Journal - Thoughts and Details

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Journal - Thoughts and Details

Postby sirdle » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:08 am

The last two weeks were not as bad as I expected: I managed to drop 2.8 pounds (1.4 pounds each week) even with poor food choices.

The week after Christmas - a wonderful week spent with our extended family. Plenty of walking (and driving). Oatmeal, fruit, and bread for breakfast (slipping toward pastries later in the week :roll: ). Veggie sandwiches for lunch with fruit and Cliff bars. Ethnic dinners: Italian, Mexican, Chinese, American (LOL). I used portion control to try to limit the fats and oils. I knew it was going to be a tough week and I'm surprised how well it turned out.

The following weekend - I was sick with the flu. :( So I did not get my lunches made for the week. As a result I ate a lot of Cliff bars and went out for pizza once. Dinners amounted to left-over 'sick food'. Campbell's chicken noodle soup, Hawaiian sweet bread, applesauce, bananas.

It was a huge relief to make it to Saturday! Yesterday, I made it to the market to stock up on salad fixings and potatoes! I also cooked a 'Cathy Fisher' meatless (potato) stew.

Yesterday...
I hate to throw out food. For dinner I had some of my wife's left over pasta with Italian sausage and arabiata sauce. But I'll probably throw the rest of it away. I also finished her remaining flour tortillas. :oops:

Food

Breakfast
2 instant oatmeal packets

Snack
3 small baked potatoes... with salsa
2 clementines

Lunch
3C potato stew
12 oz Frozen blueberries

Snack
2 flour tortillas
2 clementines

Dinner
2.5 oz spelt pasta
... with Italian sausage and arabiata sauce :oops:

Desert
12 oz Frozen blueberries
2 flour tortillas

Exercise

10-min warmup, rowing machine
40-min strength training, lower body

This was my first time rowing since I injured my elbow 6 weeks ago. So far, so good.
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby GlennR » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:05 pm

What rowing machine are you using? I've been thinking of getting one for home use as the temperatures continue to drop outside, commuting the gym isn't all that attractive. :-D
Glenn
GlennR

Postby sirdle » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:33 pm

GlennR wrote:What rowing machine are you using?

I use a Concept 2 (C2), model D.

I strongly recommend the C2. I have not used any other ergs (ergometers), but the reason I recommend the C2 is that they have a vibrant online community of enthusiasts... and I find that that community helps me to stay motivated.

1. C2 has training videos, so you can learn the correct form.

2. C2 sponsors online rowing 'events' throughout the year (both for individuals and for teams) to help keep you motivated.

3. C2 offers an online logbook, where you can keep track of metres and compare your times with other people.

4. C2 offers various 'training plans' to help with your goals... ranging from simple weight loss, to racing in a 2K, to rowing a marathon.

5. Dozens of online 'teams' offer additional encouragement and support. I belong to Free Spirits. You might want to check out our forum and the metreboard. Also you might be interested in the first post on the Beginners thread... and another post on goal setting.

6. Another thing I find extremely useful is a piece of software call Row Pro which is designed to work with the C2. This software allows you to connect your C2 to a computer... log on to the Oarbits server and row with other people in scheduled 'events'. Your computer displays an animated 'river' with each rower represented by an animated rower. Each time you take a stroke, your avatar also takes a stroke. You can see how fast each other rowers is rowing and whether they are pulling away or if you are catching up. You can chat with the other rowers before and after the event. You can even schedule your own event if you don't like any of the distances or times of the other scheduled events.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby GlennR » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:51 pm

That's very helpful. I have used the C2 at the gym quite often and was deciding between it and the Lifecore R100. The only reason I hesitated was this review of the two machines.

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/downloads/dl/file/id/158/r100_vs_concept_ii.pdf

However the advantages of a supportive community can't be understated.

Thanks!
Glenn
GlennR

Postby sirdle » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:50 pm

GlennR wrote:That's very helpful. I have used the C2 at the gym quite often and was deciding between it and the Lifecore R100. The only reason I hesitated was this review of the two machines.

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/downloads/dl/file/id/158/r100_vs_concept_ii.pdf

However the advantages of a supportive community can't be understated.

Thanks!

Have you tried the R100?

That is a very impressive review, and if I had never rowed on the C2 I would be tempted to purchase the R100. However, since I have rowed over 3,000,000 meters on the C2 (I am practically a newbie - Joi Bear has rowed 107,000,000), I find some of the items simply wrong and others perplexing.

1. Warranty -- R100 (5 years), C2 (2 years)
The difference might be due to C2 rowers rowing more metres per year, on average. I purchased my erg in 2009 and the only maintenance I have done is oil the chain once a year. According to C2, although some parts are covered by a 2-year warranty, most of the parts are covered by a 5-year warranty.

2. Weight Rating -- R100 (600 lbs), C2 (250 lbs)
According to C2, the maximum user weight is 500 lbs.

3. Resistance Levels -- R100 (16), C2 (10)
Er... no. The C2 has a continuously-variable damper, so the number of resistance levels is infinite!

4. Resistance Type -- R100 (air + magnetic), C2 (air only)
This might be the strongest point in favour of R100. The magnetic component probably makes for a much quieter rowing experience... however, since I often row with earbuds I don't know that I'd notice.

5. Resistance Control -- R100 (automatic), C2 (manual)
The reviewers award this round to R100, but I think this is a very strong point in favour of C2! The C2 was designed to respond in a way that is very similar to rowing shells, so that rowers could train during the off-season (when rivers are frozen). A manual resistance setting equals repeatability so that you can compare similar workouts and you can compare individual rowers to each other.

6. Heart Rate Control -- R100 (automatic), C2 (none)
Again, contrary to the review, I award this round to the C2. I always row based on heart rate. My heart rate monitor communicates wirelessly with the C2 display (The C2 model I have works with Garmin and Suunto), but I want to be in control of my rowing sessions... speeding up when my heart rate drops and slowing down when I need a breather. I don't think a machine is better able to determine what my heart rate should be than I am.

7. Foot Plate Design/Angle -- R100 (pivoting/externally rotated), C2 (rigid/neutral)
I don't really understand what the reviewer is saying. The C2 foot plates are rigidly mounted at the top, but the bottom can move up and down and rotate side to side... so your feet are never locked into one position. At the beginning of the drive, you want your shins to be vertical (don't over-compress your knees!). If you lack ankle flexibility your heals will need to rise up off the foot plate. The C2 design allows for this. (However, I usually row strapless because this allows for finer control over my rowing technique.)

8. Seat Design -- R100 (over-sized soft), C2 (smaller, harder)
An oversize, soft seat allows for energy to be wasted. This is why you never see racing bicycles with the same soft seats that everyday bicycles have. Again, the C2 was designed to mimic the feel of rowing shells. I prefer to have a hard seat which I can then soften with a towel or bubble wrap depending on the type of training I am doing. 500 m time trial = no padding; half-marathon = lots of padding!

9. Monitor -- R100 (back-lit high definition LCD), C2 (basic LCD)
A new C2 will come with the PM5 monitor, which is back-lit.

10. Storage -- R100 (conveniently folds), C2 (must be separated in two pieces)
The C2 can be stored without separating the pieces; it can be tilted on end and stored vertically. However, you can also break it down into two pieces by flipping the quick-release catch. No tools necessary!

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

P.S. You are more than welcome to come join the Free Spirits!
sirdle

Postby sirdle » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:10 am

Yesterday...

Food

Breakfast
3 instant oatmeal packets
... with frozen blueberries

Snack
2 flour tortillas
2 clementines

Lunch
2 medium/small baked potatoes... with salsa
3C mega salad

Snack
12 oz blueberries

Dinner
2.5C potato stew

Desert
2 Clementines
2 flour/corn tortillas

Exercise

Jogging - 40 min, 9-min pace.
sirdle

Postby Starch Chick » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:16 pm

How are you doing for February?

:)
.....Beth
"It's the food" - Dr McDougall
Starch Chick

Postby sirdle » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:25 pm

Starch Chick wrote:How are you doing for February? :)

Hey Starchy!

Nice of you to ask. :-P

I'm doing very well.

1. I''m down 2.5 pounds for the month.
2. The elbow problem I had at the end of last year finally seems to have healed.
3. I'm eating fairly well (probably 85-90% compliant).
4. I'm getting in 3 strength training and 2-3 cardio workouts each week.
5. I'm eating oatmeal for breakfast each morning (instead of stopping at 7-eleven).
6. On most days I manage to take my lunch to work.

I've been very pressed for time and I find that I'd much rather read Amanda's and Geo's posts than figure out my own posts. :P

My biggest problem is not with bingeing or cravings... it is with logistics. The days that I don't prepare my lunches, I end up eating Cliff bars all day or maybe a veggie sandwich. But when I get my lunches made, I eat much more healthily.

I've lost 55 pounds in the last year and I continue to lose (on average) just over a pound a week. I figure another 15 pounds and then I'll have to pay closer attention to my calorie density or I'll waste away to nothing!

Life in very good. :-P
sirdle

Postby Starch Chick » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:43 pm

Sounds like you are doing great. Congrats on the weight loss. You are on a roll :)

You are doing better than me on exercise. I am trying to get going. I'm doing my 10,000 steps most days but I want to start doing more

I agree with you, the only thing with eating this way is there is more planning involved.
One thing that helps me is once a week I make a big pot of pinto beans or red lentil chili, and freeze in small containers. Then I can just pull one out, serve over potatoes or rice. I got one of those potato express bags to microwave my potatoes in and they turn out nice and moist.. I also bought a really large rice cooker, make a big batch, and freeze in 2 cup serving sizes in ziploc bags.

Keep up the good work
.....Beth
Starch Chick

Postby sirdle » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:46 am

Thanks Starchy!

==========

I get bored posting the same good foods that I've eaten each day, so I thought I would try something different this month... Starting today, I will keep track of each of the non-compliant foods that I eat and try to understand why I have eaten them.

I expect these will fall into the following categories...

1. Temptation too strong.
  2. Lack of planning.
  3. Lack of commitment.

... but I may discover more categories as the month progresses. :o

==========

It's Friday. Fridays are my worst days.

Last weekend I spent all weekend chopping food, cooking food, cleaning up after cooking food, exercising, reading about food, studying for my cooking class, recording my exercise, and eating food. It was exhausting.

The result was that this week I managed oatmeal, a humongous salad each day, some boiled potatoes with different kinds of sauces for lunch, and chili for dinner. The salad, oatmeal, and potatoes are all gone (all that work lasted only 4 days!)

So today,

(2) oatmeal raisin walnut cliff bars for breakfast
12" Subway veggie deluxe for lunch

Oatmeal Cliff Bars - each
250 calories
45 calories from fat
5g fat
0.5g saturated fat
3g polyunsaturated fat
1g monounsaturated fat
150mg sodium
20g sugar

Ingredients
brown rice syrup
rolled oats
raisins
soy protein isolate
cane syrup
walnuts
roasted soybeans
soy flour
oat fiber
rice flour
natural flavors (?!)
soybean oil
molasses powder
cinnamon
rice starch
salt
barley malt extract
calcium carbonate
mixed tocopherols

Wow! I guess I should read the label more closely in the future!

Subway Veggie Deluxe
veggies
mustard
bread

Who knows what's in the bread. It is certainly not whole grain.

Today's excuse: Lack of Planning. :o

Cheers, :-P
sirdle

Postby Starch Chick » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:21 pm

Lack of planning gets us all sometimes.

All we can do is learn from it
What will we do better next time?

Keep on going and make your next meal "on plan"
.....Beth
Starch Chick

Postby sirdle » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:59 pm

Starch Chick wrote:Lack of planning gets us all sometimes.

All we can do is learn from it
What will we do better next time?

Keep on going and make your next meal "on plan"

Thanks Starchy!

I actually didn't make it to Subway, today. I was having a bad day, so I worked only 1/2 a day and went home and had some on-plan chili, instead. :)

What will I do differently? Good question. In terms of a 'morning snack' I think it is best to get in the habit of cutting up a couple of apples to take with me to work (which I could have done this morning, but forgot I had in the coolerator). In terms of 'emergency lunches' I'm not sure. I have some McDougall soups in my desk drawer (which I also forgot about), but I think I also need to look for a few places that have salad bars...

Cheers, :-P
sirdle

Postby sirdle » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:07 am

Last off-plan food was 3/3. :)

Today is 3/9

Stopped at 7-Eleven to buy 1 gallon of water for work, ended up with:

2 oatmeal cliff bars
20 oz decaf coffee

:(

Today's excuse: Lack of Planning

Note to self: bring water from home! :o
Last edited by sirdle on Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sirdle

Postby landog » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:23 am

It looks like you've been making progress.
It seems like Cliff Bars are a recurring theme. You might do well to avoid them totally.

:D
landog

Postby sirdle » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:39 pm

landog wrote:It seems like Cliff Bars are a recurring theme. You might do well to avoid them totally.

:D

:D Yes. Absolutely. I can't believe I walked out of the house and left my cut-up apples sitting on the counter... Well, actually, I can. :P
sirdle

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals