Weighing in

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

weigh in date ?

Postby Sunny » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:40 am

Me too, what ever date is fine by me.
Sunny

Postby Gramma Jackie » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:46 am

Restless Brain wrote:I'm all for changing the day to weigh in; whatever we can all agree to is fine with me. I used to post at a site years ago, which did the numbers like this: highest wt/current wt/goal wt, so mine currently would be 278/263.5/140. I NEVER got support on that website. I'm happily surprised at how many responses I've gotten already to my initial post here. Thanks fellow McDougallers!! :D

That sounds like a low carb website I used to be on.
Gramma Jackie

weigh in

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:52 am

So, what day are we doing our weigh-in?

190/182.8/135
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby Restless Brain » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:51 am

How about we all start tomorrow morning, Saturday. Wake up, pee, get on the scale, and post our weight.
Peace to all,
RB
Restless Brain

Postby Della Street » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:14 am

I'm 5'5" and currently weigh 142. I have 27 lbs to lose to get to my goal weight of 115. Would love to kiss the first 10 lbs goodbye in a month so I am doing mostly MWL.

(This is my first time posting in this type of format, so I hope I have done this correctly).

:-D
Della Street
http://cotton-picker.blogspot.com
http://cottonpickercooking.blogspot.com
Della Street

Sounds good to me ...

Postby Sunny » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:38 pm

Tomorrow morning will be our first official weigh in. :?:
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

Here's an incentive, maybe

Postby Malva » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:01 pm

It took me about a year and a half to lose 40 lbs. (from 163 to 123; 5'4", 52 year old woman). I had lost weight before with other programs (NutriSystem and starvation), but was never, ever able to stay at "goal weight" for more than a few weeks before it would gradually increase.

Those other systems put you on a diet but never taught you how to eat normally to weigh normal.

McDougalling is a life-long, lifestyle "diet". It's not meant to be something you do for a short while, get to goal, and then you are on your own.
Rather, you are McDougalling for life. Your weightloss might be slow, but you'll be able to keep it down for life.

I reached my goal after losing the last few pounds with the "Mary Mini" two months ago, and not a pound has come back! Just eating the same wholesome, whole foods everyday, and doing my speedwalking. This is so easy, and makes me look forward to each day as I grow stronger and healthier.

So, needless to say, I'm a MAJOR of fan of Dr. McDougall, and "McDougalling". :)
Malva

Postby Grateful » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:59 pm

I'm in....may not post tomorrow morning cause will be leaving early for the day. But will do so when I return. Malva, what is speedwalking? Are there any tapes or books to explain? Thanks.
Grateful

Saturday morning it is!

Postby Restless Brain » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:22 pm

I'm usually not a take-charge kind of person, but since nobody objected and some agreed, let's have our first official weigh-in tomorrow morning; whoever gets up first can start it.

Malva, you are absolutely right. McDougalling is not a diet, it is a lifestyle! I agree with you 100%. I personally just wanted to post my weight here each week to be accountable for my own actions, plus I'm sure I'll learn a lot from all of you while making new friends that are sharing the same lifestyle that I'm working toward.
Peace to all,
RB
Restless Brain

Sounds good to me....

Postby Sunny » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:44 pm

Tomorrow morning .... :-D
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

To Grateful

Postby Malva » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:35 pm

Grateful wrote:I'm in....may not post tomorrow morning cause will be leaving early for the day. But will do so when I return. Malva, what is speedwalking? Are there any tapes or books to explain? Thanks.

Speedwalking is a like walking fast without jogging.
If you've ever watched the Olympics where the guys and gals walk really fast with their hips swaying---that's speedwalking. It looks funny, but it's really fun, and it uses more muscles than jogging. So, I break into a jog off and on just to take a break.

I sweat like a horse while I'm speedwalking, more so than walking or jogging. Maybe it's from all the cars that slow down to look at me! :shock:
I do a more restricted Program to maintain my weight & health. I have been McDougalling for about 30 years, with a long transition, until I finally accepted this lifestyle, stayed on Program and reached my goal back in 2006.
Malva

Postby Mirrim » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:22 pm

Just found this great board. I'm re-committing to the McDougall plan. I've started and stopped over the years, but my health is really going south so I need to really stick with it. I weighed this morning at the gym and I'm right at 299. My goal's 150 so 149 to go :?
Mirrim

Postby limberone » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:39 am

Hello! I'm new to this board. I just wrote the letter below to my sister yesterday. Then I found the McDougall website -- what a fabulous idea! I should be posting here! In the letter below, I am talking about my fourth baby. I'm 5'8" and 36 years old.

He is 14 weeks old now. At 11 weeks old, I was back to the same weight (180) I weighed when I got pregnant. I'm not impressed with this, however, as I now still need to lose 40 pounds. Although I would like to lose 55 pounds in total, I am setting intermediate goals.

Goal # 1 = 155 pounds (loss of 25 pounds)
Goal # 2 = 140 pounds (loss of 40 pounds)
Goal # 3 = 125 pounds (loss of 55 pounds)

I've known for many months that I am overweight, but for some stupid reason (or perhaps it was a good reason...I am not sure yet), I decided to try on my size 10 CK jeans this morning. Not only do they NOT fit, I cannot even get them on! I can get them up to about the top of the 3/4 mark of the thigh, and that is all! When I look at these jeans from the back while they are empty, they look rather roomy ( i.e., rather large!), and they do not even come close to being able to fit! I am horrified! Simply horrified! I told myself months ago that I would not go through this winter wearing leggings (because that is all that fits), but here I am, on the cold days this month, wearing leggings, because that is all that fits. At least the maternity jeans are just too big, but they should be too big!

Right now, there are just under 10 weeks left in 2006. I do not want to weigh this much ever again! I do not want to weigh this much when 2007 gets here. I've been reading several of John McDougall's books (he proposes a vegan diet with no added fat in the form of oils, nuts, seeds, avocados). I used his books 10 years ago when I lived in Denton, and I was about 135 pounds (and very small) then. The size 10 CK jeans would have been very loose on me that year. But I bought them in 1998 when I was at the Nordstrom in Indianappolis. Anyway, I stray from the topic.

I am starting this very minute to eat what is right. I have been eating 1000s of extra calories in junk food for too many years. For dinner tonight, I will either make something from one of the McDougall books, or I will defrost one of the soups from the freezer. I am so living in denial that I'm not really that big, and I justify every little (and big) bite or sip with stupid reasons. Enough is enough -- I am insane for eating the same things over and over again and hoping for different results ( i.e. weight loss).

Since I have so much to lose (and possibly so much self-esteem to gain), I am planning to lose 2 pounds a week for the next ten weeks, and when the new year gets here, I will weigh 160. Then I will re-evalute and see where to go from there.
limberone

Previous

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals