My return to the best WOE!

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

My return to the best WOE!

Postby wildflower » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:31 pm

I started McDougalling for the second time on October 9th. I first started on Thanksgiving Day of 2012 and stayed with it until about June. I started eating a few cookies here and there and that snowballed into ice cream, pizza, and many more cookies. I gained weight and had to take naps every day.

Some changes this time: no beans, and workouts 3-6 times a week. I already started workouts over the summer, so that habit is already in place. I feel much better without eating any beans. I love every other type of starch, including lentils and split peas. I am finding it even easier this time. My starting weight was, I'm guessing, around 132. On my small frame, I would be very happy to be about 118, which is the weight I was at age 18. I haven't worn a bathingsuit in eight years and in a few months I'm going on a vacation and my children want me to go swimming with them, so I would love to be a fit 118 by December. Just since October 9th, I am already down to 123, and I am eating a lot (almost all starches with only a small amount of vegetables and two pieces of fruit) and feel very full most of the day.

My daily meals since October 9th have been oatmeal with raisins for breakfast every day (with some cinnamon and a little sea salt - probably too much salt in the beginning before my taste buds adjusted), a Right Foods soup for lunch at work (I am going to try to find some better daily lunches), and potatoes with dal, mashed sweet potatoes and vegetables, or rice and vegetables for dinner. I've had a slice of oil-free whole-grain bread with apple butter for a snack sometimes while I'm waiting for dinner to cook and that holds me over perfectly. I am surprised that a girl like me with a major sweet tooth for twenty years can be so satisfied without dessert, but I really am. As long as I eat enough, I don't crave it at all. That is a first. The last time, I made Mary's brownie recipe or the tofu pudding once a week. Then in the spring I started eating vegan chocolate chips as a snack. I am committed this time to no chocolate or sugary snacks for at least six months.

At the end of the day today, I will post my meals and the exercise.
Last edited by wildflower on Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wildflower

Re: My return to the best WOE!

Postby wildflower » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:25 pm

B: oatmeal with raisins
L: leftover vegetable soup from last night's dinner, two slices of wholegrain/oil-free toast with apple butter
D: Rice with red lentil dal, and the rest of the vegetable soup

As much as I love soup, it doesn't fill me up for long and that's why I had two slices of toast afterward. So I don't think I'm going to do soup often, unless it's a thick soup like split pea.

Another thing that is helping me a lot this time is drinking more water. I sometimes think my body craves sweets when I'm really just thirsty. I have had zero desire for chocolate since I started this. When I think of chocolate now, I think of being unsatisfied. I know it's not going to satiate me, so I don't even want to bother with it. I have the same feeling towards it as eating cardboard. I also have the best feelings when I am eating starches. When I took my first bite of the leftover soup today for lunch, it tasted like the most delicious thing I've ever had. (I would have enjoyed it even more without the crunchy sand/dirt in it - next time I will remember to wash the kale!)

For exercise today, I walked for half an hour at the park, then later did a 25-minute aerobics with weights DVD.

After I ate dinner, I wanted to do a workout. I used to want to sleep after I ate. Also, I am energetic all day after 7 hours of sleep, whereas I used to need 9 hours and naps.
wildflower

Postby wildflower » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:15 pm

B: Oatmeal with raisins
L: Right Foods soup
S: Left-over rice/red lentil dal
D: Mashed yams and spinach

(no exercise today)

I thought I would want a snack after dinner, but I'm still full.

I remember last November I was very tired for about a week and then I was never tired during the day again. That happened this time, too. At about day 8, my energy level went way up.

I'm thinking of making more dinner so I can bring in the leftovers to work and microwave them there. I could do that a few times a week, at least.

I haven't weighed myself for a few days. I was holding pretty steady at 123 before, and I'll check again in a couple of days.

I would love if my children wanted to eat this way all the time. They are both definitely eating better, especially in the last few weeks. I'm taking the slow and steady approach, just trying to add in more and more healthy foods and gently steering them away from dairy. They have been vegetarians (their choice) for almost five years. I tried a few times over the last five years to talk them into eating meat, but they both completely refused, so now I'm happy about that. I'm trying to stay focused on the good things that they do like. One likes apples with peanut butter (and most other fruits), oatmeal, and baked "fries". The other likes whole wheat bread, spaghetti with oil-free sauce, baked fries and lentils. Hopefully the lists will grow.
wildflower

Postby wildflower » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:46 pm

L: Right Foods soup (didn't have enough leftovers to bring to work)
S: Banana
D: Baked stuffed squash

Exercise: 25 minute aerobics with weights DVD

I ate an entire acorn squash stuffed with brown rice for dinner. I am so full, yet I could run around and do several workouts in a row, if I didn't have other things to do. It's still interesting to me to be very full and not sluggish.

I'm noticing more improvement in my skin and faster healing. :-D

It's so much easier this time around. Last time, I was seriously wondering what I was going to eat every day, almost in a panic that something 'on plan' wouldn't be available when I was hungry. My whole life (before Nov 2012), I was hungry every few hours, or even every hour. Now, I'm satisfied for 5 hours. There seems to be so much more time in the day to plan what I want for dinner, or to just not be thinking about food at all.

Tomorrow I'll weigh in.
wildflower

Postby wildflower » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:07 pm

L: skipped - too busy at work
S: oatmeal with raisins
D: Mashed potatoes and corn

Exercise: 25-minute aerobics with weights DVD

Weight: 122 (-1 pound)

Interesting day today. Found out the place where I have worked for 3 1/2 years is being sold. I am no longer needed there as of today, but they are letting me continue for a little longer until I find a new job. I also looked forward to a delicious split pea soup for dinner, and when I was ready to serve it I discovered the peas were more stale than I thought and remained hard little pebbles after cooking. Plan B was to steam some potatoes and warm up some frozen corn for a late dinner. "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."

I was at a natural foods store this morning with one of my kids who was pointing out all of the tiny pies and pieces of cake. The thought crossed my mind that I will probably won't eat food like that again, and that's more than okay, because it's not the food that's going to make me feel great, look great, and function as I am meant to function. I remember how I felt this summer, and how I feel now can't compare. I feel light, happy, and nourished.
wildflower

Postby kkrichar » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:40 pm

Wow, wildflower, you seem to be handing the job sitch really well. Good for you for staying on plan even when you had a food disaster that would have put most people over the line! I'm impressed.

HW: 220 lbs BMI=36.3
CW: 162 lbs BMI=26.5
GW: 135 lbs BMI=22.3
kkrichar

Postby JT of PA » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:00 pm

wildflower wrote:Interesting day today. Found out the place where I have worked for 3 1/2 years is being sold. I am no longer needed there as of today, but they are letting me continue for a little longer until I find a new job.

I was at a natural foods store this morning with one of my kids who was pointing out all of the tiny pies and pieces of cake. The thought crossed my mind that I will probably won't eat food like that again, and that's more than okay, because it's not the food that's going to make me feel great, look great, and function as I am meant to function. I remember how I felt this summer, and how I feel now can't compare. I feel light, happy, and nourished.

Wildflower,

I will share with my wife regarding your job and we'll remember you as you move forward in this situation.

Great truth you shared about the bad stuff not making you feel/look/function as well as you do when your off it. It's so true and somehow I keep forgetting that truth. Thanks for reminding me. :)

All the best,
John
JT of PA

Postby wildflower » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:36 pm

John, Thank you so much for your kind words! It really means a lot to me!
wildflower

Postby wildflower » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:45 pm

Thank you kkrichar! I think I've reached the point where the only food I want to turn to in any situation is the true comfort food, whether I've ruined a recipe or lost my job. Thank you for your support, I really appreciate it!
wildflower

Postby wildflower » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:40 pm

L: Right Foods soup (didn't have pea soup from last night to bring into work)
S: Two slices of toast with apple butter
D: Split Pea Soup with carrots, and baked potato wedges
S: Half a cup of banana/strawberry smoothie

(No exercise today)

I really wanted the split pea soup last night, so I tried it again with newly bought yellow split peas and it was delicious! I also made a lot so I will have some for work tomorrow. One of my daughters made a fruit smoothie later and had extra, so I had a little bit of that. A really good day overall.

I have pretty much decided that since the lease on my apartment is supposed to be renewed on Tuesday, and I don't think I will have started a new job by then, that I'm going to stay with my mother for a few months. She lives in the next town over. We can keep with the same school and I can stay at the same job for a few more weeks, and it will give me a few months to start a new job and hopefully move out in the early spring. One great thing about it is that she is very open to eating this way and she likes everything I make (whereas my children are often afraid to try what I've made :lol: ).
Last edited by wildflower on Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
wildflower

Postby wildflower » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:34 pm

L: Split pea soup (from last night)
D: Rice, zucchini and peas.
S: Leftover mashed potato (about one potato)

Exercise: 25-minute DVD workout

I felt really good today. My lunch really filled me up until dinner time. Then I had the rice which was delicious. I sauteed the vegetables in a small amount of water, dry mustard, ginger and a little soy sauce, then added them to the rice - so good. Will I ever get over my surprise that I can feel so light and yet so full at the same time?!
wildflower

Postby wildflower » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:35 pm

L: split pea soup (from Thursday's dinner)
S: 1/2 cup fresh-squeezed OJ
D: Potato curry

(no exercise)

I don't usually drink juices, but my daughters were spending the day with my mother today while I worked and my mother bought me a small bottle. I used to drink it every day when I did the raw diet three years ago. It was good, but I do prefer to eat the whole fruit now.

I'm noticing some really positive changes. The skin on my hands was really dry last week and my lips had been a little chapped for a while, and now my hands are soft (without any lotion) and my lips are back to normal. Improved circulation? Or I'm just taking in more water than I used to? But since I've been drinking about the same amount of water for 2 1/2 weeks, I'm guessing that my circulation is improving. I felt really good today...more attractive. I tried on a tank top, and I haven't worn a tank top in public since I was about 16, but I think I might actually be comfortable wearing one by next spring, the way things are going.

I was thinking today about why I ever went off this way of eating over the summer. First, I never really did it the right way to begin with. I was eating chocolate/desserts every day. I should have saved those for special occasions. Second, I forgot how I used to feel (this summer I remembered). Third, I didn't know what I would eat over the summer because I usually don't feel like cooking much when it's hot. Since then, I've found a bunch of recipes that I would enjoy, and I could eat a little more fruit and definitely more cold salads (potato salad, etc.). My youngest daughter has the same love of sweets/chocolate that I used to have, and after her big breakfast today she said she couldn't even think about eating something sweet because she was so full. I told her that's how I feel every day. I feel like all those years of filling myself with cookies and cake, my body was searching for starches. Now that I am eating the right kinds of starches, the desire for the other stuff is completely gone. :)
Last edited by wildflower on Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildflower

Postby wildflower » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:39 pm

L: Potato curry (from last night's dinner)
S: 1/2 cup fresh-squeezed OJ (finished the bottle)
D: Rice with zucchini and peas

Weight: 121

Another great day. I felt like weighing myself today and I'm down another pound. Wow, only three more to go to reach my goal. I tried on a pair of size 6 shorts that I haven't been able to wear for a few years, and they fit perfectly.

I'm feeling very healthy.
wildflower

Postby wildflower » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:54 pm

L: Rice and veg from last night's dinner
D: Sloppy Lentil Joes (daughter's request)
S: 2 oz. fruit smoothie. Every other day my daughter makes a smoothie with bananas, frozen strawberries and water, and she gives me a tiny cup of it.

Noticed today: nails very strong, hair getting thicker, raced with daughter across a parking lot and felt like I could have run much longer (not out of breath at all).
Last edited by wildflower on Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildflower

Postby wildflower » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:24 pm

L: Sloppy Lentil Joes from last night
D: Autumn stew and a sweet potato

No exercise.

No snacks again today. I was pretty hungry before dinner because my lunch was smaller than usual, but the stew looked so good that I just wanted to wait for it.

I'm getting ready to move in the next few weeks and I think eating this way is really helping me to feel calm.
wildflower

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals