Anna's Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby SandraK » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:19 pm

Anna, I , too, don't like to post the bad stuff I eat (or the contents of work's candy bar drawer) because every time I re-read it, I'll start my Pavlovian drooling and have to fight the craving again. It's hard!! I do have smoker friends who remark how tolerant I am (as a non-smoker) but I obviously understand knowing that something can be bad for my health and doing it anyway! Hey, maybe when I get control of this (surely my only) vice - I can afford to be a bit more judgemental.
Hang in there!
SandraK

Postby Anna Green » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:12 pm

Sandra and Melinda, thanks so much for your support. Just a short while ago had no idea this was available, that someone would actually read my neurotic ramblings and offer helpful feedback and I am grateful. It is invaluable.
Anna Green

Postby Anna Green » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:55 am

Ok, I had to post this morn because I thought I lost weight last week, and now I know I "released" 3 lbs. I finally decided to get a scale a jlittle over a week ago and this morn was happy I had one. Something really fun about seeing those numbers go down especially since it is difficult to see it in the mirror each time I lose a few pounds.
Anna Green

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:20 am

"Released" - I love that term. Wish I could remember where I read that, I'm sure it was on this board somewhere. Losing weight implies I'm looking for it and want it back! 8)
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby Anna Green » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:55 pm

Ms. Doodlepunk, Today I don't want it back, the pounds that is, and I am hoping the crazy in my head doesn't want it back ever. Today was a struggle but I made it and read the temptation thread and will not go out for SAD food in the next fifteen minutes before I go to bed. :-)

B-peach and plum
S- small soy decaf latte no sugar added
L- Spinach/arugula salad, veggie and lentil soup and small red potato then later McDougall black bean cup of soup.
S-a little fruit and raw veggies
S-2 spelt pretzels
D-veggie and lentil soup-added some peas and then another bowl w/ eggplant
Anna Green

Looks like a pretty successful day...

Postby f1jim » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:46 pm

But get to bed!!! No sneaking out on my watch!
I have eating binges at night. I eat only the healthy stuff so not a problem but I can see looking back.when I binged late at night I probably consumed as many calories in a couple hours as I did the rest of the day! Eating SAD that can ruin you.
f1jim
f1jim

Re: Looks like a pretty successful day...

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:24 am

f1jim wrote:when I binged late at night I probably consumed as many calories in a couple hours as I did the rest of the day! Eating SAD that can ruin you.
f1jim

That's what I love about this way of eating. If you need to eat, you can and it doesn't hurt you. No guilt, it feels like freedom to me.

The Eat and Be Happy plan.
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby Anna Green » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:39 am

Jim, you are so funny. Thanks. Ms Doodlepunk, you are right and I sure did put away a lot of food yesterday but not too many calories which I am trying not to count and getting better about letting go. This is freeing. You are so right. You know, I don't have anyone in my life to share this stuff with except you guys and I'll keep saying how happy I am to have found you. My friends and family, none who live with my son and I but share all kinds of things with me. The details of trying to get over this addiction and change to a new way of life, however would probably be one they would do under duress. They wouldn't get it. They'd say, "couldn't we put just a little oil?" or "you ate bad last week, how about just this one time?" So glad to be here and looking forward to another day of the McDougall way. :-D
Anna Green

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:59 am

I know just what you mean about sharing stuff here that others don't understand.

I've kept track of food over a week or so on Fitday, and can see that it all evens out. On days that I eat 2000 calories, it is made up for on other days when I eat closer to 1000. It averages out to around 1200 most of the time on MWL.

I've been meaning to ask you how you use seasonings in your food. I have lately started liking some of the Creole seasonings and tried some in rice and bean dishes. I have never had real Creole or other New Orleans style food, you know, the SAD stuff, so that is probably good! Anyway, what are some of your favorite things that you eat?
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby Anna Green » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:59 pm

Ms. Doodlepunk, I too am trying to figure out how to do my mama's cookin with no fat, no seafood, and no animal. I do like to cook red beans and rice especially for a Monday. I do it different every time but some of the stuff I put in is: bay leaf, onion, bellpepper, garlic, celery, parsley, liquid smoke, red pepper, tabasco, vegan Worcestershire (weird I know), oregano, thyme. You could look for some cajun/creole seasoning mix. You can put some of the onion, bellp, garlic, celery in the pot when you start cooking, some midway, and some toward the end. A friend taught me this saying it gives different flavor for the same ingredient at different lengths of cooking and she makes some awesome beans. I hope that made sense. Don't be shy with the seasoning. Cook the beans till creamy or you can mash some of them. My aunt used to add some grated carrot. The only real consistency in cooking throughout my family is that the food is well seasoned. I also like cooking collard, turnip and mustard greens in veggie broth. Use a lot of garlic, if you like some onion though I don't, some red pepper flakes and liquid smoke. Cook them till they fall apart, put them in a bowl with some of the pot liquor and then top with corn bread. Everyone has their own way of doing it. I made some herb gumbo not that long ago but as usual did not pay attention to what I put in it. I know I made a roux. You know you don't have to have fat to make a roux. The flour can be toasted in a dry pot- watch it, stir. It still gives some good thickening and a little flavor. My brother did not use roux, he just thickened with file and okra. So I will have to try again. I am sure this is not different from your cooking.

Good day eating, hard work day. Talked myself down from eating SAD. I am so glad because if I hadn't I would have not had my taco salad inspired by Sandra.

Morning: 1 1/2 peaches, apple, bowl of veggie, lentil soup
Afternoon: 2 red potatoes, arugula
Evening: bowl of veggie lentil soup w/ shroons added, taco salad with microwaved tortillas-3 and spinach, spicy black beans, salsa, nutr. yeast
Anna Green

Postby Anna Green » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:23 pm

Ok so I did a new workout tape this morning. Afterwards I was very amused with myself, thought I did good and for future reference I came up with a list to check to know if I did a good workout.

1. I slip on my own sweat
2. The cats run frantically from the room as the limbs fly about.
3. I have to wash the pits 2x afterwards
4. I could charge admission.
5. I have a moment afterwards in which I think I am smaller or stronger (little hallucination from shock that I am exercising I am sure).

Morning - peach, kombucha, 5 spelt pretzels
Afternoon - 2 veggie brown rice sushi rolls, udon noodle soup, tempura (5 pieces including 2 shrimp- yeah I know, not justifying but a small slip for me.)
Dinner- lots of raw broccoli and red bell pepper, curried brown rice and veggies- broc, brussel sp., broc, corn, peas, shroons, cabbage, green beansno oil cause I made em. Figured I better get my butt home and make something good to avoid further infractions to my health.

You know what is awesome about this board is that when I tell people to stop doggin themselves I then can't do it to myself too much because I feel like a hypocrite. So I ain't doin it this eve and I feel great and really motivated to take care of myself. In the past it would have been fried chicken tonight. Something is changing other than soon I will have to get some clothes because mine are hanging on me.
Anna Green

Anna

Postby seestorcoo » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:32 pm

You crack me up. Always fun to read your journal. So, I am fortunate enough to live in a city that has a "vegan mini-mall" and there I saw a book that I have not yet bought but you might be interested in. In fact, why don't YOU buy it and let me know how it goes :P

Vegan Soul Kitchen by Carl Calleman and David Wilcox.

I'm sure it has lots of oil and margarine but I think the recipes could probably be modified and there is surely some cajun food in there. My father lived in N.O. before I was born and so whenever he fixed me food, it was jambalaya or red beans and rice. I think I made my own first jambalaya when I was about 12. Nowadays, I put a TON of vegies in my red beans and rice - squash, celery, greens, corn - and it tastes even better than it used to. Plus, I don't have to feel guilty about it. Granted, there is no roux involved. And, I wonder if you used crab seasoning, would things taste more crabby without the actual crab? I've been a bit crabby myself lately but thats another story.

Have a good day!
If you are going to doubt something, doubt your limits.
seestorcoo

Anna

Postby seestorcoo » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:22 pm

If you are going to doubt something, doubt your limits.
seestorcoo

Postby Anna Green » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:15 pm

Seestorcoo, That recipe looks good. I may just do that and let you know. I am not too crazy about putting in the crab boil but since it is so little it may be good. You got me to thinking about some jambalaya as well. What do you put in yours? I have a plan for getting some good food. You see as I look healthier my buds are going to want to know what I am doing. If I can just convert one who can cook, well there it is. That plan worked at least for one friend when I went vegan-really strict for a long while. My mother now will cook vegan for my kid really, but lets me have some too. :) If I can just get her to let go of the oil, woo hoo. You know the weird thing is that I am the one who cooks at my Sunday dinners and those fool friends of mine actually eat the stuff and come back for more. Of course I am always late dishing it up so by the time they eat they have knocked back a few drinks and are really hungry. It works.

As far as my journal I just think if I am gonna be wacked then I oughta be entertained by it right? That's another lesson I'd like to pass on to the boy- laugh at the crazies in your head. I am glad you enjoy it because I still can't believe kind people as yourself are willing to read this stuff and help me. :cool:
Anna Green

Postby Ege Bamyasi » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:56 pm

You write from the heart and have a very entertaining style! The more people like you this community has, the stronger it becomes.

One comment you recently made which I totally agree with is that spice = good. :-D My wife isn't very big on hot, spice foods although she doesn't mind lots of garlic and the "tamer" spices. I just do what Dr. McDougall did in the "McDougall Made Irresistible" DVD and keep my own personal bottle of Sriracha sauce right at the desk next to my computer.

It looks like you're doing a great job of sticking with the plan based on your menu lists. Congratulations!
Ege Bamyasi

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals