bunsofaluminum's journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: bunsofaluminum's journal

Postby sksamboots » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:18 pm

Hope you have a good day :nod:
sksamboots

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:28 am

good morning. I just read Raven's journal...she isn't going to be posting in hers anymore here :( makes me sad.

Also, I am exhausted from a cough that has been ongoing for five weeks. Why I put off going to the dr as long as I did, I don't know, but I'm not happy with myself. I'm sicker than I needed to be, and the doc put me on prednisone which is making me edgy, nervous, irritable, and overall icky. I'm coughing so hard, I'm incontinent. Yes, peeing my pants. This has me sort of depressed. Did I destroy my health, and will I have to deal with asthma and depends the rest of my life? I turn 50 this year, and that's too young, especially when my weight is dropping, I look great, should feel fantastic.

waaaa.

I ate some rich food yesterday. That is, I made a bowl of rice and beans, and put two TBSP of guacamole on it. Had seconds. It tasted really good! Otherwise, I ate sanely.

Today's Plan:

B: ??? (prednisone makes me not care about food AT ALL)
L: potato salad and greens maybe?
D: saute'd green beans, yellow squash, onion, garlic over some starch or other.

activity: deep clean the house; practice my piano; yard work? maybe.

It is a sunshiny day, which I love! I gonna spend time outside for sure.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Birdy » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:55 pm

Gosh Buns, I'm sorry to read you're still not feeling well. Am going on vacation to visit my famiy and won't be online this next week, but will be thinking about you. Your pansies sound so beautiful. I haven't been to Ogden, but have been to Logan and it's really beautiful. Take care.
"The program is essentially cost and risk free." ~ Dr. John McDougall
Birdy

Postby sksamboots » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:21 pm

Eeeek, that sounds awful. I hope you get it figured out..Maybe you should email Dr. Mcdougall? Feel better :-)
sksamboots

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:32 pm

Aaaaah...

What a day. Well, what an overnighter at my mom's house, and THEN what a day! I drove down to SLC yesterday evening and spent the night with my mom, dil, grandkids, and my son when he got home from work. My little baby Nadia angel sweety poo pie...she's eight months old and SUCH a sweet dolly!

Aidan, my seven year old g-kid, is letting his hair grow out and it is HUGE. I mean, he has HUMONGOUS hair! It's very thick, has a cowlick in front, a little bit of curl, and it's all over the place! it isn't even very long, just...BIG.

We slept over in SLC, because our church group volunteered at the 5th south underpass for feeding the homeless. That meant getting up and being there by 7:00, which we did...it was wonderful! It is a family run operation called King Ranch Chuckwagon, a Christian group that started fixing and giving away a decent breakfast to homeless people, 25 years ago. No strings attached.

They haul everything they need in a big trailer: tables, stoves, grills, buckets, utensils, pots and pans, propane tanks, PA system, food. Everything needed to make food, serve food, and clean up afterward. It's all made from scratch. Today's meal was pancakes, scrambled eggs, sausage, mashed potatoes, gravy, salad, chopped apples, cake, bread. Over 250 plates were served, and a few clam-shells piled with food were given for people to take along.

They put me to work starting about 7:30, chopping onions, and I was at it still at 11:30, with clean up. A VERY good experience! Though, standing too near the truck with the generator running, I got some of the exhaust fumes which wasn't much fun. This damn cough. I plan on doing that once a month :nod: It was a Very Good Thing. And! did you notice the vegs and fruits on the menu? I ate mashed potatoes, apples, and salad for a very nice moderately almost McDougall meal (there was dressing on the salad NOT McD friendly, but tasty)

then, more hang time w/my wee ones, and a potluck for lunch. I made Quinoa Salad with Lime Cilantro Dressing. it's in the recipe forum, under "clickable recipes--non-MWL" ...not MWL because of avocado, and very delicious. I wish I was hungry right now, cuz I'd eat some! ha!

and I'm pretty much wiped out. a good day. a long day. a joyful day.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby ncyg46 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:17 pm

i need to find something to do like that...I am getting bored here in the heat! :D
ncyg46

Postby afreespirit » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:06 am

Sorry to hear this about the prednisone. Hope the problem resolves soon. :|
afreespirit

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:26 am

ha! HA!

I lost THREE POUNDS this past week! woot! Isn't it funny how the body works.

I was stuck at 200 lbs for the longest time, and went on a ten day mini in...April, was it? Or the beginning of May? I don't remember, but it wasn't that long ago. Didn't lose anything in 10 days, but ate very low fat, 100% compliant, no cheating at all.

Then, went back to MWL or even regular McD, and one week later, I had lost a pound. Lost a pound the following week, and this past week, even though I've eaten hummus and some nuts, and avocado in a couple of different dishes...the pounds DROPPED from me. I think that 10 day mini jolted my metabolism.

Maybe getting stuck at 200 lbs was my body's last ditch effort to keep the fat on...after all, I've weighed more than 200 lbs since high school, and the fat I now have on me, I've had on me for DECADES. But eating super simple, zero added fat, potatoes and greens for ten days did something.

:D I was surprised to see the scale down that many lbs, that's for sure! but delighted :nod:

Today's Plan:

B: quinoa salad w/lime cilantro dressing
L: spring rolls (making em at work)
S: nuked sweet potato
D: ratatouille over rice
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby kirstykay » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:32 am

Buns,
I just spent some time catching up on your journal...so sorry to hear about your cough!! I hope you feel better soon!

On the other hand, I'm SOOOOO happy to hear about your 3 pound weight release!!!!! You have really stuck with it! It's exciting to see your body catch up with you! I know it was frustrating to not lose after the 10 day mini, but you didn't get discouraged, and now look at you!!!! I'm so proud of you, and excited!

I have only lost .5 pounds for the last 2 weeks, and I think my body is catching up with the weight I lost on the mini!! :lol: It's like it's saying whoa, hold on a minute there, missy! Slow down!!! I was getting a little frustrated, but reading your journal helped me keep it all in perspective! Thanks! You inspire me. :)
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby mtns » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:10 pm

congradulations on the weight loss. I am so excited for you. I will keep you in my prayers about your cough.
Kathy
mtns

Postby seestorcoo » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:48 pm

Woohoo! Congrats on passing that number!
If you are going to doubt something, doubt your limits.
seestorcoo

Postby raven » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:16 pm

Gee, Heidi, this cough just won't let go. It can't just be from incense, not this long. Asthma? Good grief! You do lead a somewhat stressful life, which it is my understanding is one thing that brings it on, but nothing newly stressful has happened lately, has it?

Anyway, all my best wishes and hopes and good thoughts to you that you can resolve this health crisis and feel good again!

Your bouncy energy helps so many people. I wish i could help you.

Take care.
Raven
raven

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:08 am

raven wrote:Gee, Heidi, this cough just won't let go. It can't just be from incense, not this long. Asthma? Good grief! You do lead a somewhat stressful life, which it is my understanding is one thing that brings it on, but nothing newly stressful has happened lately, has it?

Anyway, all my best wishes and hopes and good thoughts to you that you can resolve this health crisis and feel good again!

Your bouncy energy helps so many people. I wish i could help you.

Take care.
Raven

I don't think my life is stressful, actually. Busy, some days. But I am generally at peace with myself and God, and with the people in my life. I don't think it was stress that brought this on, or that is making it drag out. I think I inhaled smoke, severely irritating my lungs, and gave myself bronchitis. The doc called it "asthma induced bronchitis" ... I have always been sensitive to perfumes and exhaust fumes, to the point that I try to avoid the laundry aisle at the grocery store, shut the vent in my vehicle when in traffic, if a vehicle is idling, I stay away from it, etc. I haven't coughed like this, though. This is a first, for sure. But, if it's possible to get pneumonia from aspirating saliva, coming out of surgery...it must be possible to give yourself bronchitis from inhaling incense smoke.

At this point, I wish I could take a week off and get some real rest. Though I do have inner peace and stress isn't a huge factor in my emotions, physically I'm pretty tired. That comes, at least in part, from having to go to work every day, even though I have a bad lung condition. :duh:

:( now I feel sorry for myself! sheesh.

Grateful for summer weather. Grateful that I live in a land where there is time for play (we took the clients to a splash pad yesterday and had a BLAST!) Grateful for clear, clean sparkling water, for funny excited clients, for chatty, hilarious co-workers. Grateful for broccoli salad that I found cheap at the discount store (a kit for making it...it is what's for lunch today) and for healthy kids and a car that runs.

and now, I gotta run! go get Miss H, and then grab Big M too.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby CathyB » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:58 am

Congrats on the three pounds! That is fabulous! Sorry to hear you are not feeling to well though. Get better soon!
~*~Cathy~*
restart on 9/2/12

CathyB

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:11 am

Hi Kathy

thanks for dropping by. It's always encouraging to have "company"

I was feeling pretty bad by the end of my day yesterday. Achy, and exhausted. So, I called in for work. I will only go get clients, and a co-worker will take some of my hours. I get to go home as soon as she arrives, either at 10 or at noon. And am planning on resting, praying, and clearing the kitchen sink.

When I woke up, I felt more rested, but now two hours later am feeling sorta wiped out again. It's raining, and down weather makes me sleepy. Plus...I just do need to rest. It's been more than a year since I took any time off.

Eating is good, though. Oh...I had M&M's yesterday at Junk Food Client's house :|

B: quinoa with ratatouille
L: ??? maybe baked sweet potato and salad
D: homemade hummus and corn tortillas; fresh cucumber salad

S: grapes :D bought some on the way home yesterday. mmmm yummy.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals