Dissolution's Solution

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Dissolution's Solution

Postby wildgoose » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:03 pm

Dis, the recipe for oat squares that I started with was here
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17214

I used 3 bananas and made some changes to the spices
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon vanilla

I did not use the applesauce.

I baked for 50 minutes, so the squares would be chewier.

I cut the 8 x 8 panful into 16 squares. It's a better serving for me than cutting it into 8 bars.

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby Dissolution » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:37 am

wildgoose Thanks for the recipe!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know a lot of people are against weighing yourself everyday. And probably for the exact reason I'm experiencing now, frustration.
Here's how the weekend went.

Friday
Food: 1531
Exercise: 1158
Net: 373

Saturday
Weight: 208.4
Food: 1783
Exercise: 483
Net: 1300

Sunday
Weight: 209.6
Food: 1754
Exercise: 500
Net: 1254

Monday
Weight: 210

Since I'm in complaining mode, and my cardiologist has been no help at all. My blood pressure has been driving me crazy. If I stay on my medicine and don't exercise my BP is fine. I knew I was going to be walking a golf course on Friday, so Thursday night I did not take my BP medicine. I got light headed (pretty sure caused by super low BP) several times, but not as bad as the week before. Did not take BP medicine Friday night, cause BP still on the low side at medicine time.

Saturday I went and did 45 minutes of cardio at the gym, plus walked around a flea market at a pretty brisk pace (I didn't count that in any calories burned, that's just living). An hour or two after gym, BP still running on the low side. Saturday night fingers turn kinda white, sure enough check BP and it's high.

Now I don't know if it works this way for everybody, but as my BP goes higher, my pulse goes lower, and I think that's what causes my fingers to turn white. Think my stats were 147/110 Pulse 54. So I took my BP medicine.

Sunday and it's golf time again. #2 son walking, #4 son driving cart. I decide to put my clubs in cart and walk. I made it about 10 holes before I had to start riding some due to being light headed.

Sunday night BP is on the low side. No BP medicine. This morning BP was 107/64 pulse 71. My theory had been, if I exercised enough every day I could stay off the BP medicine, but Saturday put a hole in that.

Are cardiologist considered to be the blood pressure experts in the medical field?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is funny, was checking email this morning. Amazon seems to think I'm a medical student or something. They sent me thins book suggestion along with a bunch of others.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ref=pe_296590_29082130_pe_b2/?ASIN=1846284600
Dissolution

Postby scooterpie » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:13 am

I think a really good internist who understands the mechanism of how the different pharmaceuticals work to lower BP would be helpful (if I were you). By the same token, you could talk to a pharmacist where you get your prescription filled and let them know what's happening and then you can present it to your dr.

Just throwing something out there:-)
scooterpie

Postby LoriLynn » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:45 pm

I use myfitnesspal too. I notice that when I am logging and tracking what I eat, I tend to lose weight. I hate doing it, but I've got to be diligent if I am to get these last 43 pounds off. What has really been helping me these past few weeks is to forcibly stop myself eating when I still want more. I notice that my stomach is satisfied. It's just that I want to keep eating. I really can get by on a lot less food and if I am being honest with myself, I am not that hungry. I just broke through my plateau of more than 6 months.

I think it's exciting that you are only 1 pound away from exiting the land of obesity. I am now starting to do the math in my head and I think I only have 23 pounds to exit the land of "overweight". I am pushing really hard to break that barrier in the next few months.

If you or anyone reading this uses myftinesspal, feel free to look me up and add me as a friend. My user name is pangui.
LoriLynn

Postby Dissolution » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:19 am

scooterpie I guess I need to find an internist. This is just getting too weird.

LoriLynn I'm dissolution68 if anybody wants to add me. I don't know what to think about my results of tracking. I guess maybe it's shown me that I wasn't consuming more calories than I thought.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monday
Weight: 210
Food: 1489
Exercise: 0
Net: 1489

Tuesday:
Weight 211 <---- ?!?!?!

I just don't understand. I should be 487 calories under my daily goal of 1510 for the last three days, but I've put on 2.6 pounds. I've just been assuming that for the last several months I was over-eating.

I was watching a TV special about calories restriction, alternate day fasting, and longevity. It was funny how they danced around the subject of being plant based, kinda of like, everyone knows it would be the best, but just not possible to do. Anyways, they had this one man on the show, he was 135 pounds and they considered him a calorie restrictor. He consumed 1900 calories a day....Big deal...lol

Still confused about BP. I haven't taken Lisinopril since Saturday. BP this morning was 92/59 with a pulse of 73. Last night I got a reading of 117/71 with a pulse of 57. Which is fine, as long as I'm not having white finger symptoms.
Dissolution

Postby carollynne » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:22 am

hi Dis, how are you today? I think your blood pressure is great! I wish I had those readings too. I also need to eat less... but I do stick to the right foods anyway. my husband is not exactly supportive but that is the way of life. I have a great #1 sons who is very very supportive and is leading the way here. don't get overly hung up on the numbers games just feel healthy and be active. Notice how you feel when you eat what you consider to be too much food. I can, and then I do some of that self talk about dopamine and addictive sensors too.
Why aren't you getting any of your walking exercise in ? I noticed that the exercise is 0 and just wondered why?
Have a good day!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby Katydid » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:31 am

Dis, your weight gain is may be due to drug (or more likely lack-of-drug interactions). Are you taking the straight lisinopril, or Zestoretic (lisinopril and hydrochlorothiazide)? If you have removed the diuretic too, you may simply be having some water-weight gain. Clearly you can't be gaining fat on 1400 calories a day. That's what I eat to maintain my weight :lol: . Have you noticed any signs of water bloating such as swollen ankles or tight shoes?
Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby Dissolution » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:59 am

carollynne I've been having some back problems, so I've been trying to take it easy on the exercise.

Norm Yes, makes sense.

Katydid Good call on the Hydrochlorothiazide, but mine was always prescribed separately.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's been almost three weeks since I posted, and things were a little weird. I was really frustrated that last day I posted, and decided to have a binge day, and go back to tracking on Tuesday. The problem was, I couldn't stop. For the next 7 or 8 days I ate like mad, off plan stuff too. No meat, but lots of trail mix, candy bars, I even ate doritos once. One evening I stepped on the scale and it read 224, I was shocked, but I was having so much trouble controlling my eating.

Then I think I figured it out. I had gone to the doctor that Monday because of this Dyshidrotic Dermatitis problem I've been having with my hands, and they prescribed a steroid cream. I checked, and didn't see any side effects like I had experienced, but as soon as I stopped using it, my appetite returned to normal.

I've been trying to take things easy and let my back heal, although I'm really not sure how I hurt it, it's pretty much been a continuation of the back pain I developed in January, at the same time and them skin problem on my hands.

So on the weight front, I'm back down into the 207-208 range. I haven't exercised at all in the past several weeks. No golf, no gym, just a little yard work.

Blood pressure seems to be running 120/70 in the evening and 90/60 in the mornings. Which is great, until I go to the gym I bet.

The wife got back into town last weekend. Her brother (the one from Christmas) will be staying with us for a couple of months. Oh joy. He loves to argue and debate, the wife has asked me not to use facts because it makes him look stupid.....Yes, you read that right. She actually said that.

During one of our "debates" he asked me if I was so smart, why didn't I invent a perpetual motion machine. I think my jaw actually fell open. I tried to explain why this was impossible, without actually mentioning the laws of thermodynamics. He then countered with two of his own designs, the best being an electric motor running a generator that generates the power for the motor.

Oh well, happy Monday!
Dissolution

Postby JohnLarson » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:13 am

Glad you are back posting.

I like the motor running a generator idea, does he have a patent on that? Why ruin a good conversation with facts?

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby Wild4Stars » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:13 am

Norm wrote:
2. Once I realize I'm dealing with an idiot I cease arguing with them. There is no point.

-Norm

One of my favorite quotes - "I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person."
"If your lifestyle doesn't control your body, your body will eventually control your lifestyle." Ern Baxter
Wild4Stars

Postby didi » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:47 pm

Dis, have you seen a physical therapist for your back pain? I am a PT
junkie because on three occasions they have returned me to fully functioning. Mostly the therapy involves strengthening muscles. As an aside, a friend of mine had back pain which turned out to be a kidney stone.

didi
didi

Postby carollynne » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:05 pm

Wild4stars, I love that quote myself.
Dis, seriously it is great hearing from you again, glad you are ok, and that home life is ok. Sort of, but you are a smart guy, you will know what to do IMHO.
Good luck and let us know how your wt is coming down too. You have done great!!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby Dissolution » Tue May 28, 2013 6:55 am

Well, it hasn't been a fun year so far. Between my back problems and this dyshidrosis eczema, I haven't been nearly as active as I would like. Also I think I just plain eat more, when I don't feel good. I'm also more likely to eat off plan when I feel bad, I think it's an instinctual urge.

My dim witted BiL may have actually figured my back problem out. He suggested it was my shoes. I discounted it at first, because the shoes I was wearing to work, I have purchased in November. Then I remembered I wasn't wearing them everyday until middle of January. So I stopped wearing them and my back has been much better.

The hand eczema kept getting worse. The wife was actually bandaging them every night with an antibiotic cream. It seemed to help heal some of the damage, but didn't seem to stop new blisters from forming.

I had a very stressful week before last at work, and my hands got really bad. They hurt all the time. I was having to put of work gloves to do almost anything, even bringing in the groceries. So finally I made an appointment with a dermatologist, for last Monday.

I had to take our Yorkie-Poo into the vet to get spayed early Monday, and I needed to buy something from the store before I returned home. I skipped my regular breakfast and grabbed a couple of bagels at the store.

That entire previous week I had been averaging 15-20 new blisters per hand per day. I got to my appointment and only had about 5 per hand. The dermatologist diagnosed me with dyshidrosis eczema, but she gave me a steroid shot, and prescribed another topical. I explained my diet to her and asked if this was in some way diet related. She assured me it wasn't. I even explained my super low cholesterol, and she said it wasn't related. She did tell me it was an autoimmune disease. Which as most of you know, after you've hung out around here long enough, autoimmune means "can control with diet" for lots of stuff.

That evening my hands seemed better, but by the next morning, any improvement seemed to be lost. I had about 15 new blisters per hand. I decided to do some more research into dyshidrosis eczema, and stumbled onto some information about a nickel allergy.

http://medicalcenter.osu.edu/mediaroom/releases/Pages/Nickel-Food-Allergies.aspx

When you look up a list of high nickel foods, it reads like a menu of what I eat, oatmeal, beans, chickpeas, brown ice. Sometimes green leafys were listed and sometimes not. Fortunately there seems to be a fix. A low dose Vitamin-C tablet taken with meals can bind with the nickel and allow it to pass through harmlessly.

Since last Wednesday I have not eaten oatmeal, which is pretty much what I've eaten for breakfast for the past 18 months. I've also started taking a 250 mg Vitamin-C with meals. I haven't had a single new blister since! My hands a healing very nicely.

Happy Tuesday all!
Dissolution

Postby Lesliec1 » Tue May 28, 2013 7:06 am

OMG, I'm so glad you posted that. My stubborn immune disease is slow (understatement) to be cured by this WOE. I eat oatmeal every day, among other thing son the list. Yikes, I will investigate a nickel allergy.

Also, it seems like removing all those items on the list leaves you with almost the exact diet that Burgess does.

Keep us posted on your hands. You have had a tough year!

Pretty cool you figured out the shoe thing too.

(Ever need to consider a career change? Hint: Detective!)
Lesliec1

Postby Chile » Tue May 28, 2013 8:29 am

Hm, very interesting about the nickel allergy stuff. I definitely react to wearing any metals with nickel. I don't have any rashes but would hate to develop something as a result of healthy eating.

Did you notice the comment in his article about nickel being released from stainless steel pans? After reading Dr. Barnard's most recent book, I got rid of my cast iron skillet due to the iron released when cooking with it. (He says links to Alzheimer's from iron.) And ... I replaced it with a stainless steel skillet. Sigh. Now what do I do?!
Chile

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals