Anna's Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Anna's Journal

Postby SilverDollar123 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:27 pm

Hi Anna! (((hugs))) Glad you are back. Please don't stop coming back.We are a caring group. RAS
SilverDollar123

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:48 pm

Hi Anna! So glad to see your post! Isn't is something, how much better it "feels" mentally and emotionally to eat this way? I'm glad you're hanging in there.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby VegSeekingFit » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:20 pm

Wishing the best to you and your daughter as you work through this. You both sound strong and courageous -- glad that you have a WOE that promotes health in all aspects.
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby Anna Green » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:44 pm

RAS, Buns and Veg! Thanks so much. I do miss being here. It's a blessing for sure. I'm doing well food wise. I was so excited today because I went to an Asian market and they had a table with the cheap imperfect stuff. I got bags full of fruit and veggies for a dollar each....2 1/2 lbs or so of broccoli for example for a dollar and a bag of taro root and a bag of papaya and 4 lbs of potatoes for a buck. Money is really tight right now because my girl is struggling and had to quit her job so she could be home and focus on treatment. I pay her bills with some help from my sis and mother. So when I walked away with enough veggies for about 2 weeks for about $48 I was so happy. This included things like fresh dill and 2 bunches of cilantro, Japanese sweet potatoes, red and green peppers, kale, green leaf lettuce, 2 kinds of beans, and much more. I hit the jackpot. I'm sure some of it will last into the third week. I plan to make a good bit in the next couple of weeks... green salads, stirfry, split pea and veg soup, spring rolls, taro salad, butter beans and greens. I also plan to make a broth powder and a veg feta for my sister and tahini for my girl. Maybe a pimento cheeze for her too. She needs more calories than I so I try to make some hearty things for her.

We had our annual PIT this past week when we survey every person without a home that we can find on the street and in shelters. This involves long days. I am tired. I do the training and this involves speaking in front of alot of people. This year was especially difficult because of my anxiety. I frequently have crying jags that I can't control. So I wasn't sure I could do the training without making a spectacle of myself. I did it though. And then I led a team into the French Qtr for surveys until wee hours for 2 days. I am pleased with myself I have to say for dealing. I didn't do my old habit at 2am of hitting a fast food place on the way home. I thought about it but just couldn't. One night I went home and made myself some hashbrown tacos. I love that we can eat starch and know that it is giving us health. I feel so grateful. And was I satisfied and happy!

That's all I got.
Anna Green

Postby Anna Green » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:17 pm

I'm feeling guilty. My twin is having that weight loss surgery and I can't stop it. He listened to me for a little while and tried to eat starch and veggies but gave up. I think if I had been a better example.....

I went for a long brisk walk today to get exercise and sun and it felt so good. Did a little calisthenics as well. I'm working hard on my anxiety and depression because I need to be there for my kid and because it's painful. I'm making progress. Also going to therapy with a former teacher of mine. I was watching Dr M interviewing Dr. Ornish and Dr. Ornish talked about a holistic approach to health. I agreed with him...the food is the basis but it's not all there is to it.

I did some cooking....butter beans and veggie soup, split pea and veg soup, taro salad (not so sure about this but I'll eat it anyway), brown rice and amaranth and baked white and sweet potatoes. Actually did some cleaning too. My sis and I take before and after pics when we actually clean to send to each other. Lame I know but it amuses us.

It's amazing the difference I feel in my anxiety levels when eating well. I remember years ago when I was doing so my friend said i wasn't as beechy which happens when I'm anxious.
Anna Green

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:47 am

Anna Green wrote:RAS, Buns and Veg! Thanks so much. I do miss being here. It's a blessing for sure. I'm doing well food wise. I was so excited today because I went to an Asian market and they had a table with the cheap imperfect stuff. I got bags full of fruit and veggies for a dollar each....2 1/2 lbs or so of broccoli for example for a dollar and a bag of taro root and a bag of papaya and 4 lbs of potatoes for a buck. Money is really tight right now because my girl is struggling and had to quit her job so she could be home and focus on treatment. I pay her bills with some help from my sis and mother. So when I walked away with enough veggies for about 2 weeks for about $48 I was so happy. This included things like fresh dill and 2 bunches of cilantro, Japanese sweet potatoes, red and green peppers, kale, green leaf lettuce, 2 kinds of beans, and much more. I hit the jackpot. I'm sure some of it will last into the third week. I plan to make a good bit in the next couple of weeks... green salads, stirfry, split pea and veg soup, spring rolls, taro salad, butter beans and greens. I also plan to make a broth powder and a veg feta for my sister and tahini for my girl. Maybe a pimento cheeze for her too. She needs more calories than I so I try to make some hearty things for her.

We had our annual PIT this past week when we survey every person without a home that we can find on the street and in shelters. This involves long days. I am tired. I do the training and this involves speaking in front of alot of people. This year was especially difficult because of my anxiety. I frequently have crying jags that I can't control. So I wasn't sure I could do the training without making a spectacle of myself. I did it though. And then I led a team into the French Qtr for surveys until wee hours for 2 days. I am pleased with myself I have to say for dealing. I didn't do my old habit at 2am of hitting a fast food place on the way home. I thought about it but just couldn't. One night I went home and made myself some hashbrown tacos. I love that we can eat starch and know that it is giving us health. I feel so grateful. And was I satisfied and happy!

That's all I got.

Wow, you really cashed in at the grocery store! A huge haul for the price! well done! I like this hashbrown taco idea. How is it made? Sounds scrumptious...hashbrowns are so delicious.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Anna Green » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:18 pm

Buns, I mix frozen hashbrowns (or occasionally ones I make myself out of already cooked but cold potatoes) and mix with seasoning...onion and garlic powder, cumin, smoked paprika, chipotle powder, chili powder. Then I air fry but you you could do in oven too , till crispy. I heat some corn tortillas and then stuff em with salsa, greens, cilantro, sometimes beans, sometimes a little guac, sometimes sauerkraut (love the dill and garlic raw in the refrig section of store). So so so delish!

I posted a few days back accidentally in someone else's journal. :roll: I was embarrassed. Glad I caught it. Can't remember what I said now. I'm doing well though. I'm eating well. It's helping. I ate those butter beans and split pea soup and all the stuff I made this past week. I'm laying off the junk. Sometimes I have a bit too much avo or seeds/nuts but even that I'm pretty good about. I'm not losing weight fast but I'm ok with that. BP much better. Stomach good. Plan to make some more food tomorrow. Not sure yet what but it will include red soup for my girl as she calls tomato based veg soup. Maybe a potato salad too. I was disappointed with my taro salad and couldn't get all the way through it. I tried. Don't like wasting food but I'm moving on. I'm bored with this post. I guess that's good. Not too much drama. I'll leave with a funny. My coworker goes in the bathroom after me and asks if she should be worried because I had been in there a minute. I said maybe. She came out later and said my poop didn't stink. Best evidence I'm eating well, eh? :-D
Anna Green

Postby Anna Green » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:19 pm

This is the best day I've had in a long time. Feeling energetic and just content. My dtr is making progress too and I am so pleased. I was walking today and just realized how good I felt. Looking forward to parading this year and can't wait for Krewe du Vieux and St Ann's parade on Mardi Gras Day. I remember when I just felt so achy all over after walking a couple miles and hanging on the street for a couple of hours and even though I'm still fat I know it won't be a problem. And by Mardi Gras I'll be a few lbs even lighter so I won't have to carry that around. Small stuff to some but I am celebrating each improvement because it keeps me focused on that and not seeking pleasure from the stuff that drags me down.

Really not into cooking today but I think I'll make the soup to use up veggies in the fridge. Plan on doing a Mommytang meal this week with lettuce, rice, gochujang sauce and some garbanzos and perhaps a stir fry so I'll make rice. Will bake some potatoes for fries and make a salad. I've got the stuff for savory oats. Simple and quick meals this week and I'll enjoy them.
Anna Green

Postby Anna Green » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:17 pm

Made a rookie mistake today...well almost. Didn't pack enough starch. Had veggie soup with a little bean and corn in it but not enough. I think I was trying to hurry this thing up...lose weight fast if I had really thought about my motive. So I'm sitting at my desk and I'm huuungry and I know all I have is that soup. Then I start thinking about taco hell. Then I'm like oh hell no crazy. So I go to the closest Chinese Restaurant and I buy the big thing of steamed rice and put my soup over a pile of rice like a smart McDougaller does. :-D

It's all good.
Anna Green

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:33 pm

Anna Green wrote:Made a rookie mistake today...well almost. Didn't pack enough starch. Had veggie soup with a little bean and corn in it but not enough. I think I was trying to hurry this thing up...lose weight fast if I had really thought about my motive. So I'm sitting at my desk and I'm huuungry and I know all I have is that soup. Then I start thinking about taco hell. Then I'm like oh hell no crazy. So I go to the closest Chinese Restaurant and I buy the big thing of steamed rice and put my soup over a pile of rice like a smart McDougaller does. :-D

It's all good.

Oh how clever! I will remember this, because there's a Chinese restaurant near my work. Great idea!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby moonlight » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:30 pm

Anna Green wrote:Made a rookie mistake today...well almost. Didn't pack enough starch. Had veggie soup with a little bean and corn in it but not enough. I think I was trying to hurry this thing up...lose weight fast if I had really thought about my motive. So I'm sitting at my desk and I'm huuungry and I know all I have is that soup. Then I start thinking about taco hell. Then I'm like oh hell no crazy. So I go to the closest Chinese Restaurant and I buy the big thing of steamed rice and put my soup over a pile of rice like a smart McDougaller does. :-D

It's all good.

I love this! Way to go! You are a smart McDougaller!!
moonlight

Postby Idgie » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:29 pm

Anna, you're my hero! Way to think on your feet!

Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby Anna Green » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:05 pm

y'all are so sweet. Sometimes I am a smart McDougaller. I don't really have alot to say. I'm very into this McDougalling. I feel better. Not losing weight as fast as I'd like but that's ok. I've been exercising...doing something each day mostly even if it's just a walk. I just made a Sorghum salad with a Berbere peanut (pb2 and regular peanut butter), cukes, tomatoes and such. It's good. Mostly I want my girl to eat it but I'll put a little on my greens. Plan on making some butter beans and greens.

my bp is continuing to get better. I've cut back on coffee, alcohol, salt, and whole foods that are high in fat. My mood is better and my energy is up. My girl is healing and that helps. We both are in therapy and dealing with our stuff. I sometimes mediate. I've even been enjoying my stressful job more of the time. We are planning an employment fair for lgbtq folk experiencing homelessness or recently in housing. We are also doing some focus groups to get more info about what we need to do better. I'm also working with students to pull together a youth action board. It's all good stuff. It makes all the difference in my anxiety levels and just basic enjoyment of life when I eat the good food.
Anna Green

Postby Anna Green » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:56 am

I'm laughing at my bad self. So I told myself I'd clean today. And I will do the nastiest stuff. But I keep seeing recipes I want to try. And this is the thing. I am a brat to the core and spoiled. The change I have made is not that I've given up my bad self but that I have just changed tbe bad behaviour like instead of eating poboys and using my healthy energy to clean the nasty house I'm just gonna make another compliant recipe I really don't need and dirty more dishes. Now I do have a little altruism...I like feeding people and will make things I think they will like to help them with various health issues. But really I'm just forever immature and bratty. I'd invite whoever may read this to eat my food but the house is dirty. Sorry.
Anna Green

Postby annagreen » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:07 pm

It was so nice to come here looking for something and see my journal still here and the journals of others I know. This was such an important tool for me for so long. I miss it. Not much has changed with me. Always fighting (or not) to be healthy. I think if I hadn't learned the McDougall way I would not be in as good of shape as I am...not that it's where I need to be. As always I go through spurts of doing well and then not. In March I stopped going to work after a couple of very difficult years and some scary events. I have resigned and am interviewing for other work after about 20 years of working with folks living outside. I may continue to work in this area but will do so in a hopefully much healthier environment. When I quit I felt so bad emotionally that it scared me so I started eating very very healthfully. I knew it would help me feel better and it has. This way of eating helps with anxiety and depression for sure. In the past it's been not wanting to be on bp meds or some other health issue that has gotten me headed straight but I always come back to it needs to be my life goals that gets me there. Sometimes it does. After the first year of covid, my brother dying and me supervising the staff we hired to work at a hotel we rented to get people off the street and then into housing I was motivated because I wanted to hike and did. I was brave then and did some ten mile hikes and a good bit of camping by myself. The second year of covid, a hurricane and four hotels later wiped it out of me...but not forever. I am feeling that itch again. Have been eating well and planning for the woods when it cools a bit. French fries will only make me fatter and sluggish and that won't get me up the hills so starch and veggies it is. Didn't plan to post here...was really just looking for info...but I'm glad I came. I'll have to head over to other journals and catch up.
annagreen

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals