Grit and Determination

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Grit and Determination

Postby squealcat » Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:12 pm

Welcome back Moonlight ! You were missed ! Our little group here has livened up quite a bit and is so supportive and fun !

I like the idea of native plants in the garden. It makes me think of my daughter's garden last year. She planted milkweed to encourage Monarch butterflies. She had SO many monarch caterpillars on those plants it was amazing ! She later found out the milkweed she planted was not native to the area.....but at least she helped increase those butterflies ! I don't think she has them this year.

-Marilyn
squealcat

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:02 pm

Moonlight's here! Hey there :) wonderful to see you! I know you can do this! We can do it!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby VegSeekingFit » Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:07 pm

moonlight wrote:
VegSeekingFit wrote:
moonlight wrote:Please try not to be discouraged!!! Just try to incrementally make positive changes.... (and don't beat yourself up... per Mark C... :) ) .... That was best advice I ever was (finally) able to implement...

Cheers,
Stephanie

Hi Stephanie,

Thanks for the welcome back! Your advice from MarkC is going to be my mantra!! Also, I'm looking forward to the companionship and encouragement I get from this group.

Native plants in landscaping are awesome. What plants do you have? Every year I am torn between focusing more on flowers and shrubs and less on vegetable garden, but the veggies always just suck me in. The last couple of years I have been growing and expanding a native flower/herb area in front of the vegetable garden to encourage pollinators and natural predators. It has turned out to be a lovely flowerbed.

Take care,
Moonlight

Hi Moonlight!!! :) :-D

I am serious when I propagate this advice from Mark... It was super challenging for me to (a) determine that it does apply to me and (b) figure out how to apply it. However, think it is key to getting back on-track (when needed) without trouble... was a "messy" process for me!!! :lol: But, thinking all worthwhile change may be a bit messy...

I didn't grow any veggies this year... I have sometimes luck, sometimes not and it is fairly unpredictable... So.... a I do a few annual flowers and then look to keep the native plants propagated (and the weeds in check)!!!

Love what you said about encouraging the pollinators / natural predators with the native plants. :) There are a couple of households that I see on my walks that have a sign in front that says something like "We are gardening for birds and pollinators... even with a small backyard, you can too..."

We have a ton of Goldenrod and various prairie grasses, especially switchblade (but also others). Also, black-eyed susans.... Thought that Queen Anne was a native plant, but am reading new book "Native Plants of the Midwest" and have learned that this was brought over as a wildflower from Europe.

Hope that you are having an easy time moving forward to MWL habits!!! So, glad to see you back. :cool:

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Ruff » Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:45 pm

Moonlight! Hi! Ruff/Katie here :-D

I have to dash off to a chiropractic appointment but I just wanted to say Hi, and welcome back. I will read your journal properly when I get back.
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Previous

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals