacting to, think I read about that somewhere from either Dr Klaper or Dr Fuhrman...anyway...losing weight might possibly be in and of itself contributing to the pain and lesions, too.

Either way, best of luck! It's exiting to see you doing so well already :-D

Cheers!

Nicole

My Journal
nicoles

Postby sksamboots » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:20 pm

Keep it up! :nod:
sksamboots

Postby nicoles » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:50 pm

Thanks, Boots! :-D

Two interesting articles.

One on two compound pinpointed that show promising results in autoimmune disease. Of course they are looking to make drugs out of them, but interestingly, they naturally result from fasting and intense exercise, which IMHO are both free. Very interesting.

Another in The Atlantic about the connection between the microbiome, certain imbalances within in, and autoimmune disease. not new news to me, but fascinating.

My pet theory is that this WOE changes the microbiome, among doing other things, all of which positively impact autoimmunity.

My Journal
nicoles

Postby nicoles » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:48 pm

Just found out an old friend died today. We had lost touch, but only through the circumstances of me moving across the country.

Hitting me hard.

:-(

My Journal
nicoles

Postby sksamboots » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:53 pm

Awe, I'm sorry for your loss. Take lots of time to take care of you
sksamboots

Postby MSNomad » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:34 pm

So sorry to hear this, Nicole. Be sure to be extra gentle with yourself, and take care.
I have a blog about traveling well with MS: MSNomad's blog
You can also "like" me on Facebook: MSNomad's FB page
I also keep a journal here on the Discussion Boards: MSNomad's journal
MSNomad

Postby nicoles » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:47 pm

Thanks MSNomad and Sksamboots :)

My Journal
nicoles

Postby lmggallagher » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:35 pm

So sorry to hear that someone you care about has departed- but never from our memories. Savor the fact of having known them and be gentile with yourself while you are feeling the loss.

((((Hugs)))) - Michelle
lmggallagher

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals